talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FINAL - Italy (p) 1-1 England - Sunday 11th July, 2021

football forum

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the once every 55 years football viewers are now panning the team for taking off their silver medals. Every fucking team does this. It's bad luck to keep them on, and their elite athletes who just lost.

To be honest I'd preferred it when England were shit and the people who watched them actually knew the first thing about football. 

1 minute ago, internationalsfan said:

All the once every 55 years football viewers are now panning the team for taking off their silver medals. Every fucking team does this. It's bad luck to keep them on, and their elite athletes who just lost.

To be honest I'd preferred it when England were shit and the people who watched them actually knew the first thing about football. 

You still pissed?

Anyways what an amazing tournament it was. Hope we had more of it but eventually people are gonna get bored of it and would dilute the prestige of the competition so its good we have a gap between international tournaments.

4 minutes ago, montybhopa said:

Anyways what an amazing tournament it was. Hope we had more of it but eventually people are gonna get bored of it and would dilute the prestige of the competition so its good we have a gap between international tournaments.

I don't think it would dilute the prestige of international tournaments. The nation's league hasn't really damped the prestige of the Euros or World Cup as everyone thought it might. 

I'd prefer to see a World Cup every two years, and a Euros in the off year, only having two or three chances to win a world cup in your entire career, when many sports have yearly world championships seems harsh. 

11 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

You still pissed?

I don't drink thankfully, so no hangover to worry about.

I think I've decided I'd have taken Mount & Trippier off for Grealish & Sancho.

Put Sterling behind Kane in the middle.

Roll the dice that 6 defensive players & the keeper hold out & have 4 possible options to counter.

And if Sterling wasn't in the first 6 penalty takers, which I never thought he would be, then Rashford on for him much, much earlier in Extra Time. Let the guy have a few touches before a pre-planned mega moment.

38 minutes ago, It's Coming Home! said:

That is why teams win things and some dont. That 10/10 is like clapping a school kid who is coming last in the race, these guys are professional competitive sportsmen and maybe some criticism may make them come back stronger but no stuff like this, giving false praise to losers.

A professional competitive sportsman is not going to have his entire character dependent on a bit of one off false praise from SkySports.

This reminds me of Stokes in Cricket World Cup. Bowled absolutely trash in the final, lost the game for England singlehandedly, was criticized down to the core, mocked and all that BS. Few years later, comes back stronger and wins the WC for England singlehandedly.

7 minutes ago, internationalsfan said:

I don't think it would dilute the prestige of international tournaments. The nation's league hasn't really damped the prestige of the Euros or World Cup as everyone thought it might. 

I'd prefer to see a World Cup every two years, and a Euros in the off year, only having two or three chances to win a world cup in your entire career, when many sports have yearly world championships seems harsh. 

I don't drink thankfully, so no hangover to worry about.

I do think a World Cup every 2 years would make sense.

I guess regional confederations would want to work out some way to maintain regional competitions of some format.

But the current every 4 year thing dates back to the 1930's. And for us, the Euro's was added to as the alternate cycle from 1960.

I would agree a 21st century model, with so much commercial appetite for the sport, a World Cup every 2 years would seem like a good move.

Just now, Stan said:

WC would become so saturated if it was every 2 years. 

FIFA  already seem keen to saturate it with the move to 48 teams and a nonsensical 3 Team Groups format, I'd much rather they just admitted they only want more cash and went to 32 teams every two years rather than ruin the entire tournament to make more money. 

20 minutes ago, montybhopa said:

I think Champions League should be once in 4 years

Think about this really hard. And how it wouldn’t work……..

“Sorry lads, I know you’re champions but the competition was last year. Tough titties”.

I think Southgate´s biggest mistake was not the selection of penalty takers, but giving Italy the ball after scoring the goal. 

Funny how football works sometimes, because I think the Shaw goal actually turned the scenario of the match to something much more favorable to Italy. They were having a really tough defensively early on, especially on that Emerson side. But after it, England stopped putting pressure on their defence.

That lead was a sort of a mental trap to England, in the sense that holding it became their sole objective on the match. 

Having sais that, it´s a tough defeat for sure, but the future still looks bright for England. France also lost an Euro final at home and then two years later came back stronger to win the World Cup. 

1 hour ago, montybhopa said:

If Chiesa did not get injured, Italy would have won in the normal time.

You aren't getting off that easily. 

How do you propose a 4 year CL work? 

giphy.gif

• Subscriber

United players playing for England a jinx?

1998 World Cup - Beckham gets sent off.

Euro 2000 - Phil Neville gives a penalty away near the end of the game.

World Cup 2002 - Rivaldo equalizes but the move started because Beckham jumped out of a tackle, the Ronaldhino goal via a free kick was from a stupid tackle from Scholes.

World Cup 2006 - Rooney gets a red card.

Euro 2020 - Sancho and Rashford miss penalties. 

1 hour ago, montybhopa said:

I see he’s been called out somewhat on his Hillsborough shouts in those tweets. They’re not really comparable, bar too many people being in one area, though it’s quite a link to tie the two together, especially when you consider the differences between Hillsborough and Wembley, like Hillsborough being fans actively encouraged and welcomed into the stadium, where Wembley wasn’t that and people forced their way in. 

That said, the whole England culture, I’ll call it that, we’ve seen grow over the past few tournaments, the chucking of pints and bottles that’s completely purposely done and not natural, the congregating and anti social behaviour and general anti social behaviour, that needs addressing as does the societal issue we have with racism in this country that go way behind football supporters. 

Anyway, it’s sad there’s a lot of this side of things being discussed and it’s not all the analysis of the tournament and the final. 

Archived