talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FINAL - Italy (p) 1-1 England - Sunday 11th July, 2021

football forum

23 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'd say:

1. Shaw (best player overall for England this tournament, imo)

Easily. He's been immense in this tournament.

Like  @DeadLinesman said, it's taken him 5 years but he's top notch now. 

Sterling has impressed me as well. I thought before the euros that he was going to have a poor tournament but he's done well.

Would like to see more of Foden though as he's  got the potential to be one of the most talented English footballers of our time.

19 hours ago, The Premier Steve's said:

Loads. Marca just signed off an article with Forza Italia. The Irish Times couldn't bring themselves to accept England deserved to win. Scottish National Party MPs demanding an overhaul of BBC and ITV for covering England too much. Northern Irish complaining over use of some chants. Whilst Gazzetto dello Sport published an article suggesting Boris Johnson corrupted UEFA. Social media is full of salty comments. On here the most salty folk are English who can't bring themselves to support England but always have to remind everyone of it at every game. Then there's the odd folk so desperate for England to lose they have it ooze out of their profile and posts.

In football, typically if you are hated you must be doing something right.

To be fair I'm one of the English folk who doesn't really get behind the national team. I just can't feel passion for international football at all. I don't wish to see England lose but it's like being with a woman who you don't feel anything for. You try your hardest, but there is nothing there. I'm just being honest.

I think it's because all the biggest clampits in the world come out of the woodwork when international tournaments are on, but don't actually watch or know anything about football.

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand people being anti-English and not wanting us to win for good reasons, for example, we can be a nightmare abroad and maybe political things.

I've seen some though stating that our journey to the final has been unfair because we've played a lot of our games at home. I wonder if they also applied this logic to basically any international tournament ever in the past then? Don't World Cups and Euro tournaments always have a host? I know the UK is one of the most difficult countries to enter at the moment with Covid restrictions but this tournament was also going to be difficult for supporters taking place in the context of a pandemic. It's also been a tournament where the duty of hosting has been spread out over several countries which also discredits that argument. Be against England for more genuine and valid reasons, not for a lot of the brittle reasons I've seen a lot of people give or portray over the last few weeks.

20 hours ago, The Premier Steve's said:

Loads. Marca just signed off an article with Forza Italia. The Irish Times couldn't bring themselves to accept England deserved to win. Scottish National Party MPs demanding an overhaul of BBC and ITV for covering England too much. Northern Irish complaining over use of some chants. Whilst Gazzetto dello Sport published an article suggesting Boris Johnson corrupted UEFA. Social media is full of salty comments. On here the most salty folk are English who can't bring themselves to support England but always have to remind everyone of it at every game. Then there's the odd folk so desperate for England to lose they have it ooze out of their profile and posts.

In football, typically if you are hated you must be doing something right.

I was listening to one of the big football Spanish radio stations the other day and their post-match analysis and the general consensus was that it wasn't a penalty but however (and it's a big however), regardless of anything, overall, England deserved to win and were impressive with their play and game management. Marca though can be like that I imagine.

22 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

I understand people being anti-English and not wanting us to win for good reasons, for example, we can be a nightmare abroad and maybe political things.

I've seen some though stating that our journey to the final has been unfair because we've played a lot of our games at home. I wonder if they also applied this logic to basically any international tournament ever in the past then? Don't World Cups and Euro tournaments always have a host? I know the UK is one of the most difficult countries to enter at the moment with Covid restrictions but this tournament was also going to be difficult for supporters taking place in the context of a pandemic. It's also been a tournament where the duty of hosting has been spread out over several countries which also discredits that argument. Be against England for more genuine and valid reasons, not for a lot of the brittle reasons I've seen a lot of people give or portray over the last few weeks.

Italy have had all their group games at home. They’ve travelled about 500km more than us. Nobody has an issue with this though….

32 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Italy have had all their group games at home. They’ve travelled about 500km more than us. Nobody has an issue with this though….

It's because we're England mate. We're America 1.0 - it's maybe 95% a mix of politics/stereotypes about English tourists/expats and then the remaining 5% I'd put down to things like the "typical Ingerland" fan.

Yes, I've just made up those percentages off the top of my head and they're likely bullshit, but the general gist of what I'm saying is true I'm pretty confident.

Will UEFA retain this model of a non-single host for the next Euro?

Personally, I prefer the traditional of one or two at the max hosts. It gives a singular flavor to the competition and it´s also a good opportunity to know more about the history and the culture of the host country. 

On the subject of England having an advantage due to a good part of their matches being played at Wembley, I think it´s a double-edged sword. There are pros and cons. 

While the home atmosphere can help and motivate players, it also can work as an additional pressure, especially in a final. The expectation of winning the title at home soil can be a very heavy burden from a mental point of view.  1950 Brazil, 2016 France, 1990 Italy. There are many examples of this. 

10 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Personally, I prefer the traditional of one or two at the max hosts. It gives a singular flavor to the competition and it´s also a good opportunity to know more about the history and the culture of the host country. 

On the subject of England having an advantage due to a good part of their matches being played at Wembley, I think it´s a double-edged sword. There are pros and cons. 

While the home atmosphere can help and motivate players, it also can work as an additional pressure, especially in a final. The expectation of winning the title at home soil can be a very heavy burden from a mental point of view.  1950 Brazil, 2016 France, 1990 Italy. There are many examples of this. 

Next Euro's is in Germany

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

It sounds like they realise it was a bad idea. Ceferin has alluded to how difficult it has been for fans. Unsurprisingly, literally all fans, even English-based ones despite the amount of Wembley games, were against it when the concept was even brought about.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57778285

It's odd some of the things he says though. As if they only knew that would be an issue as the tournament happened, and embarrassingly it now looks like they just had no foresight of what it would actually entail for all the fans.

Even when COVID struck, surely it wouldn't have been the worst thing in the world to hold it in a single country (or at worst joint-hosts) because of the logistical issues. 

I know Ceferin wasn't there when the idea was green-lighted, but it wasn't rocket science to realise some of the things they allowed to go ahead was really shit for the fans.

He added: "In a way, it is not correct that some teams have to travel more than 10,000km while others have to only travel 1,000km.

"It is not fair to fans, who had to be in Rome one day and in Baku over the next few, which is a four and a half hour flight.

"We had to travel a lot, into countries with different jurisdictions, different currencies, countries in the European Union (EU) and Non-EU, so it was not easy.

"It was a format that was decided before I came [into post] and I respect it. It is an interesting idea but it is hard to implement and I don't think we will do it again."

It made no sense when it first came about, no sense during the tournament, and thankfully it looks like it won't happen again.

6 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

This is cool.

20210709_155307.thumb.jpg.b8dcac646ce2788857a29e753567313f.jpg

Grassroots football is everything.

Interesting to see the ones that started out at a big club instantly, they must have stuck out like a sore thumb as a kid, Rice directly to Chelsea, Walker here with us, Ben White & Sancho.

• Subscriber

The format's been a bit of a shambles really but I do think the amount of games in St Petersburg, and Baku was an error. I don't think Wembley should have all three of the final games but I do realise the logistical ballache of playing in say, Munich in the quarters, Rome in the semis, London in the final.

St Petersburg got double the number of games a lot of the others got. They effectively replaced Dublin.

Baku should never, ever have been considered under any circumstances. It's a complete joke and has literally no redeeming factor. Miles from everybody except Turkey (who I think if you're putting it out that way, just give it to Istanbul), bad conditions, enormous white elephant of a ground, locals totally disinterested. There was just nothing good about it being in Baku. Literally one of the worst hosts they could've picked.

I tell you what is a disgrace.

Firstly, seeing all these Z List celebrities being handed complimentary tickets for the big games. Absolute rats. Noticed it for the semi's and now the final.

At the very least, dish them out to the NHS workers or people actually more deserving for their services. Why reward fucking influencers just so they can update their Instagram's? Cunts.

Secondly, a shoutout to all those shitbags who have tickets for the final and are now selling their soul for a quick buck.

If you are a true fan, surely you don't want to miss something you may never see again. I get not everyone that has tickets cares and will do exactly that but I'm really surprised how easily some people's heads are turned at the flash of a few K's.

I don't think I could honestly sell a ticket for a final unless it was seriously life changing. Just makes me sick to see.

5 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Firstly, seeing all these Z List celebrities being handed complimentary tickets for the big games. Absolute rats. Noticed it for the semi's and now the final.

At the very least, dish them out to the NHS workers or people actually more deserving for their services.

Secondly, a shoutout to all those shitbags who have tickets for the final and are now selling their soul for a quick buck.

If you are a true fan, surely you don't want to miss something you may never see again. I get not everyone that has tickets cares and will do exactly that but I'm really surprised how easily some people's heads are turned at the flash of a few K's.

I was baffled that Rob Beckett survived the 'random ballot' on more than once occasion but seeing Lorraine Kelly in the crowd was absolutely laughable. There's former England players that couldn't get tickets!

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I don't think I could honestly sell a ticket for a final unless it was seriously life changing. Just makes me sick to see

Yeah never, not a chance. Especially something that has never even happened before in terms of England reaching this stage of the Euros. 

9 minutes ago, Lucas said:

At the very least, dish them out to the NHS workers or people actually more deserving for their services. Why reward fucking influencers just so they can update their Instagram's? Cunts.

I don't think I could honestly sell a ticket for a final unless it was seriously life changing. Just makes me sick to see.

Tbf to the people in the last bit, this has been a tough year for some people financially.

If it was me I’d never sell tickets to a final… but I don’t think it’s that great to judge people for making financial decisions in a year that for a lot of people was absolutely financial carnage. I’m sure selling those tickets for a lot of people was actually soul crushing - but I could see a lot of people doing it if they were in their shoes tbh.

Don’t forget, for some people this year hasn’t just been marked with lockdown and that for a lot of people times might be very tough right now.

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbf to the people in the last bit, this has been a tough year for some people financially.

If it was me I’d never sell tickets to a final… but I don’t think it’s that great to judge people for making financial decisions in a year that for a lot of people was absolutely financial carnage. I’m sure selling those tickets for a lot of people was actually soul crushing - but I could see a lot of people doing it if they were in their shoes tbh.

Don’t forget, for some people this year hasn’t just been marked with lockdown and that for a lot of people times might be very tough right now.

Same argument could be said that getting a ticket to such an occasion is a positive way to end a really shitty year. Win or lose you get to experience something totally unique. 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Same argument could be said that getting a ticket to such an occasion is a positive way to end a really shitty year. Win or lose you get to experience something totally unique. 

Yeah from a personal standpoint, I would never give a ticket like that away under any conditions I could reasonably foresee in my life.

But I’d be hesitant to judge people after selling after the year we’ve all had. You dunno what’s happened to them or why they might be selling the ticket(s)

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah from a personal standpoint, I would never give a ticket like that away under any conditions I could reasonably foresee in my life.

But I’d be hesitant to judge people after selling after the year we’ve all had. You dunno what’s happened to them or why they might be selling the ticket(s)

Nah they're all cunts fuck them

• The title was changed to FINAL - Italy 1-1 England - Sunday 11th July, 2021

Archived