talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(SF) England 2-1 Denmark - Wednesday 7th July, 2021

football forum

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Never been a big Southgate fan but he has done very well so far, especially in the knockout rounds. I did think pre-tournament our back 5/7 was going to be very solid and it has been more than that! Especially since Maguire has returned. I think everyone knows United overpaid by £20-30m, but I do think he is right up there with the best in the league right now. He impresses me every time I see him play recently, also credit has to go to Pickford. Not a fan of him either but he seems to have calmed down a lot, always thought he was far too emotional and shouty to be a top keeper. Not sure if he'll ever be elite but he should have a very solid Premier league and international career if he keeps up his current form. 

It'll be interesting to see if Southgate matches Denmark's 3 back like he did against Germany or continues with the team that dominated Ukraine. I'd like to see him go with the team that beat Ukraine, although I'd probably have Grealish or Saka in over Sancho. 

Pickford's been getting a lot of help for his emotions and it's really starting to show in his persona and the way he plays. He looks a lot more focused and a lot sharper as a result.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, shut up said:

A game like what? He had a few decent dribbles and passes lol he also left Walker exposed on numerous occasions. Defensive work non existent 

He done more in one game than both Foden and Saka have offered. Defensive work? There was hardly any of that needed on Saturday. 

• Administrator

Saka > Sancho > Foden in terms of performances so far this tournament. 

Admittedly different amounts of game time but Saka took his chance very well when he was picked. Not to say Sancho was bad by any stretch, but I wouldn't say he's undroppable. 

16 minutes ago, shut up said:

I agree re Sancho. Played well against a poor Ukraine side, but Saka has been the best player to occupy the right.

Can you imagine leaving Walker alone to deal with Maehle? :47_tired_face: cos that is what you'd be effectively doing if Sancho starts. 

Could play James. 

This is a big moment for this generation of England players. If they go out then failing at the semi final stage will hang over them after Croatia 3 years ago. It could end up like the golden generation and quarter finals. 

23 minutes ago, The Premier Steve's said:

This is a big moment for this generation of England players. If they go out then failing at the semi final stage will hang over them after Croatia 3 years ago. It could end up like the golden generation and quarter finals. 

Definitely. The media rhetoric will spin to "what ifs" and "bottling" whilst The Athletic write 364 articles on the psychological insecurities of the England players and a full analysis of each players footwork against Denmark before the World Cup in 18 months time. It all heads towards a barrier that needs to be broken down. A bit like how we couldn't knock out a decent team until we beat Columbia.

Huge for both nations this is not just England but as an Englishman I can honestly say this is the first time I've looked at a tournament and honestly thought we're the strongest side in it. Watching Italy and Spain last night you could see flaws in both teams that we could expose and given they have both had to make a titanic effort to get to the final from their side of the draw I think it would be brilliant for England or Denmark to get this won with the 90 minutes. 

Italy looked out on their feet last night, they've put 110% into every game and that extra time showed they tired. England have been in cruise control the whole way through the tournament, we've rotated players and we've kept things fresh, Maguire has had a two month rest and looks fresh. 

Never believed we'd win a tournament before genuinely believe this is our year. 

Denmark are a well organised side who have proven what they are capable of doing at these Euros. But I expect England to come out on top. I really don't want this match going to penalties.

5 hours ago, It's Coming Home! said:

Denmark will boss this game, like they did when they played last year.  Dolberg will be the main threat.

England have Newcastle manager Graeme Jones on the coaching staff now, his speciality is possession and control

:ph34r:

• The title was changed to (SF) England 2-1 Denmark - Wednesday 7th July, 2021
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived