talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(QF) Ukraine 0-4 England - Saturday 3rd July, 2021

football forum

19 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Brushed aside 😂

Even if we pretend the Italians brushed aside Belgium, they sure as hell didn't brush aside Austria, did they? They very nearly got knocked out against the Austrians and the Groschlis were much the better team in the 2nd half. Belgium were missing Hazard against Italy and De Bruyne was clearly not 100% fit. I'd also say that Belgium's defence isn't the greatest. I am not trying to play down Italy's achievements, because they deserve to be in the semis, but they are hardly invincible like some people would try and make you believe.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Just got in. Sensible night we said. Before I jumped up screaming and got Karen singing with me along with the rest of the restaurant  we said. 

I fucking love England. 

Gareth has got me questioning anything I’ve ever known about football. The semi fucking finals. Can. Not. Fucking. Wait.

Its coming home. And I’m shagging you all.

17 minutes ago, Michael said:

Even if we pretend the Italians brushed aside Belgium, they sure as hell didn't brush aside Austria, did they? They very nearly got knocked out against the Austrians and the Groschlis were much the better team in the 2nd half. Belgium were missing Hazard against Italy and De Bruyne was clearly not 100% fit. I'd also say that Belgium's defence isn't the greatest. I am not trying to play down Italy's achievements, because they deserve to be in the semis, but they are hardly invincible like some people would try and make you believe.

44 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Brushed aside 😂

Belgium never looked like they were going to win. It wasn't a perfect victory but the Italians won with aplomb. Surely you can't deny that? I'm not convinced missing Eden Hazard this year was so much of a negative thing, he just simply isn't the player he was.

You're right, Italy did struggle against Austria but like England and Spain, even when they play bad, they win. But that is one game, teams can have lulls in their performance but besides that they have been fantastic. I'd argue England have been mediocre until the last two games where they have come into their own. If I'm honest there are some striking similarities between England and Italy but I do believe that Mancini is a better coach than Southgate and that does give them an edge.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Belgium never looked like they were going to win. It wasn't a perfect victory but the Italians won with aplomb. Surely you can't deny that? I'm not convinced missing Eden Hazard this year was so much of a negative thing, he just simply isn't the player he was.

You're right, Italy did struggle against Austria but like England and Spain, even when they play bad, they win. But that is one game, teams can have lulls in their performance but besides that they have been fantastic. I'd argue England have been mediocre until the last two games where they have come into their own. If I'm honest there are some striking similarities between England and Italy but I do believe that Mancini is a better coach than Southgate and that does give them an edge.

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

i thought I’d struggle to sleep after tonight but cheers pal x x

1 minute ago, JoshBRFC said:

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

i thought I’d struggle to sleep after tonight but cheers pal x x

What are you talking about? Fucks sake can't even have an honest conversation.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Just got in. Sensible night we said. Before I jumped up screaming and got Karen singing with me along with the rest of the restaurant  we said. 

I fucking love England. 

Gareth has got me questioning anything I’ve ever known about football. The semi fucking finals. Can. Not. Fucking. Wait.

Its coming home. And I’m shagging you all.

On a scale from 1 to Barney Gumble, how drunk are you right now? 😂

• Subscriber
Just now, nudge said:

On a scale from 1 to Barney Gumble, how drunk are you right now? 😂

About 18?

Just sat Infront of TV with a glass of whiskey waiting for my dirty takeaway. Nudge would be proud. 

• Subscriber
Just now, Spike said:

it probably is coming home:what:

Oh man, don’t. 

:x:x:England: 

Don’t care what anyone says, no better feeling as a football fan than watching your country do well in a major tournament. 

4 hours ago, Storts said:

This is my favourite @Whiskey @shut up

’genuine toss up’ xD

Its coming home is the best football song of all time also 

TBF, England proved a lot of people wrong today and I'm happy for them. I predicted England to win in all the comps on here so I obviously played it safe. 

England has lost a game like this so many times in recent memory, but once Kane scored so quickly, I felt like that is exactly what they needed to not let the pressure of getting to the semis get to them. 

Well played to them. 

Great game by England. That will give huge confidence going into the semis.

I'd be tipping them making the final now, but at this point I see the Italians as the tournament favorites. (Albeit they have to get past Spain which is not guaranteed). 

All four teams in the semis are good value and deserving, and the story of Denmark with the Eriksen disaster driving them on is a great one.

2 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

So are people not meant to enjoy things and get giddy because there’s someone better than them? Literally the first time England beat Germany since ‘66 in a major tournament and people find it weird that they celebrate? England ARE that bottom table side compared Germany at International level.

I'll tag @Storts as he has laughed at my 'genuine tossup' comment. 

When I was reading on here, added to seeing England's reactions to beating Germany, I was certainly fearful that England were going to come out flat against Ukraine. So often I've seen a team beat 'that' team that they've been dreaming of or have a grudge against, and then relax too much and get whipped the game after. 

Perfect example is in college football this year, when Ohio State made it their mission to be Clemson before the season even started after what had happened the previous year .Playoffs come, they play and beat Clemson, and thus celebrated like it was the championship. Sadly it wasn't and the Ohio State team that showed up for the championship was awful and appeared to have no real motivation or energy. 

Kudos to England for not falling for the trap, but I did fear that they might be flat today. 

Besides, hindsight is 20/20, and my saying this game was a 'toss up' is not the worst prediction I have made by any stretch. xD

Seriously, kudos to England on proving me and the rest of the critics wrong. 

The thing about this game is that was actually something we can definitively say “we were much better than the other side” - and in this tournament, Ukraine imo have looked much better than Croatia, the Czech Republic, and Scotland.

And while Germany aren’t at their best currently, we did make a side with a lot of quality players (because that German side still had a lot of quality) look worse than average.

Italy I think are definitely the team to beat left in the tournament. But honestly I think there’s 3 teams that have put in truly standout performances in this tournament… and we’re imo one of them.

I don’t really like Southgate or think he’s a good manager, but it’s hard to deny that he’s the best England manager in my lifetime. And I think if it was any other country, a side that’s conceded 0 and just put in a performance like that to make a semi final and there would be a lot of people knob slobbing for that side.

There is some anti-English team sentiment because we all grew seeing over hyped English teams so it feels weird finally to see an actually good team. But considering the absolute cringe and annoying behaviour of a very vocal English fanbase even if it's small, it is understandable people are pissed

Honestly I feel I've been reading this thread and the most dominant comment I saw was "look at all this anti English sentiment"... I saw that comment more oftent Than actual posts that were anti English.

There is undoubtedly some of the sentiment there and probably more than similar threads for France and Germany but it didn't strike me as everyone rooting for England to fail.

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The thing about this game is that was actually something we can definitively say “we were much better than the other side” - and in this tournament, Ukraine imo have looked much better than Croatia, the Czech Republic, and Scotland.

And while Germany aren’t at their best currently, we did make a side with a lot of quality players (because that German side still had a lot of quality) look worse than average.

Italy I think are definitely the team to beat left in the tournament. But honestly I think there’s 3 teams that have put in truly standout performances in this tournament… and we’re imo one of them.

I don’t really like Southgate or think he’s a good manager, but it’s hard to deny that he’s the best England manager in my lifetime. And I think if it was any other country, a side that’s conceded 0 and just put in a performance like that to make a semi final and there would be a lot of people knob slobbing for that side.

England have been good value in every game except Scotland imo.

7 hours ago, Spike said:

What are you talking about? Fucks sake can't even have an honest conversation.

It's a spot to be in for the English lads mate. 
They're in their 2nd quarter finals for the 2nd tournament in a row. They've beaten Germany at an international tournament, and only an Eriksonless Denmark stand between them and a cup final.

They're (most of them) hopeful, and so they should be.

Had Germany, poor as we were, beaten England then Ukraine I'd be hopeful too, despite Italy being Germany's Achilles often. 
But that hope, in my opinion, should be tempered with caution. I think a few of the guys have convinced themselves that England have every chance here, some probably consider themselves favorites. That's where I'm drawing the line between "optimistic" and "set up to fail"

Yes. England made the semis of the world cup, and now the Euro... BUT

Tunisia, Panama, Sweden, Columbia AET
Czech Republic, Croatia, Germany, Ukraine

Is not an impressive CV

Yes they knocked out Germany... BUT

The worst German team in decades. A Germany who couldn't qualify from a world cup group of Sweden, Mexico and Korea. A Germany recently tonked 5-0 by Spain, a Germany who couldn't beat Hungary. 

Be hopeful, be optimistic. But please don't shove "it's coming home" down my throat, or I'll shove your loss to Italy/Spain/Denmark (in descending order of likeliness) down yours when the time comes.  

• Administrator
3 hours ago, ASF said:

This was a no-contest.

Ukraine must be one of the worst teams I've seen in the quarter-finals, of the Euros and World Cup.

I think they got stage-fright. Only the 2nd time they've ever reached that stage of the Euros? Lacked that experience and they were pretty much dead on their feet. 

But England controlled the game so easily. Everything worked perfectly even if the rest of the first half after the goal was slow. That second half performance, again after early goals and killing the game off was just superb. 

The mentality of the squad is really, really good. Very impressive and a huge improvement on previous tournaments. I was on Southgate's back after the group stage but I'll hold my hands up and say I was too quick to do that. He's played it perfectly in getting better and better as each game goes on. Kane deserved his hat trick with that left foot volley. Would have been a sensational goal. I don't think anyone can deny (even @Storts) that he was lacking form and nowhere near his best for the first few games. But like Shearer and Lineker were saying before the Germany game, one goal and it'll set him off and it'll get his confidence back. Quite clear to see that goal against Germany did the trick.

He's part of the reason why England now do need to be taken seriously. You don't fluke getting to a semi-final. Shaw, Sterling, Maguire, Pickford have all been quality too. Denmark will be a much tougher test for sure. But this England side has a hell of a lot of confidence now. 

Italy will be a deserving finalist but so will England if we get there. It'll be a really good match up. That will be a genuine toss up... 

1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

They're in their 2nd quarter finals for the 2nd tournament in a row. They've beaten Germany at an international tournament, and only an Eriksonless Denmark stand between them and a cup final.

Had Germany, poor as we were, beaten England then Ukraine I'd be hopeful too, despite Italy being Germany's Achilles often. 
But that hope, in my opinion, should be tempered with caution. I think a few of the guys have convinced themselves that England have every chance here, some probably consider themselves favorites. That's where I'm drawing the line between "optimistic" and "set up to fail"

Is not an impressive CV

The worst German team in decades. A Germany who couldn't qualify from a world cup group of Sweden, Mexico and Korea. A Germany recently tonked 5-0 by Spain, a Germany who couldn't beat Hungary. 

Be hopeful, be optimistic. But please don't shove "it's coming home" down my throat, or I'll shove your loss to Italy/Spain/Czech Republic (in descending order of likeliness) down yours when the time comes.  

One things for sure. We won' t be losing to the Czech Republic..... 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Is not an impressive CV

Be hopeful, be optimistic. But please don't shove "it's coming home" down my throat, or I'll shove your loss to Italy/Spain/Czech Republic (in descending order of likeliness) down yours when the time comes.  

It's coming home. 

• The title was changed to (QF) Ukraine 0-4 England - Saturday 3rd July, 2021
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived