talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FINAL - Italy (p) 1-1 England - Sunday 11th July, 2021

football forum

2 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

What kind of name is Washington Envelopes xD

That was my first thought as well, but I wasn't sure if there's some cultural thing going on or something. xD

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
9 minutes ago, Devil said:

I liked Kew Park Rangers. 

9 minutes ago, Tommy said:

That was my first thought as well, but I wasn't sure if there's some cultural thing going on or something. xD

Kew is a region in London to be fair. 

Washington Envelopes is weird though xD

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

Kew is a region in London to be fair

Washington Envelopes is weird though xD

Yeah I'm aware there is a place called Kew in London. It's the play on words that I like.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Lucas said:

I tell you what is a disgrace.

Firstly, seeing all these Z List celebrities being handed complimentary tickets for the big games. Absolute rats. Noticed it for the semi's and now the final.

At the very least, dish them out to the NHS workers or people actually more deserving for their services. Why reward fucking influencers just so they can update their Instagram's? Cunts.

Secondly, a shoutout to all those shitbags who have tickets for the final and are now selling their soul for a quick buck.

If you are a true fan, surely you don't want to miss something you may never see again. I get not everyone that has tickets cares and will do exactly that but I'm really surprised how easily some people's heads are turned at the flash of a few K's.

I don't think I could honestly sell a ticket for a final unless it was seriously life changing. Just makes me sick to see.

Total disgrace especially given there've already been plemty of fans robbed of going by restrictions. The elitism in these things always shines through though.

The whole thing about the game being about the fans was a facade to keep people quiet. The super league changed nothing. In-fact it just confirmed something I thought all along, words mean more than actions and people swallow it.

19 hours ago, The Premier Steve's said:

:4_joy::4_joy::4_joy:

Probably a hornets nest, but:

Graeme Souness tried to make out it means the same to the English players.

I've known of people who tell me it's just a certain political party, that the apparently salty non-English are on about.

But.. that newspaper seems to me very much how it is.

5 years ago I was rooting for Wales. Ok, with less enthusiasm than if it were England. Or Britain. Certainly no laughing when they went out.

Way back during USA 1994, at school, I was rooting for Republic of Ireland. Punching the air when Ray Houghton scored his goal. Against the Italians.

I laughed when England beat Holland 4-1 at Euro 96, giving Scotland a glimmer of hope at joining England in the knock out stages. And was a little disappointed when they didn't take the chance.

But a significant portion, who we/English, always, always, in all situations, have to concede smell of roses rather than salt.. they'll be laughing far too long if Italy win this.. and if asked, they'll insist it's something to do with politics. Or an offensive flag that isn't being used by the England football team. etc. etc.

It's just sad really. But there's no end in sight to it all. Now even more than ever.

7 hours ago, Lucas said:

I tell you what is a disgrace.

Firstly, seeing all these Z List celebrities being handed complimentary tickets for the big games. Absolute rats. Noticed it for the semi's and now the final.

At the very least, dish them out to the NHS workers or people actually more deserving for their services. Why reward fucking influencers just so they can update their Instagram's? Cunts.

Secondly, a shoutout to all those shitbags who have tickets for the final and are now selling their soul for a quick buck.

If you are a true fan, surely you don't want to miss something you may never see again. I get not everyone that has tickets cares and will do exactly that but I'm really surprised how easily some people's heads are turned at the flash of a few K's.

I don't think I could honestly sell a ticket for a final unless it was seriously life changing. Just makes me sick to see.

Yeh I’ve heard stories of fans who’ve gone to every England away game (pre-pandemic of course) who couldn’t get tickets for games and yet you see people like James Corden swanning in, no doubt on a freebie. 

You get gloryhunters at club level of course, and they’re the worst thing about sport. Wouldn’t be seen dead at a rainy midweek game in November, but as soon as there’s possible glory on the cards they’ll waltz in masquerading as real fans. Certainly wouldn’t trust any of these types of people in a marriage. 

53 minutes ago, Ploughendplonker said:

Yeh I’ve heard stories of fans who’ve gone to every England away game (pre-pandemic of course) who couldn’t get tickets for games and yet you see people like James Corden swanning in, no doubt on a freebie. 

You get gloryhunters at club level of course, and they’re the worst thing about sport. Wouldn’t be seen dead at a rainy midweek game in November, but as soon as there’s possible glory on the cards they’ll waltz in masquerading as real fans. Certainly wouldn’t trust any of these types of people in a marriage. 

These guys do pay, according to threads on other sites about booking agents, they just buy their tickets differently.

Gareth Southgate: "‘People have tried to invade us and we've had the courage to hold that back. You can't hide that some of the energy in the stadium against Germany was because of that.’"

Yet you wonder why most of the world is againt you...

Hopefully England aren’t just there to take part, They can actually beat Italy in style for me just need to believe in themselves and take the fucking game to the Italians. Can’t believe im sitting here just hours ahead of watching England in the final of a major tournament. Its unreal.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Gareth Southgate: "‘People have tried to invade us and we've had the courage to hold that back. You can't hide that some of the energy in the stadium against Germany was because of that.’"

Huh? 

• Administrator

Sorry I misread it at first. 

I think it's ill judged but perhaps not as dramatic or bad it sounds in the whole context of his comments. 

30 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I mean it's probably not the most advisable quote but the context is clearly the history of the fixture, the 1966 edition was held in living memory of ww2 and that was important to those there then. Of course there is footballing reasons now that the fixture is so big, but the war is the driving factor for it being so big in the first place. A bit like the Falklands was the original factor behind Argentina being one of our big rivals. This isn't a phenomenon unique to the England rivalries. 

3 hours ago, Tommy said:

Weird comment if he really did say that out of nowhere.

4 hours ago, Machado said:

Weird comment if he really did say that out of nowhere.

He was asked about the atmosphere against Germany and if it was linked to the war I think. Games against Germany will always be linked to the war for certain generations here, Gareth was born in 1970 and played in the 1990s so is going to be more aware of that than his younger players. 

Gary Neville did give me a laugh on ITV's preview show last night, going on a rant about how in his day not knowing who Geoff Hurst was would have been seen as disrespectful. Pougatch was quick to point out that Saka was born 45 years after that match so it's not surprising whereas Gary was born 9 years after it. It's probably more comparable to Neville not knowing who scored in the successful 1929 English Home Championship campaign. 

18 minutes ago, internationalsfan said:

He was asked about the atmosphere against Germany and if it was linked to the war I think. Games against Germany will always be linked to the war for certain generations here, Gareth was born in 1970 and played in the 1990s so is going to be more aware of that than his younger players. 

Gary Neville did give me a laugh on ITV's preview show last night, going on a rant about how in his day not knowing who Geoff Hurst was would have been seen as disrespectful. Pougatch was quick to point out that Saka was born 45 years after that match so it's not surprising whereas Gary was born 9 years after it. It's probably more comparable to Neville not knowing who scored in the successful 1929 English Home Championship campaign. 

It's fellas in their 40s and 50s who sing about the war. It's weird

6 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

It's fellas in their 40s and 50s who sing about the war. It's weird

Far enough removed from the war not to have experienced the death from it first hand such as loss of immediate family, but close enough to have seen the effect of it on other family members and the hatred of their parents and grandparents towards the Germans and inherit it. Makes perfect sense. 

• The title was changed to FINAL - Italy 1-1 England - Sunday 11th July, 2021

Archived