talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Aaron Ramsdale Linked With Arsenal

23 minutes ago, shut up said:

What state? We only finished 5 points behind you last season. And we've a younger squad. People don't half overreact when it comes to Arsenal 😄 

Proud to finish 8th? 5 pts behind Rodgers Leicester? 
Your best player is Auba, and he's running out of hair. Your squad is dogshit, no better than Everton or West Ham these days, and your manager is worse. 

Saka will leave for the first big club that comes calling, though surely you're used to being a selling on club by now. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
38 minutes ago, shut up said:

What state? We only finished 5 points behind you last season. And we've a younger squad. People don't half overreact when it comes to Arsenal 😄 

Proving my point that you can buy wildly season upon season and get where? 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, shut up said:

Auba is nowhere near our best player. He contributed nothing last season, and isnt even in the top 3. We've got one of the youngest squads in the league that's full of potential. Tierney, Gabriel, White, Odegaard, Saka, Smith Rowe, Martinelli, Lokonga, Partey (okay he's not a youngster), Pepe. 

Manager is the main issue. Any decent manager would be able to get a tune out of this squad.

Pepe is 26 xD

4 minutes ago, shut up said:

Where did we buy wildly last season? £45m Partey and £26m. two quality player. Very wild 😄

Willian on big wages is wild.

Arsenal just seem very up and down, Lokonga is a brilliant signing imo. As will Odegaard be and when White plays alongside Gabriel that partnership will look good.

But there are some massive blunders, notably Luiz, William, Pepe, Auba turning to shit the moment he signed his contract

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, shut up said:

I know?

So he's not that young and beyond a player that has 'potential'.

Its like what Leicester fans would say about Demarai Gray as he turned 24, 25, 26. They'd say he still has potential and can come good. Sorry but if he's not showing what he can do at this age it's unlikely he'll get any better. The time to realise that 'potential' is fast running out... 

• Administrator

Where did we buy wildly last season? £45m Partey and £26m. two quality players. Very wild 😄

72m on Pepe the season before. 

27m on Saliba. What's he doing? 

25m on Torreira. What's he doing? 

22m on Leno. He's about to be replaced by Ramsdale when you could have kept Martinez? 

The recruitment of Arsenal has been way under par for a club of your stature. Expected better. On a downward trend. Used to be a club that regularly competes in CL. Then regularly became a club at EL level. Now a club that didn't even qualify for any European competition. 

So, for all your spending, where have you got to?? 

56 minutes ago, shut up said:

But shouldn't be Arsenal be shooting for higher than finishing 5 points behind Leicester? You're one of the country's biggest clubs... I'm not sure anyone at the club, fans included, should be content with a performance like last season.

Spending £500m in 5 seasons and ending up looking worse than you did 5 years ago is poor... no matter what club it is.

Although tbf, I think a lot of the problem is with Arteta. But I think recruitment at Arsenal has been pretty shit as well, so I don't think Edu has a good case for why he should keep his job tbh.

• Administrator

5th is where we should be, being 5 points off that isn't a 'state'.

Compared to where you used to be, it's a bit of a fall from grace... 

• Administrator

but the point is there isn't much difference in squad quality between AFC & LCFC like people are making out.

I'd heavily disagree (trying not to be biased xD). 

Not sure who I'd take in your squad to put in to ours. Tierney over Bertrand actually. And someone to replace Perez. 

That's about it. There's a lot of difference in my ever so humble opinion... 

27 minutes ago, Danny said:

Willian on big wages is wild.

Arsenal just seem very up and down, Lokonga is a brilliant signing imo. As will Odegaard be and when White plays alongside Gabriel that partnership will look good.

But there are some massive blunders, notably Luiz, William, Pepe, Auba turning to shit the moment he signed his contract

Pepe was one of our best attackers last season, was especially good in the second half of the season, Luiz wasn't actually that bad overall, but I'll concede that Willian was a big mistake and Auba was poor last season.

Manager is a bigger issue right now.

5 minutes ago, shut up said:

Yes we should be doing better & recruitment poor under Gazadis and the fat barca guy (both no longer here), but the point is there isn't much difference in squad quality between AFC & LCFC like people are making out. If we swapped manager's Rodgers would definitely finish more than 5 points above Arteta in charge of Leicester.

£500m is all relative. Look at what Chelsea, City, Man Utd and Liverpool have spent. It's way more than £500m, so expecting us to finish top4 is nuts, obviously 8th is poor. 5th is where we should be, being 5 points off that isn't a 'state'.

It's relative - but it's not really irrelevant. In the last 5 years, for example, we've spent £40m(ish) less than you... and we've got 2 CL finals (winning one) and a league title to show for it. And while last year was disappointing for us... we literally went through our worst run of form in our history as a football club and still managed to come 3rd.

You look at the top spenders in UK football - and I'm going to only go to 7th place with the top spenders, but I think it illustrates my point pretty well:

1. Man City (by far and away the biggest spenders, but also a plastic joke of a club that nobody really respects and anytime they don't win the quadruple it's an absolute failure imo)
  2. Chelsea (about £200m less than City, so still an outrageous amount of money - but they get results more often than not with their spending)
  3. Man Utd (honestly, I think this chart I'm copying off might be inaccurate because I'd have expected them to come second - but while I think they've been wasteful they've made steady improvement over the last 3 seasons - maybe not as quick as you'd like if you'd spent that money... but it's better than regression)
  4. Everton (lol)
  5. Arsenal (that's you)
  6. Brighton (lol, again)
  7. Liverpool

Now, personally, I'd expect Arsenal's big spending to have them closer to the likes of: City, Chelsea, United, and us... rather than their spending having them floundering around Everton and maybe looking better at making business decisions than Brighton (who are hilariously wasteful, tbh).

And I think it says something about the planning and decision making at clubs like Everton and Arsenal where you've got so much spending... but at best you're seeing stagnation, and at worse you're seeing regression.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, shut up said:

There isn't at all. The only reason people think that is cos of the constant media narrative that gets clicks 'Arsenal in a shambles vs Leicester building world class squad'

You've a much better manager and only finished 5 points ahead, and that's even when you won the game against us by the worst VAR decision ever given, so it's two points really. If we swapped manager's we'd easily finish 5 points+ ahead. 

So what players would you have in a combined XI? 

Anyone who watches football doesn't need to have a media narrative in their head so let's see what you come up with. I'm genuinely interested. 

The fact your aspiration is being compared to only finished 5 points behind us speaks volumes. Precisely why I think you've fallen quite far. We've been able to 'compete' for top 4 and although we fell at the final huddle twice, all you want to do is finish 5th? Again speaks volumes as to how the expectations and ambitions have changed. 

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

I'd heavily disagree (trying not to be biased xD). 

Not sure who I'd take in your squad to put in to ours. Tierney over Bertrand actually. And someone to replace Perez. 

That's about it. There's a lot of difference in my ever so humble opinion... 

As a neutral in this dogfight, I'd agree. I'd definitely take more players from Leicester at the moment than I'd take from Arsenal (don't even know who I'd take from Arsenal at all, tbh).

3 minutes ago, shut up said:

There isn't at all. The only reason people think that is cos of the media narrative that gets clicks 'Arsenal in a shambles vs Leicester building world class squad'

You've a much better manager and only finished 5 points ahead, and that's even when you won the game against us by the worst VAR decision ever given, so it's two points really. If we swapped manager's we'd easily finish 5 points+ ahead. 

They've got a much better manager but they've also spent over £100m less than you... and I'd definitely welcome more players from the Leicester squad than I would from the Arsenal squad if they were to join us.

I don't doubt that Arsenal under Rodgers would look like a better Arsenal side, even if we kept all the players the same. But honestly, that's sort of irrelevant to the job the current people running Arsenal have done.

• Administrator

That's because they look better due to having a manager playing to their strengths. These Leicester players would look like Championship players under Arteta, and a lot of these arsenal players would look class under Rodgers 

So not to do with any kind of media narrative then? 

We've actually won major trophies in that time though. 3 in fact.

League form is poor, but that's mainly due to two people who aren't here anymore, and Lego hair, who hopefully will be binned soon enough 

League form is the bread and butter of all football though. With bad league form, you're not going to make it to the CL and without the CL you'll sort of always be searching for players the tier under the best players in hopes of polishing them into players that'll be good enough to get you competing for the very top titles.

That's because they look better due to having a manager playing to their strengths. These Leicester players would look like Championship players under Arteta, and a lot of these arsenal players would look class under Rodgers 

This may very well be true. We won't really ever know until Arteta fucks off out of Arsenal and someone competent is brought in. I do think if we gave Leicester & Rodgers the same resources Arsenal had over the last 5 seasons... we'd be looking at a much bigger gap than 5 points though.

And that's really part of the issue. I agree with you that Arteta is not a good manager - I think he's in way over his head and there's no real fix for him at Arsenal other than getting sacked and learning how to be a manager at clubs where it's easier to learn on the job (a smaller club, maybe one that's not in a top flight or a top league). But I think another part of the issue is that the general decision making with how Arsenal spend has been... bad.

I don't blame Arsenal for things like Aubamayang giving up on caring about football after getting one last payday - that's on the player. But Arsenal have made a number of really uninspired signings in the last 5 years and it's led to Arsenal looking pretty average.

And for those of us (most of us) who grew up with Arsenal as one of the biggest clubs in the country and were used to seeing them play at least decent football, even if they couldn't clear the final hurdle, watching them look so dogshit and uninspiring all around... it's just weird. And I think with Arsenal's spending, we'd all have expected them to look a lot better than they currently do.

5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

In agreement with the Arsenal fans, Arteta primarily the issue. 

I agree with that. But I do think there's problems above Arteta (like Edu) that should also be addressed when Arsenal decide that the time is right to flush the turd that is Arteta.

The consensus is that we won’t miss him.. so you have to wonder what’s going on here, the quality drop from Henderson to Ramsdale was earth shattering to us, no idea why Arsenal are doing this but hey, knock yourselfs out.

Said in another thread, regarding the home grown quota but surely you’d just snap up someone from the academy or an old veteran from somewhere. 

Also the last time we had a manager that wasn't good enough and left us in a state of disrepair... his name was Brendan Rodgers... and yes, sacking him and bringing in someone with significantly more experience and competence did make a change right away.

But he did have to rectify some of the mistakes made in our squad under the previous regime. It's not like Rodgers' squad is the same one that saw us lift the title - we had to clear out deadwood and bring in players that were good enough to match our aspirations as well.

So why do they only just finish 5 points ahead despite having both a much better manager and better players in every position. Bit odd.

Serious answer: the league's got a lot of quality around the top 4 tbh, so breaking through to make the top 4 is pretty difficult. Even so, Rodgers has still made steady improvement since joining Leicester.

Less serious answer: beats me, tbh. The fact we finished 3rd despite some of the shit we went through this season indicates to me that there's only 2 good sides in the league and it's just another farmers league like Ligue 1.

Also just because I think Leicester have better players... doesn't mean I think all of Arsenal's players are total dogshit. I just think your squad is a far cry from where most people would reasonably expect Arsenal to be at.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, shut up said:

There isn't at all. The only reason people think that is cos of the constant media narrative that gets clicks 'Arsenal in a shambles vs Leicester building world class squad'

Because it's literally Arsenal and it's literally Leicester. We've made some great strides forward but if six years ago somebody had said you would be making these sorts of arguments you'd have laughed them off. I probably would've done as well.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, shut up said:

So why do they only just finish 5 points ahead despite having both a much better manager and better players in every position. Bit odd.

And won a trophy. Nothing sums your decline up more than the fact you're trying to turn this into a snipe at Leicester, rather than addressing your own issues. On the defensive. I'm amazed you're defending that shambles.

7 hours ago, shut up said:

Yes we should be doing better & recruitment poor under Gazadis and the fat barca guy (both no longer here), but the point is there isn't much difference in squad quality between AFC & LCFC like people are making out. If we swapped manager's Rodgers would definitely finish more than 5 points above Arteta in charge of Leicester.

£500m is all relative. Look at what Chelsea, City, Man Utd and Liverpool have spent. It's way more than £500m, so expecting us to finish top4 is nuts, obviously 8th is poor. 5th is where we should be, being 5 points off that isn't a 'state'.

Arsenal have spent almost £100m more than Liverpool since Klopp's first summer window in 2016

• Administrator

I very much doubt you were calling the FA Cup 'nothing special' when you were winning them regularly and that's all you could rely on for trophies given you've not won a league since 2004.

But whatever. 

Archived