talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(QF) Belgium 1-2 Italy - Friday 2nd July, 2021

football forum

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really like both teams, and I think Belgium would have won this match, but now that Hazard and KDB are injured, I'm not sure. 

I'd be happy for either of them to win this game, and go on and win the tournament. 

Maybe it's me, but I don't see how Belgium win without De Bruyne and Eden Hazard.

The minute KDB came on in the Denmark game, he completely changed a game they were being absolutely bossed in, and Belgium missed him when he went off the other night v Portugal.

Equally, Hazard was just starting to find a bit of form too I thought before his injury and I just don't think Carrasco and Mertens are able enough replacements.

Admittedly, it's hard to judge Italy when they have yet to play a 'Top Tier' team but as of right now, I still think they are the boys to beat.

Italy weren't that great against Austria, but they will have Chiellini back which will be a big boost to their defence.

Italy will be there to be hit on the counter and Belgium will happily sit back with 5 defenders and a 2 man midfield, Lukaku against that back 4 when they're on the backfoot will be a difficult one for Italy to defend against.

This match is perhaps one of the more expected Q-Final line ups.

Could well mean low scoring & maybe even penalties.

Italy did seem in very good form, in perhaps a favourable group & with home advantage. But then they left Rome & came up against a stubborn Austria side.

Belgium had a similar story, but then eliminated Cristiano/Portugal rather than struggle past Austria.

Belgium do seem to be keeping as quiet as they can on De Bruyne & the better known Hazard.

Apparently neither will be '100% fit' for Italy.

Lukaku does play in Italy these days. Feels like an almost too obvious outcome that he eliminates Italy.

Difficult one to predict, but hopefully will be an entertaining close match.

I think Italy will go out here. :(

Belgium comes from a game where they were pressured by a top team, to get through. And that always gives you a boost mentally for what comes next.

Hope I'm wrong, but 2-1 Belgium.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, ASF said:

I think Italy will go out here. :(

Belgium comes from a game where they were pressured by a top team, to get through. And that always gives you a boost mentally for what comes next.

Hope I'm wrong, but 2-1 Belgium.

Are you not keen on Belgium? 

I think without KDB/Hazard I'm favouring Italy to win more. Had those two been playing its a different story as both were typically influential up to now, especially the latter finding form. 

Belgium are the walking wounded aren't they. Without KDB and Hazard I give them little chance myself, added to that Witzel is only just back from injury. 

You're left with Torgan Hazard, Mertens, Tiellemans and Carrasco to be the creative forces if they are missing. All good players but the two potentially missing are game changing players that every team would miss. 

6 hours ago, Stan said:

Are you not keen on Belgium? 

I think without KDB/Hazard I'm favouring Italy to win more. Had those two been playing its a different story as both were typically influential up to now, especially the latter finding form. 

Not at all.

A team that has been overrated since 2012 until now and, somehow, is regarded as the best thing since sliced bread from some sectors of football. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, ASF said:

Not at all.

A team that has been overrated since 2012 until now and, somehow, is regarded as the best thing since sliced bread from some sectors of football. 

There's a lot more talent in the squad than 2012 I think. At least far more recognisable and respected talent. 

Players like De Bruyne, Hazard, Lukaku, Witsel, Courtois are just a few players that are better now than they were back then.

Add to that the experience of Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Tielemans, Carrasco, Mertens and I think it's fair to say why people are taking more notice of them as a serious contender to achieve something.

I wouldn't go as far as they are the best ever team or anything like that, but when it comes to this tournament, they were definitely one of the strongest. 

• Administrator

Italy's anthem :x

Play it everywhere. Even when Italy aren't playing. If it doesn't get you psyched up for a game there's something wrong with you. 

6 hours ago, Stan said:

There's a lot more talent in the squad than 2012 I think. At least far more recognisable and respected talent. 

Players like De Bruyne, Hazard, Lukaku, Witsel, Courtois are just a few players that are better now than they were back then.

Add to that the experience of Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Tielemans, Carrasco, Mertens and I think it's fair to say why people are taking more notice of them as a serious contender to achieve something.

I wouldn't go as far as they are the best ever team or anything like that, but when it comes to this tournament, they were definitely one of the strongest. 

Which Hazard is that? :35_thinking: Both are excellent these days when they are on form. xD

• Administrator
Just now, Michael said:

Which Hazard is that? :35_thinking: Both are excellent these days when they are on form. xD

Eden. 

He must have been only about 20 in 2012? So he's better now than he was back then, and definitely more experienced... 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived