talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Rating Past and Present England Managers

football forum

I'm only going with England managers in my lifetime/when I could possibly remember them being manager.

1.) Gareth Southgate - because he's clearly done the best out of the managers in my lifetime. It's a bit mental because I don't really rate him as a manager xD - but out of all the England managers we've had since I was born, he's definitely the one who knows what he's doing the most.

2.) Terry Venables - he's this high because I think he's the first England manager I actually remember, so just nostalgia points.

3.) Sven - He probably stayed a bit too long, otherwise I'd probably hold him in higher regard. He probably was the best England manager in my lifetime before Southgate. He didn't have quite the pedigree of Capello... but as England manager he was like a better Capello imo.

4.) Glenn Hoddle - I liked him as a manager tbh. Probably shouldn't have mocked disabled people, though.

5, 6, 7.) Kevin Keegan/Fabio Capello/Roy Hodgson - I'll put these all in the same bracket. All disappointing as fuck tbh.

8.) Sam Allardyce - he's only this low because he was the England manager for about 5 seconds

9.) Graham Taylor - I don't remember him at all, so he can't have been good or I was too young to care.

10.) Steve McClaren - imo his managerial career will always be marked with the fact he couldn't qualify for a world cup with the squad he inherited... then later went to the Netherlands and faked a Dutch accent rather than learn Dutch. No idea how he ever got the job tbh.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm only going with England managers in my lifetime/when I could possibly remember them being manager.

1.) Gareth Southgate - because he's clearly done the best out of the managers in my lifetime. It's a bit mental because I don't really rate him as a manager xD - but out of all the England managers we've had since I was born, he's definitely the one who knows what he's doing the most.

2.) Terry Venables - he's this high because I think he's the first England manager I actually remember, so just nostalgia points.

3.) Sven - He probably stayed a bit too long, otherwise I'd probably hold him in higher regard. He probably was the best England manager in my lifetime before Southgate. He didn't have quite the pedigree of Capello... but as England manager he was like a better Capello imo.

4.) Glenn Hoddle - I liked him as a manager tbh. Probably shouldn't have mocked disabled people, though.

5, 6, 7.) Kevin Keegan/Fabio Capello/Roy Hodgson - I'll put these all in the same bracket. All disappointing as fuck tbh.

8.) Sam Allardyce - he's only this low because he was the England manager for about 5 seconds

9.) Graham Taylor - I don't remember him at all, so he can't have been good or I was too young to care.

10.) Steve McClaren - imo his managerial career will always be marked with the fact he couldn't qualify for a world cup with the squad he inherited... then later went to the Netherlands and faked a Dutch accent rather than learn Dutch. No idea how he ever got the job tbh.

That’s my list as well. Bobby Robson in at 2 though and I’d put Hoddle higher than Sven.

Just now, DeadLinesman said:

That’s my list as well. Bobby Robson in at 2 though and I’d put Hoddle higher than Sven.

I think Bobby Robson was manager until I was 2... and I don't think I really gave a fuck about football until I was 4 or 5 - although I know my dad forced my brother and I to watch it with him when I was younger than those ages. So I left him off. Hoddle could probably go higher than Sven, but Sven did do pretty well as England manager.

On 05/07/2021 at 01:00, Gunnersauraus said:

So how do you rate past and present England managers?

I dont know all the England managers so I'm gonna go on the ones I know.

1.Alf Ramsey. 

Won the world cup. England didn't have a very professional attitude before that so has go be number 1.

2. Gareth southagate 

Has to be number two for me. Two semi finals, won a penalty shootout, beat Germany, won in spain. Played some great football in the euro qualifiers as well. 5.0 against Czech republic, 5.1 in Montenegro, 7.0 at home to the same team. Just got the whole supporting england again.

3. Bobby Robson, reached a world cup semi final and took a very good german side to a penalty shoot out. Didnt do well in the euros though.

4.Terry venables. Again a semi final.

3. Sven Goran Eriksson. Took over a England side in a bit of a mess. Had the 5.1 in germany, beat Argentina, was generally consistent but maybe could have done better with the talent he had.

4.Fabio Capello and roy Hodgson. Find it hard to separate these two.  Both had good and bad moments. I actually though hodson did very well in euro 2012. Not a team with great talent but won their group then lost to italy. I think that was the best we could of hoped for. Then had a terrible world cup and then lost to Iceland in the euros.

Capello started of well and played some great football but then had a terrible world cup. Couldnt beat Algeria and usa then lost 4.1 to Germany 

6.Glen hoddle. We didnt do great in france 98 and then he was sacked soon after so hard to really put him any higher on then list 

7.Kevin Keegan. Really struggled to qualify then couldnt get out the group stage and gave away a 2.0 lead against portugal.

8. Graham Taylor. Didnt qualify for the world cup. Finished  bottom in euro 92. Not a great record.

9. Steve McClaren. The Wally  with the brolly. He was just terrible. Didnt qualify for euro 2008 and was sacked the day after. Just awful 

Do I not like that!

People on here saying McClaren and Keegan were the worst England managers, but Keegan was just given one tournament, Euro 2000 to show what he could do(we did beat Germany at Euro 2000), while McClaren was just given one Euro 2008 qualification chance, in a group that included Croatia and a very strong Russian side that would eventually reach the semi-finals of Euro 2008. Although Keegan and McClaren weren't great, we have to take into account they weren't given very long at all as England managers.

Graham Turnip Taylor on the other hand, was given a much longer spell in charge of England as manager. He took over the England national team that was fresh from reaching the semi-finals of the 1990 World Cup under Bobby Robson's managership. England struggled to qualify for Euro 1992 under Graham Taylor and during the Euros itself, England finished bottom of the Group! England only managed to score 1 goal in the whole of Euro 92, and that was through David Platt's goal as England lost 2-1 to Sweden!

Despite a miserable showing at Euro 92, the FA decided to give Graham Taylor another chance and kept him on for the qualification process for the 1994 World Cup. But England failed to qualify, finishing 3rd in their qualifying group behind Norway and the Netherlands, who both qualified for the World Cup ahead of England. So for me, it would have to be Graham Taylor who is the worst England manager. He had the chance to manage England to two major competitions. He qualified for Euro 92 after England struggled through qualification, but once at Euro 92, England flopped. While Taylor couldn't even manage to get England to qualify for the 1994 World Cup, despite there being two qualification spots in England's qualifying group. 

• Subscriber
On 05/07/2021 at 09:00, The Premier Steve's said:

Excluding McClaren I'd perhaps controversially put Sven last in hindsight. On paper he had the most talented starting 11 England team of all time. 

Agreed. That Starting 11 is the best I’ve ever seen us have. 

The squad depth we have now is what will hopefully take us forward. 

Archived