talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FINAL - Italy (p) 1-1 England - Sunday 11th July, 2021

football forum

7 minutes ago, internationalsfan said:

I was writing an assessment of the 2030 bids before I saw that arrest figure. Tbh for a big match in the UK 50 ain't a massive number but I don't think 'Only 50 chavs got pissed up enough to requiring arrest from the police, and only 19 fans were injured. Whilst this sounds bad it is comparative to some club derby days throughout a regular season in the past decade, and mostly driven by excess alcohol consumption rather than hooliganism/gang warfare' will look great in the application. 

So do many other European countries. The issue we have is trying to make out we're an open, liberal western European country to the rest of the world, when culturally with have far more in common with Poland or Hungary than Italy, Belgium or Norway, although we do seem to increasingly be willing to own that fact in the past decade. 

That was 50 people between the stadium and Wembley Park station, which is a relatively short walk. That’s not across London or the whole country, where it’ll be well into the three figures.

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

I think Sancho and Rashford were just stone cold. Still terrible penalties though for lads with such ability, but pressure does these things. 

Make sure it’s United players that fuck it up though.  Lights a fire in them usually.

They should have been on much earlier. Don't understand the refusal to take Kane off. Go and win it in extra time rather than save Kane for a penalty. 

• Administrator
Just now, LFCMike said:

They should have been on much earlier. Don't understand the refusal to take Kane off. Go and win it in extra time rather than save Kane for a penalty. 

Mount should have come off much earlier, too. Not being harsh but he was less than useless yesterday. Happy to keep Kane on given he's 99% guaranteed to score a penalty (and he did). 

Agree that any subs could have been made earlier to try and win it. 

7 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

That was 50 people between the stadium and Wembley Park station, which is a relatively short walk. That’s not across London or the whole country, where it’ll be well into the three figures.

With the population of most major cities in the UK around the area on the equivalent of a New Years Eve, 50 arrests is low in that context. 

Just now, internationalsfan said:

With the population of most major cities in the UK around the area on the equivalent of a New Years Eve, 50 arrests is low in that context. 

You’re really missing the point. That’s 50 people arrested and 19 police injured in a stretch of something like a quarter of a mile. It’s a frankly absurd and ridiculous figure. 

1 minute ago, internationalsfan said:

They threw a guy in River Thames, There was a challenge like 'k*** a black person'. England fans are worse than most of the other teams and they do not deserve to host the tournament on that basis alone

5 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

You’re really missing the point. That’s 50 people arrested and 19 police injured in a stretch of something like a quarter of a mile. It’s a frankly absurd and ridiculous figure. 

With hundreds of thousands of people there, most of whom have been drinking all weekend and would be spread out across not just London but the country. You're missing the point. Have you ever been to a important local derby? 19 police and stewards getting  some form of injury isn't that uncommon. 

4 minutes ago, montybhopa said:

They threw a guy in River Thames, There was a challenge like 'k*** a black person'. England fans are worse than most of the other teams and they do not deserve to host the tournament on that basis alone

Every country has far right hooligans for fucks sake. It's abhorrent but the idea it wouldn't happen in another country if 3 black players missed spot kicks is self-indulgent nonsense from other countries trying to ignore their own problems. I'm not saying the UK doesn't have cultural issues, but the idea this wouldn't be the case in France, Hungary, Germany etc is bonkers. Racists will find an excuse wherever they can, that doesn't make every English football fan a racist.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Did you watch the game? xD

Yeah and I don’t think that equaliser looks that great from him. A penalty save doesn’t really change that.

Tbh he’s easily England’s worst player of the tournament… because most England players didn’t put a foot wrong all tournament, whereas he’s the only one who made serious mistakes (other than Southgate putting on those lads to take penalties) in trying to get knocked out to Denmark and gifting away our lead in the final.

23 minutes ago, internationalsfan said:

I was writing an assessment of the 2030 bids before I saw that arrest figure. Tbh for a big match in the UK 50 ain't a massive number but I don't think 'Only 50 chavs got pissed up enough to requiring arrest from the police, and only 19 fans were injured. Whilst this sounds bad it is comparative to some club derby days throughout a regular season in the past decade, and mostly driven by excess alcohol consumption rather than hooliganism/gang warfare' will look great in the application. 

So do many other European countries. The issue we have is trying to make out we're an open, liberal western European country to the rest of the world, when culturally with have far more in common with Poland or Hungary than Italy, Belgium or Norway, although we do seem to increasingly be willing to own that fact in the past decade. 

Italy, Belgium, and Norway have their own pretty serious racism problems as well tbh

With hundreds of thousands of people there, most of whom have been drinking all weekend and would be spread out across not just London but the country. You're missing the point. Have you ever been to a important local derby? 19 police and stewards getting  some form of injury isn't that uncommon. 

Every country has far right hooligans for fucks sake. It's abhorrent but the idea it wouldn't happen in another country if 3 black players missed spot kicks is self-indulgent nonsense from other countries trying to ignore their own problems. I'm not saying the UK doesn't have cultural issues, but the idea this wouldn't be the case in France, Hungary, Germany etc is bonkers. 

The fifty figure is purely on Wembley Way. It’s not across London, it’s not even that London Boroughs total, it’s a stretch of about a quarter of a mile. It’s really not that hard to comprehend. Nineteen officers (it’s not stewards, it’s police staff, not minimum wage stewards) getting injured in that short space is horrendous, as is the general behaviour of people in that one very, very small stretch of Wembley. 

Every country has far right hooligans for fucks sake. It's abhorrent but the idea it wouldn't happen in another country if 3 black players missed spot kicks is self-indulgent nonsense from other countries trying to ignore their own problems. I'm not saying the UK doesn't have cultural issues, but the idea this wouldn't be the case in France, Hungary, Germany etc is bonkers. 

Stop comparing it to club games and trying to defend it. Highest arrests in the whole of 18/19 was 80 for one club, followed by 49. Highest in 19/20 was 52 (obviously only two thirds of the season was played with fans)

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Italy, Belgium, and Norway have their own pretty serious racism problems as well tbh

Which for some reason aren't a 'national shame' that means they 'should never host a football match'. It's only English louts that are bad, the European narrative is so obvious and so clear, we're being demonised by mainland Europe the way they used to demonise Russia. 

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

Stop comparing it to club games and trying to defend it. Highest arrests in the whole of 18/19 was 80 for one club, followed by 49. Highest in 19/20 was 52 (obviously only two thirds of the season was played with fans)

That's in stadium, which is completely different to the figure used last night. 

Thought we would have had the mental advantage as normally the side that should have won in normal time (Italy) bottle it to the team that scraped their way to penalties. Should have took those with pressure off as reaching that stage was a bonus in itself and Italy should have seen extra time as failure after their 2nd half performance. World Cup being a year away is the best way to look at it but I fear the South American sides as they usually get the better of us. 

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah and I don’t think that equaliser looks that great from him. A penalty save doesn’t really change that.

Tbh he’s easily England’s worst player of the tournament… because most England players didn’t put a foot wrong all tournament, whereas he’s the only one who made serious mistakes (other than Southgate putting on those lads to take penalties) in trying to get knocked out to Denmark and gifting away our lead in the final.

That's an absolute load of rubbish mate and I'm sure you're on the wind up.

3 minutes ago, internationalsfan said:

Which for some reason aren't a 'national shame' that means they 'should never host a football match'. It's only English louts that are bad, the European narrative is so obvious and so clear, we're being demonised by mainland Europe the way they used to demonise Russia. 

I mean our fans are absolute dickheads.

But that doesn’t make Italy, Norway or Belgium racism free utopias compared to Eastern Europe xD

Honestly, most Europeans are colossal racists. Western European and Eastern European, Western Europeans just act more ashamed of racism when their racism is pointed out. 

5 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I'm not trying to defend it, it's shitty an abhorrent and deserves all the condemnation it's got but it's not like this wouldn't have happened in other countries necessarily. 

And nobodies died (as far as I we know so far) which makes it a more successful event than France 2016 or Brazil 2014 or even the much heralded Russia 2018. 

4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

That's an absolute load of rubbish mate and I'm sure you're on the wind up.

Nah I don’t think it’s a wind up, I don’t think he deserves serious praise.

I also cannot get over Southgate’s penalty selections. What an absolute fucking moron and honestly what a bad man manager just throwing Saka to the wolves like that. He’s never going to forget missing that penalty for the rest of his life.

It blows my mind that the best England manager of my lifetime is very clearly Gareth Southgate. But he’s also probably the least qualified for the job and the worst manager on paper that we’ve had in the national team.

Weird stuff. Can’t believe we made a final. Can’t believe we took the lead so early either. It all feels like it was so close.

Just a bridge too far though.

• Administrator

@Dr. Gonzo are you for real regarding Pickford?!

What else was he meant to do with the equaliser? He saved it on to the post from a very close-range Verratti header?

He was nowhere near the worst player of the tournament. 

Struggling to think what serious mistakes Pickford made? 

• Subscriber
48 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Oooh look at me, I'm not hungover, pathetic.*

*I'm fucking hanging

Got the same response of the lads in the group chat. Hehehehe I’m fresh as a daisy me. xD

1 minute ago, Stan said:

@Dr. Gonzo are you for real regarding Pickford?!

What else was he meant to do with the equaliser? He saved it on to the post from a very close-range Verratti header?

He was nowhere near the worst player of the tournament. 

Struggling to think what serious mistakes Pickford made? 

Not fumble the ball away.

Am I being harsh on him because I think he’s a deranged little turd that should be flushed away from society?

Probably.

• Subscriber

So many positives from this, despite the pain we all feel right now. This squad have been amazing.

I’ve personally been proven on many counts. I didn’t even want Pickford as number one but he’s been a beast.

Archived