• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(SF) Italy (p) 1-1 Spain - Tuesday 6th July, 2021

football forum

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Has Italy ever won an international tournament without south american-born players on the squad? 

Who was South American born in Italy's 1982 World Cup winning squad?

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah I don't think there's any South Americans in that squad. Someone was born in Libya though

Yes, Claudio Gentile was born in Libya, but no one in that squad was born in South America.

4 minutes ago, Michael said:

Who was South American born in Italy's 1982 World Cup winning squad?

I don't know. 

The 1934 and 1938 squads were pretty stacked with south americans, 2006 had Camaronesi. 

1982, I don't know. It might be the exception.

24 minutes ago, Stan said:

Over the course of the tournament they deserve to be in the final but not based on today. Spain were the better side in my opinion. 

I thought Austria were the better side against Italy for most of their match, when they played each other. Certainly the 2nd half was all Austria. Italy were the best team in a relatively easy group and they were better than Belgium(Belgium's defence was a bit shocking to be fair), but I really don't this Italy side have much chance against England, if England reach the final. They will have an extra day's rest for the final compared to England(or Denmark), but I personally think that England are strong favourites to win the Euros.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Michael said:

I thought Austria were the better side against Italy for most of their match, when they played each other. Certainly the 2nd half was all Austria. Italy were the best team in a relatively easy group and they were better than Belgium(Belgium's defence was a bit shocking to be fair), but I really don't this Italy side have much chance against England, if England reach the final. They will have an extra day's rest for the final compared to England(or Denmark), but I personally think that England are strong favourites to win the Euros.

Not sure about 'strong favourites'! but I love the confidence.

This Italy side have shown how much grit, hunger, determination and outright passion they have in abundance and that could prove enough. 

If England get through I've got a feeling it'll be a seriously good final though. Italy weren't at their best today or against Austria but still pulled through.  

Any time Italy play the pundits overindulge and reiterate the defensive Italian stereotype but for me despite putting a lot of men behind the ball today, they weren't that great defensively. The way they can make the game stop/start as well is bloody annoying and personally, I find it difficult to like them. Great country and people but their football team I find hard to like. They were probably playing for penalties from the moment Spain pulled level. The Italian team's style can be effective so I don't begrudge them of that but still, I'm not a massive fan.

Anyway, Spain were great but toothless in the box and that's been their undoing tonight. 

41 minutes ago, Michael said:

I wonder how much more abuse poor old Morata will get after that penalty miss. :ph34r:

That's the sad thing here, there were already death threats against his family and Morata's miss didn't hurt Spain then they still advanced in the tournament.  Now his miss sends Spain home, going to be sick to see the abuse he will get.

Just now, Redcanuck said:

That's the sad thing here, there were already death threats against his family and Morata's miss didn't hurt Spain then they still advanced in the tournament.  Now his miss sends Spain home, going to be sick to see the abuse he will get.

Wouldn’t have even had the chance of being there without him though. Soft cunts.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

If that's the case they need to ask themselves how they got to even have a fucking chance of a shootout...

Oh and Dani Olmo also missed. Morata 'didn't send Spain home'. Was a team thing.

• Subscriber
22 hours ago, Dan said:

Italy win but will be tighter than people think. Think Spain aren't as bad as people think. Their build up play is as good as anyones in the tournament, they're just infuriating in both boxes.

That was one of my better predictions.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived