talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FINAL - Italy (p) 1-1 England - Sunday 11th July, 2021

football forum

2 minutes ago, internationalsfan said:

Far enough removed from the war not to have experienced the death from it first hand such as loss of immediate family, but close enough to have seen the effect of it on other family members and the hatred of their parents and grandparents towards the Germans and inherit it. Makes perfect sense. 

It makes absolutely no sense to be singing about a war that happened over 75 years ago at a game of football.

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

It makes absolutely no sense to be singing about a war that happened over 75 years ago at a game of football.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but football fans sing about all sorts at football matches and it just makes sense that generation would be the one to sing about the war if any were. When they started singing these chants it wasn't 75 years ago. 

My prediction. 

Italy have more of the ball because their midfield is actually good with actual midfielders who can actually pass a football, England soak up the pressure well but Kane is too isolated for an effective counter. But England take a surprise lead through a bulldog turnover or a set piece. Italy continue to look the better side but they go to the break 1-0 down. 

Post break England sit even deeper, looking to break out with pace, however, after a rare England foray into the Italian 3rd, it's the pizza men who knock down the door, a lightning counter sees Chiesa on the end of an Immobile lay off. 1-1.

Italy are on the march, and attack doggedly for an extended period. Their quality tells and Chiesa nets a second as he runs in unmarked at the back post off an Insigne cross. 2-1

The game opens up and England pour everything on, but as the game gets stretched the extra day off and extra quality in the Italian side pays off and Insigne seals the deal on another counter, finding the top corner and sealing the deal!

3-1 Italy. 

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Also, fuck all them YouTubers and other no mark celebrities who’ve blagged tickets for this. Hope that Fogden and his Dad get a new variant of Covid and aids. And Rob Beckett. First time was funny, it’s wearing thin now. 

Youtubers just get tickets from the media allocation I’m pretty sure?

12 hours ago, Tommy said:

Gareth Southgate: "‘People have tried to invade us and we've had the courage to hold that back. You can't hide that some of the energy in the stadium against Germany was because of that.’"

Yet you wonder why most of the world is againt you...

Not seen the rest of his comments but when it comes to England playing Germany the war is literally ingrained in our footballing culture (at international level, not so much club).

Southgate though is a smarter man than to pander to that

18 minutes ago, Danny said:

Not seen the rest of his comments but when it comes to England playing Germany the war is literally ingrained in our footballing culture (at international level, not so much club).

Southgate though is a smarter man than to pander to that

Yup, anybody who thinks the significance of that 1966 World Cup match isn't heightened because it was against West Germany has completely lost their marbles.

Yeah, not the best avenue for Southgate to let himself go down. I haven't looked into all the context around it.

But.. the 2nd World War was very much in living memory for 1990 & 1996.

20 to 30 year olds in 1945 were 65 to 75 in 1990 & had been pointing out all the old air raid bunkers to kids & grandkids.

There are now console games where people can re-enact famous battles of the war.. but the BBC did stop making new war themed sitcoms during the 1990's.

I don't think anyone can underestimate that if England had won through both, or even just the one 90's semi final, there would probably be less people still talking about it. Or indeed if England had won or lost another World Cup star or 2 to focus on, against alternate opposition.

Argentina the only side that came close to the focus on Germany. It is perhaps still far too easy even today for people to latch onto anti-German stances as being a defining feature of English-ness. If nothing else we must seem like pre money era Manchester City banging on about Manchester United. Who of course were more concerned with Liverpool, Arsenal & others.

• Subscriber

And now we start! It’s coming home lads, crying either way tonight whatever happens!

Only 2 of us for now. As mate from Manchester has covid. Few more joining later maybe. Enough drinks for a few hours I thibk!

h2xw3Sp.jpg
QKsKd95.jpg

yggJtsv.jpgC0wsaOY.jpg

5 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Yeah, not the best avenue for Southgate to let himself go down. I haven't looked into all the context around it.

But.. the 2nd World War was very much in living memory for 1990 & 1996.

20 to 30 year olds in 1945 were 65 to 75 in 1990 & had been pointing out all the old air raid bunkers to kids & grandkids.

There are now console games where people can re-enact famous battles of the war.. but the BBC did stop making new war themed sitcoms during the 1990's.

I don't think anyone can underestimate that if England had won through both, or even just the one 90's semi final, there would probably be less people still talking about it. Or indeed if England had won or lost another World Cup star or 2 to focus on, against alternate opposition.

Argentina the only side that came close to the focus on Germany. It is perhaps still far too easy even today for people to latch onto anti-German stances as being a defining feature of English-ness. If nothing else we must seem like pre money era Manchester City banging on about Manchester United. Who of course were more concerned with Liverpool, Arsenal & others.

I don't think the quote is anywhere near as bad in full context:

The manager referenced England's wartime spirit as he urged supporters to be proud the country's achievements on and off the pitch. 

'I think there are historic things that we should be proud of,' Southgate said on Friday. 

'There are different aspects to it, but at heart I go back to the values that my parents gave me and treating people as you would want to be treated, and just respectful really.

'But also people have tried to invade us and we've had the courage to hold that back. You can't hide that some of the energy in the stadium against Germany was because of that. I never mentioned that to the players, but I know that's part of what that story was.

'We have so many things here that we should be proud of that we probably underestimate, that maybe if we were living in other countries we always see what's good about them, but we are always looking at the negatives of our own country.

'Yet we have got so much to be proud of. For an island our size, we've got an incredible influence on the world and we've got to keep that in a positive way.'

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Needed for when we get spirits in mate. Told owner to buy some and he obliged. xD

Good lad, have a good one :D 

7 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I am watching the game on Clapham High Street and based on what it was like after the Sweden World Cup game I expect it to be mental afterwards if we win.

I'd imagine police forces and A&E departments across the country are bricking it for tonight. A thought for all those who'll have to work tonight during the match to keep others safe from themselves. 

3 minutes ago, internationalsfan said:

I'd imagine police forces and A&E departments across the country are bricking it for tonight. A thought for all those who'll have to work tonight during the match to keep others safe from themselves. 

Definitely, most of them would have had days off cancelled too.

• The title was changed to FINAL - Italy 1-1 England - Sunday 11th July, 2021

Archived