talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(QF) Ukraine 0-4 England - Saturday 3rd July, 2021

football forum

13 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

It could well be Sir Gareth Southgate fairly soon.

Has to be the next available opportunity really if they do win the next 2.

Already Marcus Rashford MBE on the bench.

And Raheem Sterling MBE joint top scorer.

Goodness knows what Jordan Pickford starts being called.

Perhaps just a world class goalkeeper?

A dirty mackem bastard. Or a creep, given he picked up his then 14 year old girlfriend at the age of 16..... take your pick. 

• The topic was unpinned
  • Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Goodness knows what Jordan Pickford starts being called.

I’ll still call him “t-rex” and “the angry dickhead with short arms” regardless of whatever happens 

11 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

This English team is likable, conducts themselves well, and is made up of players from a mixture of different clubs, so far they've given us a team to relate to and be proud of which is all anyone wants. I'm sorry if the 'It's Coming Home' bandwagon comes across as arrogant but if that's the case, it's really misunderstood.

Foden breaking lockdown to cheat on his wife?
Harry punch drunk McGuire? 
Sterling and Grealish are likable? 

16 hours ago, Stan said:

I think they got stage-fright. Only the 2nd time they've ever reached that stage of the Euros? Lacked that experience and they were pretty much dead on their feet. 

But England controlled the game so easily. Everything worked perfectly even if the rest of the first half after the goal was slow. That second half performance, again after early goals and killing the game off was just superb. 

The mentality of the squad is really, really good. Very impressive and a huge improvement on previous tournaments. I was on Southgate's back after the group stage but I'll hold my hands up and say I was too quick to do that. He's played it perfectly in getting better and better as each game goes on. Kane deserved his hat trick with that left foot volley. Would have been a sensational goal. I don't think anyone can deny (even @Storts) that he was lacking form and nowhere near his best for the first few games. But like Shearer and Lineker were saying before the Germany game, one goal and it'll set him off and it'll get his confidence back. Quite clear to see that goal against Germany did the trick.

He's part of the reason why England now do need to be taken seriously. You don't fluke getting to a semi-final. Shaw, Sterling, Maguire, Pickford have all been quality too. Denmark will be a much tougher test for sure. But this England side has a hell of a lot of confidence now. 

Italy will be a deserving finalist but so will England if we get there. It'll be a really good match up. That will be a genuine toss up... 

First time they reached the quarter of an Euros. They had previously reached the quarters at the WC 2006 and lost to Italy 0-3.

Pickford on his way to break another record. After keeping 3 clean sheets in the group stage (first time an English GK managed to do that in an international tournament, since Gordon Banks in 1966), he has equalized the record of Casillas in the Euros: 5 consecutive games without conceding a goal. One more clean sheet and the record is his.

11 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Compared to the previous squads yes.

Sorry for getting excited about a football team by the way.

On 05/07/2021 at 00:13, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I reckon you can go and find cunts in every single squad tbh. The English media just like to delve a little deeper to derail the team as it sells more papers apparently.

Don't get Sterling and Grealish tbh, all the media seem to have on Sterling is buying his mum a basin.

And Grealish tried driving home drunk yes, but the amount of young people I know that have stupidly done that...take away the fact they don't earn nearly as much as he does/don't have access to a footballers lifestyle so less likely to make his mistakes and yet the one he made was the most common one. He seems alright.

1 minute ago, Danny said:

Don't get Sterling and Grealish tbh, all the media seem to have on Sterling is buying his mum a basin.

And Grealish tried driving home drunk yes, but the amount of young people I know that have stupidly done that...take away the fact they don't earn nearly as much as he does/don't have access to a footballers lifestyle so less likely to make his mistakes and yet the one he made was the most common one. He seems alright.

Grealish plays for Villa, he could win a World Cup and he'll still be widely considered a tosser on Tyneside. 

Sterling like Rashford has overstepped the longstanding line between footballer with views and politician, which might make some people uncomfortable. It doesn't particularly bother me. 

Just now, ToonArmy said:

Grealish plays for Villa, he could win a World Cup and he'll still be widely considered a tosser on Tyneside. 

Sterling like Rashford has overstepped the longstanding line between footballer with views and politician, which might make some people uncomfortable. It doesn't particularly bother me. 

I think if Sterling making a public stand against racism annoys people then he's definitely not the problem xD I think most of it is people getting caught up in the papers targeting Sterling for years

Just now, Danny said:

I think if Sterling making a public stand against racism annoys people then he's definitely not the problem xD I think most of it is people getting caught up in the papers targeting Sterling for years

I don't mind him taking a public stand against racism off the pitch, I'm not particular convinced adopted a political organisations gesture on the pitch and claiming it's not their gesture was the wisest move in history. 

Surely taking 11 balls off the pitch and kick them into the crowd or gesturing to kick them away would be more meaningful and in keeping with Kick It Out theme, the longstanding anti-racism campaign. 

1 minute ago, ToonArmy said:

I don't mind him taking a public stand against racism off the pitch, I'm not particular convinced adopted a political organisations gesture on the pitch and claiming it's not their gesture was the wisest move in history. 

Surely taking 11 balls off the pitch and kick them into the crowd or gesturing to kick them away would be more meaningful and in keeping with Kick It Out theme, the longstanding anti-racism campaign. 

Racism is political though, the act of white supremacy literally comes from war and politics...i.e. slavery being law.

4 minutes ago, Danny said:

Racism is political though, the act of white supremacy literally comes from war and politics...i.e. slavery being law.

Yes but Black Lives Matter as an organisation do not speak for all anti-racists, that can be true at the same time as saying racism is not political. 

And if racism is political, in the same way that homophobia is political, why is UEFA fine with protests against one but not against the other? Is it because it's more acceptable to tell some groups of people to keep things off the pitch than others? 

I'm not against footballers being allowed to protest, but there's a clear double standard here. 

• Administrator

They've consistently and regularly stated their gesture isn't anything to do with Black Lives Matter; it's to do with eradicating all prejudices and discrimination.

If you choose to ignore that message, that's on you. Not them. And shouldn't be a stick to beat them with. 

15 minutes ago, Danny said:

And Grealish tried driving home drunk yes,

He didn't try. He drunk drove. Simple as that. He's a cunt for that considering the damage he did and potentially could have done to others, too.  

19 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

I reckon you can go and find cunts in every single squad tbh. The English media just like to delve a little deeper to derail the team as it sells more papers apparently.

I think you're absolutely right. BUT.

It takes a very special piece of shit to risk the health and even lives of his team mates, team assistants and family so he can go fuck a girl behind the back of his wife, the mother of his child. 
Foden could be hit by 18 busses tomorrow and I'd not shed a tear. 

4 minutes ago, ToonArmy said:

Yes but Black Lives Matter as an organisation do not speak for all anti-racists, that can be true at the same time as saying racism is not political. 

And if racism is political, in the same way that homophobia is political, why is UEFA fine with protests against one but not against the other? Is it because it's more acceptable to tell some groups of people to keep things off the pitch than others? 

I'm not against footballers being allowed to protest, but there's a clear double standard here. 

BLM as a movement and BLM as an organisation are seperate things, the movement is the culture in which people have gravitated towards, the organisation is politically a lot more specific about its intentions 

BLM as a movement and BLM as an organisation are seperate things, the movement is the culture in which people have gravitated towards, the organisation is politically a lot more specific about its intentions 

An unfortunately for those who might be involved in the movement, the symbol used by players is now forever associated with the organisation. Normally when that happens people find a new symbol, I could give some very famous examples but I'm not sure it would be well received in the context of this discussion. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

They've consistently and regularly stated their gesture isn't anything to do with Black Lives Matter; it's to do with eradicating all prejudices and discrimination.

If you choose to ignore that message, that's on you. Not them. And shouldn't be a stick to beat them with. 

He didn't try. He drunk drove. Simple as that. He's a cunt for that considering the damage he did and potentially could have done to others, too.  

I said tried because he didn’t make it far before crashing did he? Massively a cunt move yeah, but there will be people slating him for it who will also have done it, or jumped in a car knowing someone is doing it.

2 minutes ago, ToonArmy said:

Genuine question, if I do a Hitler salute and say I'm directing traffic or using it to make a case for tall people's rights, do you think the police, the press, politician's or football players when asked to comment would give a fuck? 

It's a misdirection tactic to claim it's nothing to do with BLM and no-one seems to be allowed to state that anymore. 

I suppose for this to work in the context of BLM you would need to find a history of BLM invading most of Europe and attempting to exterminate Jewish people off the planet. Think once you've found that you might have a point.

I suppose for this to work in the context of BLM you would need to find a history of BLM invading most of Europe and attempting to exterminate Jewish people off the planet. Think once you've found that you might have a point.

I've edited out anyway as it was a bit facetious but the point is symbols mean things and that's dictated by society's reaction to them, not by what were told they mean by the people making them. 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, ToonArmy said:

I've edited out anyway as it was a bit facetious but the point is symbols mean things and that's dictated by society's reaction to them, not by what were told they mean by the people making them. 

So the people who feel affected now and want positive change and equality for all shouldn't be listened to when they justify their reasons for their actions?

I've stated previously that I'm not into the whole England thing but I think this squad of players are generally sound. From the stuff the club captains and Rashford were involved in off the pitch during the start of the pandemic to continuing taking the knee despite their own dickhead fans booing them, can't really fault them.

Archived