Kick-off 20.00 (BST)

Venue - Wembley Stadium, London

wembley-stadium.jpg?width=1200

ITALY - Road to Wembley
Group Stage - 1st
Round of 16 - Italy (aet) 2-1 Austria
Quarter-Final - Italy 2-1 Belgium
Semi-Final - Italy (p) 1-1 Spain

Top Goalscorer - Ciro Immobile, Manuel Locatelli, Federico Chiesa, Lorenzo Insigne, Matteo Pessina (all 2)

England - Road to Wembley
Group Stage - 1st
Round of 16 - England 2-0 Germany
Quarter-Final - England 4-0 Ukraine
Semi-Final - England (aet) 2-1 Denmark

Top Goalscorer - Harry Kane (4)

Team History in European Championships
Italy

Last Euros Final - 2020 - Spain 4-0 Italy
Times won - 1 (1968)
Runners-Up - 2 (2000, 2012)

England
Last Euros Final - None
Times won - None
Runners-Up - None

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
Just now, MUFC said:

Who would you say so far have been England's top 5 players?

1.Sterling

2.Walker

3.Philliphs

4.Maguire

5.Pickford

Shaw definitely has to be up there.

Maguire better than Stones so far? Maguire has been good since coming in but Stones has been our best defender throughout the tournament imo, especially some of the blocks he made throughout the group stages, we really built our defensive record off the back of his work. Shaw has also been great but more so from an attacking sense though still been really good defensively.

Anyway onto the game, it's a weird one because we have the pressure of being the home team but they are easily the better team. I think the only way we'll win this game is if we start with a back 3, I would expect the team to look like this:

Pickford

Trippier - Walker - Stones - Maguire - Shaw

Phillips - Rice/Henderson

Saka - Kane - Sterling

Trippier and Saka specifically will be used to try and stifle Di Lorenzo and Insigne, and then you have Saka's speed and skill going forward. Wouldn't surprise me to see Henderson get a start in such a big game, but would be massively unfair on Rice all things considered. Down to Southgate that. Rest of the team picks itself, this game has to be a game for Sancho to come on as a sub. Italy looked shot to bits physically against Spain and whilst we won't dominate the ball and dictate the game like Spain did, Italy have been pressing hard since the opening game and it's starting to look like that might be a problem for them. Our biggest advantage here is that we haven't played as aggressively as Italy have throughout the tournament and that our players by and large play in the most physically demanding league in the world, the longer we can stay in the game the better our chances of coming away with a win.

With that said there have been numerous times throughout this tournament where even though we've only conceded one goal, our defence has been cut open a bit too easily. If any team will make us regret that it will be Italy who's attacks hit you wave after wave.

5 minutes ago, Danny said:

Maguire better than Stones so far? Maguire has been good since coming in but Stones has been our best defender throughout the tournament imo, especially some of the blocks he made throughout the group stages, we really built our defensive record off the back of his work. Shaw has also been great but more so from an attacking sense though still been really good defensively.

Anyway onto the game, it's a weird one because we have the pressure of being the home team but they are easily the better team. I think the only way we'll win this game is if we start with a back 3, I would expect the team to look like this:

Pickford

Trippier - Walker - Stones - Maguire - Shaw

Phillips - Rice/Henderson

Saka - Kane - Sterling

Trippier and Saka specifically will be used to try and stifle Di Lorenzo and Insigne, and then you have Saka's speed and skill going forward. Wouldn't surprise me to see Henderson get a start in such a big game, but would be massively unfair on Rice all things considered. Down to Southgate that. Rest of the team picks itself, this game has to be a game for Sancho to come on as a sub. Italy looked shot to bits physically against Spain and whilst we won't dominate the ball and dictate the game like Spain did, Italy have been pressing hard since the opening game and it's starting to look like that might be a problem for them. Our biggest advantage here is that we haven't played as aggressively as Italy have throughout the tournament and that our players by and large play in the most physically demanding league in the world, the longer we can stay in the game the better our chances of coming away with a win.

With that said there have been numerous times throughout this tournament where even though we've only conceded one goal, our defence has been cut open a bit too easily. If any team will make us regret that it will be Italy who's attacks hit you wave after wave.

I get your point but I put Maguire in because he went in straight from an injury lay off and has still performed at a high level. You could make a case for both.

Fitness and freshness could play a part, we've seen tiredness get to a lot of teams in the knockouts but England however have done relatively well in this regard, having rotated and having good strength in depth, hopefully, this will help us out on Sunday.

Italy do have many quality players.

Jorginho is a defensive midfielder. Yet scores almost over confident penalties in shoot outs.

Insigne & Chiesa have scored the type of spectacular goals England's wing attackers have (so far) only attempted.

Locatelli probably gets in England's side ahead of Rice or Phillips.

Donnarumma looks lots less likely than Pickford to have a wild moment.

Anyone neutral probably makes Italy the favourite.

Similar to the Germany game, I do think Southgate will go 3 at the back, to match them better man for man.

Some used to claim that sort of thing was a sign of weakness, or conceding inferiority. Thinking of stopping the opponent rather than how you're going to win yourself. I'm not so sure. I think this England squad buy into it being tactically astute & giving themselves the best possible chance to go for wins against different types of opponents.

Whatever happens in the final, this is the best an England side have done since 1966. They got to a World Cup semi final in 2018. A Euro final now. And you would imagine many of the same lads will get another go at a World Cup in 2022. For a 2nd star.

10 minutes ago, Rick said:

Henderson simply has to start for me. So much experience in big games. It’s harsh on Rice & Phillips but I’d be replacing one of them. 

Rice to be replaced all day, Phillips just been better, more composed.

I'm with @Danny on the line up. I think I'd go for Rice over Henderson in this fixture as I've been impressed with how quickly he drops backs to allow us to defend space effectively that's largely halted teams from troubling us. Henderson's shown his worth as an impact leader over the knockout phases too.

• Subscriber

It’s written in the stars. We’re winning this and winning this with ease. Italy will attack us and it will work in our favour and we will punish them on the counter.

England 5-1 Italy.

49 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I'm with @Danny on the line up. I think I'd go for Rice over Henderson in this fixture as I've been impressed with how quickly he drops backs to allow us to defend space effectively that's largely halted teams from troubling us. Henderson's shown his worth as an impact leader over the knockout phases too.

One thing we get from Henderson that we don't from Rice is the ability to counter quickly, yesterday we were so dependant on the centre mids trying to take the ball and turn immediately but they weren't doing it. Henderson came on and pushed the game forward, to play on the counter that will be very important. It's a tough call, because as you say Rice has been good all tournament at getting back, cutting passing lanes and swarming the ball carrier.

As a supporter of Newcastle United and England this is my first final since 1999. My first final as an adult. It's been a long wait. 

Whatever happens, happens. For someone like me to just experience this stage is massive on its own. 

I thought Rice and Phillips were pretty poor yesterday, tbh… at least when we had the ball. I’m not so sure we can rely on them in midfield against Italy in the final.

I’m probably wrong though 

• Subscriber

3 lions on in Asda earlier, my just turned 3 year old looks up as she hears it with stars in her eyes and says “Daddeeee Eng a land won song is on its a coming home”

Even she knows. B|

29 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

3 lions on in Asda earlier, my just turned 3 year old looks up as she hears it with stars in her eyes and says “Daddeeee Eng a land won song is on its a coming home”

Even she knows. B|

I hope the whole supermarket burst into song

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Fresh legs will help a lot here

Pickford

Walker

Stones 

Maguire

Trip

Grealish

Henderson

Phillips 

Foden 

Sterling

Kane

Shaw has to play. Been one of our best this season.

Foden won't start. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, The Premier Steve's said:

I hope the whole supermarket burst into song

I wish. 

I suggest a TF365 zoom call Sunday lads and we all sing our new national anthem? 🦁 🦁 🦁 :ph34r::x

18 minutes ago, Stan said:

Shaw has to play. Been one of our best this season.

Foden won't start. 

If Foden doesn't start Southgate should be sacked, we struggled yesterday without him, his injection of attacking pace & fair will be needed against the Italians 

• The title was changed to FINAL - Italy 1-1 England - Sunday 11th July, 2021

Archived