talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(SF) England 2-1 Denmark - Wednesday 7th July, 2021

football forum

1 hour ago, The Premier Steve's said:

At the time, before the goal, I was not even remotely confident after seeing Pickford shouting at Maguire. Seemed on edge and not focused. I'm theorising from his body language and such but I wasn't even remotely surprised that free kick went in. A focused on his toes Pickford saves that for me, late sight or not. That might be harsh but the vibe the lad is giving off is rocky.

It looked like a setup with the first free kick almost guaranteeing some contact and the opportunity to get closer enough for a shot on goal. Then the placement of their site blockers too close to our wall. I think Pickford could sense it also. That whole game was very odd. It felt like Denmark was supposed to win or at least find a way to claim moral victory. We played our weakest formation and they made some really odd decisions regarding substitutes. Someone even shone a green laser at Schmeicel during the penalty. The whole thing was a European drama that reminded me of their behaviour with politics and even their Danish murder series etc. I was reading the comments real time from a Newspaper - so extreme - calling us cheats etc.

If we get the same thing with Italy then it will be a match of stunning decisions like red cards etc... Torture!

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Lucas said:

Amongst the joy (and bitterness) on here, can we just acknowledge how well we kept the ball in the 2nd half of extra time?

Ok, only a little thing in the grand scheme of it but Denmark could not get the ball to manufacture a chance. And for as long as I've been watching England, I've never seen us eat the clock up and keep the ball for over 3 or 4 mins like that.

Usually it's panic stations, someone loses their head, or we shoot ourselves in the foot. Tonight, we got the winner and just killed the game.

Excellent game management and very well disciplined and intelligent.

Yeah mate, never thought I'd see it either. It was good game management although it helped that Denmark looked knackered. Tiredness and fitness seem to be a factor in this tournament.

England have now got to keep their nerve in one of the biggest games in the nation's history on Sunday, let's hope they can do it. I imagine the Italians will be able to manage the pressure and nerves well, let's hope we can too.

Firstly, it was a penalty. Look at it from the angle behind Sterling:

The player's knee makes clear contact with the back of his leg (he had a swipe but tried to pull back) and the other player knocks into him with his hip. 

Secondly, Denmark's free-kick should not have been given, should not have stood and Kane should have had a penalty second half. The pearl clutching in Europe has been ridiculous. 

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

To be fair, the Danes were at it as well, just for defensive purposes. Hojbjerg and Vestergaard fell over at every opportunity for an easy foul and a breather. Poulsen also made several cynical challenges worthy of yellow cards that were somehow not punished. He should have been off. As in all games, it was swings and roundabouts. 

Yeah thats fair, just the side that was controlling most of the play Sterling and Kane probably stuck out more to me. 

• Subscriber
40 minutes ago, Tar-Mairon said:

Firstly, it was a penalty. Look at it from the angle behind Sterling:

The player's knee makes clear contact with the back of his leg (he had a swipe but tried to pull back) and the other player knocks into him with his hip. 

Secondly, Denmark's free-kick should not have been given, should not have stood and Kane should have had a penalty second half. The pearl clutching in Europe has been ridiculous. 

It's still soft but this is what I was trying to say earlier. Everyone was focusing on the guy who nearly tripped him up and then kicked off when they realised there was no contact from that player but as soon as you saw the leg to leg contact from Jensen you knew it wouldn't be overturned. I couldn't quite understand why even England fans were admitting it was a full on dive. He goes down like a ton of bricks but there was clear contact, I'm not saying I agree but that's a pretty standard penalty these days.

3 hours ago, The Premier Steve's said:

At the time, before the goal, I was not even remotely confident after seeing Pickford shouting at Maguire. Seemed on edge and not focused. I'm theorising from his body language and such but I wasn't even remotely surprised that free kick went in. A focused on his toes Pickford saves that for me, late sight or not. That might be harsh but the vibe the lad is giving off is rocky.

I don't disagree, like I said I had that old Pickford feeling that I thought had been put to bed some time before Christmas from the moment he bowled that throw straight to the Denmark player on the edge of the area early on. I am going to gently object to the use of the present tense in the last sentence though. Last night wasn't his best but the lad has done his fair share getting England this far. I don't think there's cause for undue concern over him going into the Final.

If people want to get really pedantic about goals………..

Where three or more defending team players form a ‘wall’, all attacking team players must remain at least 1 m (1 yd) from the ‘wall’ until the ball is in play.

If, when a free kick is taken, an attacking team player is less than 1 m (1 yd) from a ‘wall’ formed by three or more defending team players, an indirect free kick is awarded.

A5E1E6AA-41B5-4416-8CB2-BEF91982CCDE.jpeg

AE6DDA0F-E1E1-4AF4-AD3B-4E83099388B8.jpeg

Heartbreaking wasn't it, just can't see the logic of asking two lads that were in tune with the game to take pens, surely that's even more added pressure to know that's the only reason your coming on. 

I also think the decision to have the youngest player on the pitch take the fifth penalty was a heavy burden to carry as well, it was always likely to be the key penaltyso why didn't we put someone with more experience on it. 

Edit wrong thread!!! 

Archived