• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(Round of 16) - England 2-0 Germany - Tuesday 29th June, 2021

football forum

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, shut up said:

Not sure I agree with this. We're the youngest & least experienced team in the tournament. This team is only going to get better over the next 4-6 years.

I'm going to assume part of this post is in relation to the fact the side of the bracket avoids the major favorites to win...including Belgium, Italy, Portugal, and France.

Just now, shut up said:

He's talking about beating Germany specifically? The bracket is irrelevant 

I'm reading it as him saying...

If England don't beat Germany, they won't have a better chance to win a major tournament

Just now, shut up said:

Ah fair, even that i disagree with tbh. This squad is nowhere near its peak. 

We actually said the same thing about the world cup too when we finished second and got an 'easier' draw. 

Which world cup did you finish 2nd in?

1 minute ago, shut up said:

Ah fair, even that i disagree with tbh. This squad is nowhere near its peak.

But you'd be silly not to realize that you have the defending champions, the world cup champions, the #1 ranked team in the world, all on the OTHER side of the bracket. That's a fortunate draw and nothing wrong with admitting as much.

Just now, shut up said:

We've never finished 2nd or 3rd, it was fourth. 

My bad, I misread your post thinking you finished 2nd in the World Cup, but Phil mentions that you meant the Group Stage.

I'll be going for Germany in this game, and for some reason, I believe they will win this match.

I got a couple of German kits so I just need to figure out which one to don for this match.

14 hours ago, shut up said:

Not sure I agree with this. We're the youngest & least experienced team in the tournament. This team is only going to get better over the next 4-6 years.

This is not true, just at the top of my head, Ukraine's starting 11 are slightly younger than England's starting 11 and I am sure there are other teams as well. If you are talking about the youngest squads, then it has been confirmed that Spain have the youngest squad at the Euros.

I mean even if Germany have a slightly older side than England, it doesn't mean that their future isn't bright. There are plenty of young German players in this squad and there are plenty of other youngsters coming through, who could be at the next World Cup for example. You could say the exact same about Germany, that their most promising young players are only going to get better over the next 4-6 years. Squads and starting 11's change from tournament to tournament. We have to deal with the here and now. We will see who the better side is out of England v Germany on the 29th at Wembley. Talking about the future is pure speculation. No one can say with any confidence, that England's youngsters will be better than Germany's youngsters in the next 4-6 years or vice versa.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, McAzeem said:

Germany to win and take revenge of their 1966 final robbery.

55 years of hurt as their song goes... 

15 hours ago, shut up said:

Pretty sure the same was said after the 2018 World Cup and that was 3 years ago. 

As for this, I only want Germany to win as if England pull it off, the media wankfest will begin once again, followed by the inevitable DVD/Blu-Ray release of this game. 

1 minute ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Pretty sure the same was said after the 2018 World Cup and that was 3 years ago. 

As for this, I only want Germany to win as if England pull it off, the media wankfest will begin once again, followed by the inevitable DVD/Blu-Ray release of this game. 

Being honest I've started watching the England games 30 seconds prior to kick off. As much as I want to them to progress, the 60 minute build up to the game is a Harry Kane wankfeast. I can't stomach it anymore.

I've gone for a draw in the prediction thread but I'm actually now starting to think we might win this game. 

Law of average says we've got to beat them in a knockout eventually and when I look a the German side it's full of players fimiliar with members of our squad. 

Other than Kimmich, Kroos, Goretzka, I don't think there is an outfield player we can't match man for man. Muller will always be a threat with his experience but Sane and Gnabry haven't been brilliant. 

Germany lack a top draw striker and I think this could the game our man at the top of the pitch finally turns up to the tournament. 

Personally I'd start Sancho, he trains daily with Hummels and Co so surely can expose their weeknesses. 

England seem to be held to a weird standard different from everyone else. And I don’t mean that they’re good either. The commentators yesterday were telling us how this Italy team is of greatness and the country can be proud of them again. Why exactly? Apparently they’re fantastic because they haven’t conceded. Neither have England? But England are seen as just lucky because they haven’t conceded. Always some weird double standard. And I’m not even an England fan persay. If they happened to win this tournament, all you would hear is how they won because of the side of the draw they’re in. 

It's the hope that kills you. As I heard on a podcast the other day we'd drawn France we could just say 'Ah well you never know' and perhaps enjoy the build up slightly more as we'd kind of be resigned to losing that game. But Germany seem to have a certain fragility about them, making a England win here perfectly plausible. 

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

England seem to be held to a weird standard different from everyone else. And I don’t mean that they’re good either. The commentators yesterday were telling us how this Italy team is of greatness and the country can be proud of them again. Why exactly? Apparently they’re fantastic because they haven’t conceded. Neither have England? But England are seen as just lucky because they haven’t conceded. Always some weird double standard. And I’m not even an England fan persay. If they happened to win this tournament, all you would hear is how they won because of the side of the draw they’re in. 

But Italy are actually playing well and not conceding, and provide some modicum of entertainment. England have been boring for the most part and don't concede.

• The title was changed to (Round of 16) - England 2-0 Germany - Tuesday 29th June, 2021
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived