talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(QF) Switzerland 1-1(p) Spain - Friday 2nd July, 2021

football forum

5 minutes ago, McAzeem said:

Expected Switzerland to be better at the penalties. Sommer man of the match for them. 

They took off too many of their attackers for defenders to see out the rest of the game and that was apparent from their penalty taking.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
Just now, Lucas said:

They took off too many of their attackers for defenders to see out the rest of the game and that was apparent from their penalty taking.

4 of their 5 penalty takers against France were on and they scored those... 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

4 of their 5 penalty takers against France were on and they scored those... 

They just played 120 more mins, it all adds up.

Plus, you can't continually back defenders and expect them to score.

• Subscriber
28 minutes ago, Michael said:

Yeah, it looks like a difficult decision to make, bur Michael Oliver decided it was a sending off offence after reviewing VAR and Mark Walton also apparently agreed that it is a red card offence. I mean Freuler's legs didn't seem high enough off the ground when he committed the foul, but the referee's know best. After all, it's their profession, they know all the details of the footballing laws.

16 minutes ago, Michael said:

Didn't he? Ok fair enough, but Kavanagh is still a referee and so is Peter Walton(What the ef made me say Mark lolxD). I mean they know the letter of the law, so I am sure they know what decisions to make when they are given the privilege of viewing the replays. Unless we are questioning their character.

The parts in bold sound a bit too much like appeal to authority to me and it annoyed me a bit, but that's probably not a right place or time to discuss that xD It also assumes that referees (or any other experts in their field) never make mistakes and can't be wrong, which is obviously not true. 

Anyway. In this particular case however, it appears that a few other current or former referees also think that the red card was too harsh (judging from their opinions on TV and social media), and it should have been a yellow, so there's no general consensus. They also pointed out that VAR likely didn't intervene because they didn't consider it a clear and obvious error. I guess it's fair enough, but then it leaves a lot of room for interpretation and uncertainty, so in a game of such importance, Oliver deciding to watch a replay before making a decision that could potentially change the outcome of the match would have surely been a much better decision? 

16 minutes ago, Stan said:

I've never once said referees dont make mistakes. I've just said they have a hard job and know the rules better than average people 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived