talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FINAL - Italy (p) 1-1 England - Sunday 11th July, 2021

football forum

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, shut up said:

You can say that about a lot of teams who reach finals. There is always an easier side of the draw. France were beaten by Switzerland. We did well to lose a penalty shootout in a euros final. Brilliant achievement for this squad.

You can. The same way I think in 2018 we'd maybe have not made it past the quarters if we'd not lost to Belgium in the group. We did do well but any talk of bus parades, knighthoods etc... need to be reigned in immediately. I would ask people where people think we 'should' have got to if that's to be the reaction.

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Dan said:

You can. The same way I think in 2018 we'd maybe have not made it past the quarters if we'd not lost to Belgium in the group. We did do well but any talk of bus parades, knighthoods etc... need to be reigned in immediately. I would ask people where people think we 'should' have got to if that's to be the reaction.

I mean out of the group stage should be the realistic expectation of an achievement based on English footballing history. Unfortunately our nation will never be fully satisfied with anything short of winning the whole tournament because we did it once in 1966. 

After an absolute shitbag of a year battling a disease that has crippled the world, what a fantastic four/five weeks that was in bringing everyone together.

Talk about uniting a country that was on it's knees start of the year in lockdown and compare those times to what's happened the past few weeks.

It was an incredible ride, one we never truly expected and we all got to share those moments with the people we love around us.

These Euro's were all anyone was really talking about anywhere you went here, and in all the tournaments I've seen from us, I've never seen an England squad as together and united as what we displayed. What a great spirit we've shown, you could never accuse these guys of not caring.

We literally went inches away from winning the whole bloody thing. Bad luck. Maybe we could have done some things differently. We were not the most exciting team in the tournament, but we did it our way and we nearly won it that way. I never in a million years thought we'd get that close and I was massively proved wrong.

I'm gutted like a lot of us, it could so easily have gone our way. But it just wasn't meant to be, best team won.

Don't let the English Media ruin the positivity. Ignore the idiots that tried to tarnish the occasion for some. Let's just reflect on what was a brilliant Euro's, and chill before we all go back to hating one another's clubs xD

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, shut up said:

Also, Spain nearly bottled it against Croatia and Switzerland. I reckon we would have caught them early enough to beat them at Wembley. They got better as the tournament went on. People are letting their performance against Italy go to their heads.

Knighthoods are a nonsense

Spain barely played a bad game in the tournament in terms of the actual performance. I think it would've gone similarly to last night really, Spain largely dictate the game and create the better chances but fluff the majority of them and end up drawing, like they seemed to in nearly every game. However on our penalty showing we'd have lost to anybody at that stage.

16 minutes ago, internationalsfan said:

I mean out of the group stage should be the realistic expectation of an achievement based on English footballing history. Unfortunately our nation will never be fully satisfied with anything short of winning the whole tournament because we did it once in 1966. 

That would hold some weight if people weren't expecting of Belgium as well. Belgium have won nothing ever, but their expectations naturally are raised because of their exceptional group of players they now have. That said, they have also totally failed to deliver. Their generation looking very much England of the naughties.

This is a good England squad. It's one of the best in the whole thing. It should be going far.

Pissing myself at Facebook mums posting and sharing stuff about Chiellini pulling back Saka and how proud he must be and how terrible he is for doing that to a teenager. No wonder kids grow up to throw beer up in the air when that’s their influential figure in life. 

Say whatever you wanna say about Ronaldo not being as good as Messi but he's a great leader, He always tried his best when Portugal played in international tournament and even when they failed, he was the one who took the responsibility rather than Messi who was overpowered by players like Mascherano, Tevez, Aguero in the team talks. 

My memory of the 2006 World Cup and is probably distorted by being an excitable 10 year old who had just discovered international football and fell in love with having never really given a crap about football at all to that point - especially club football, but I honestly don't think any tournament even in the group stages/early knockout stages has generated a buzz like this since that and quite possibly including that one - and not just for the England matches, although they obviously matter more. Or tell me Russia 2018 was bigger which is probably fair. 

I'm sure others will find other parallels as tournaments to ally it too that they remember before that. Shame I don't think the 2022 cup will have quite the same feel, with the  10am, 1pm, 4pm and 7pm kick off times. I assume that where possible big European countries like us and Germany, Italy or Spain will be given 7pm KOs. A 10am Wednesday morning kick off will hardly set the world alight. 

If England want to make use of their attacking talent they will then need a manager that excels in ball transition, both offensively and defensively. Particularly the latter as under Southgate England are bypassed in midfield frequently. 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, montybhopa said:

The so-called leader in the squad who was there for his 'experience' chickened out before the penalties.

Who? Henderson?

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Cicero said:

If England want to make use of their attacking talent they will then need a manager that excels in ball transition, both offensively and defensively. Particularly the latter as under Southgate England hey bypassed in midfield frequently. 

It'll always work against certain teams, but it will almost always get exposed at the top level as well. I'm surprised we took it to penalties last night. We were significantly second best.

1 minute ago, Dan said:

It'll always work against certain teams, but it will almost always get exposed at the top level as well. I'm surprised we took it to penalties last night. We were significantly second best.

Immobile and Belotti. 

The fuck is this? Saka was average in the game. False praise destroys people. He does not deserve racial abuse but call out his performance, I don't blame him. He's not good enough for pressure games atm and England hurried him up in the setup.

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Why? If you’re referring him to outing Keane as a shithouse, he should be held as some form of champion. Keane’s a vile gobshite. 

He's apparently 'liked' a tweet that was critical of Southgate's tactics. 

25 minutes ago, Cicero said:

If England want to make use of their attacking talent they will then need a manager that excels in ball transition, both offensively and defensively. Particularly the latter as under Southgate England are bypassed in midfield frequently. 

This is an area in which we've needed to improve on for some time, we are making progress though but yeah still work to be done.

56 minutes ago, montybhopa said:

The fuck is this? Saka was average in the game. False praise destroys people. He does not deserve racial abuse but call out his performance, I don't blame him. He's not good enough for pressure games atm and England hurried him up in the setup.

That is why teams win things and some dont. That 10/10 is like clapping a school kid who is coming last in the race, these guys are professional competitive sportsmen and maybe some criticism may make them come back stronger but no stuff like this, giving false praise to losers.

Archived