talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FIFA Arab Cup 2021

In place of the Confederations Cup this time.

Group A: Qatar, Iraq, Oman, Bahrain

Group B: Tunisia, UAE, Syria, Mauritania

Group C: Morcooc, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Palestine

Group D: Algeria, Egypt, Lebanon, Sudan

This used to quite relevant until a decade or two ago. Considering the dynamics of the region there are some intense rivalries. I  also like the idea as it pitches Asian and African sides together, something which should be more frequent competitively.

The qualifiers draw good crowds from the expat communities.  

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, McAzeem said:

In place of the Confederations Cup this time.

Group A: Qatar, Iraq, Oman, Bahrain

Group B: Tunisia, UAE, Syria, Mauritania

Group C: Morcooc, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Palestine

Group D: Algeria, Egypt, Lebanon, Sudan

This used to quite relevant until a decade or two ago. Considering the dynamics of the region there are some intense rivalries. I  also like the idea as it pitches Asian and African sides together, something which should be more frequent competitively.

The qualifiers draw good crowds from the expat communities.  

Well, this tournament is finally being recognised by FIFA. Prior to this years tournament, I don't think it was a FIFA organised and recognised event. So contrary to what you suggested, I think this has just become more relevant than it was in the past. I agree with your views on the interesting match ups of West Asian Arab sides and the North African Arab sides, the teams from these two respective regions tend to play a different style of football to each other. So it's interesting when they meet and we see the different styles of playing football clash.

As only two teams qualify from each respective group, here is who I think will qualify:

Group A: Oman and Iraq(Qatar will actually probably qualify with all their foreigners, but I really hope they don't)

Group B: Tunisia and the UAE

Group C: Morocco and Saudi Arabia

Group D: Algeria and Egypt

11 minutes ago, Michael said:

I don't think it was a FIFA organised and recognised event. So contrary to what you suggested, I think this has just become more relevant than it was in the past.

More relevant for global audience this time yes but back at home in the Arab world it was a big regional championship from 60s and onwards. Like the British home nations championship 

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, McAzeem said:

December this year

Wow, so there's this competition and then the African Nations Cup in Jan/Feb 2022!?

So some players could be missing from their clubs for a good 2-3 months?

Looking at the likes of Mahrez, Salah, Saiss, Benrahma, Ziyech, Trezeguet...? All of those play for nations that will compete in this Arab Cup and AFCON...

1 hour ago, McAzeem said:

More relevant for global audience this time yes but back at home in the Arab world it was a big regional championship from 60s and onwards. Like the British home nations championship 

Fair enough, but don't you think that because this competition has now been recognised by FIFA, that the audiences in the Arab world will now once again give it more attention and importance? 

• 4 months later...

European based players will not be available for this but these matches will affect FIFA rankings. African teams wouldn't want to slip out of top seed before the playoffs, apart from Algeria other North African teams can slip out or get into top seed from these matches. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived