talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FINAL - Italy (p) 1-1 England - Sunday 11th July, 2021

football forum

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Marcus Rashford is an impressive human being. Everything I've heard, read and seen of him (off the pitch at least) is pure class. 

Pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly. Hard to believe at 23 he has such a good head on his shoulders. Excellent read what he put there. 

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Marcus Rashford is an impressive human being. Everything I've heard, read and seen of him (off the pitch at least) is pure class. 

Yeah, even as a LFC fan I can't help but really love Marcus Rashford. He's a good lad, doesn't deserve any of the abuse he gets. And he was unfairly made a target for abuse purely because of his political belief that poor kids shouldn't go hungry during a pandemic - it is unreal that anyone could find fault with that tbh.

25 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Let's not go crazy now.

In what way am I going crazy? One of Britain's major problems is our policing by consent rubbish. Although I appreciate the sentiment won't be shared by all, a few dozen AFOs manning the entrances to Wembley last night might have done a hell of a lot of good. I mean we shove them in train stations after every terrorist attack, so they could have used a terror threat as the reason to have them there if they didn't want to say it was to scare pissed chavs off idiocy. 

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, It's Coming Home! said:

That is why teams win things and some dont. That 10/10 is like clapping a school kid who is coming last in the race, these guys are professional competitive sportsmen and maybe some criticism may make them come back stronger but no stuff like this, giving false praise to losers.

Completely agree. I don't want him to be absolutely pillaried, I mean, it's a poor penalty for someone of his ability, but the management and senior members of the team should never be letting it get to a point where a 19 year old is taking a penalty like that. But don't mollycoddle. Toughen him. He will be better for it in the long run. I like Saka and I think he'll be a really good player one day. Shit like this has the mirage of helping him whilst doing the total opposite.

Tbh I dont see Saka making to WC 2022. He is playing with a very average club atm and in the past we have seen young stars becoming absolute nutters in the next few years. England could have done much better if they had Ward-Prowse

49 minutes ago, montybhopa said:

England should never host an international football tournament again. Even Russians and Brazilians were not this bad. 

People died in football fights at Brazil 2014. Get some perspective. Football and hooliganism are two peas in a pod. It's just part of the package, Italy got trashed last night too. 

Not seen anything of the scale of disorder during France 2016 either. That was forgotten and so will this be. 

The World Cup should stay every four years. That's the reason why it's so special, same as the Euros. And the format should stay like it is, with 32 teams. One day, we'll have half the globe playing the World Cup, at the rate they're changing the rules.

I would like to point this out: what's the fuss with Grealish? The way some people were talking about him, you would think he's the new Maradona. Wasn't that impressed with him, not because of this game, but during the whole tournament.

2 minutes ago, ASF said:

The World Cup should stay every four years. That's the reason why it's so special, same as the Euros. And the format should stay like it is, with 32 teams. One day, we'll have half the globe playing the World Cup, at the rate they're changing the rules.

I would like to point this out: what's the fuss with Grealish? The way some people were talking about him, you would think he's the new Maradona. Wasn't that impressed with him, not because of this game, but during the whole tournament.

I'm not opposed to 48 teams tbh. But 3 team groups is an absolute bloody disaster in making as there's no way to square it not to be open to be engineered by the teams during the last match. 

2 hours ago, montybhopa said:

Tbh I dont see Saka making to WC 2022. He is playing with a very average club atm and in the past we have seen young stars becoming absolute nutters in the next few years. England could have done much better if they had Ward-Prowse

He's one of England's most talented young players and he also played well in this tournament. A penalty being saved by a giant doesn't change that. Ward-Prowse wouldn't have done anything, wouldn't have even played a second.

3 hours ago, internationalsfan said:

In what way am I going crazy? One of Britain's major problems is our policing by consent rubbish. Although I appreciate the sentiment won't be shared by all, a few dozen AFOs manning the entrances to Wembley last night might have done a hell of a lot of good. I mean we shove them in train stations after every terrorist attack, so they could have used a terror threat as the reason to have them there if they didn't want to say it was to scare pissed chavs off idiocy. 

Regardless of how dumb those fans were, I'm not sure risking a police officer losing patience and shooting a fucker makes things any better. It was fans being pissed up, drunk pricks and they may have deserved getting dragged away but there was nothing that suggested that armed police needed to be there.

Having a justifiable reason to be pissed off at something doesn't mean you should take it to 100. Bad enough when you see that shit on social media. Perspective is still important.

7 hours ago, ASF said:

The Euro's is also letting in increasing numbers of no-hopers.

It used to be just 8 sides as recently as 1992.

Grealish.. on the evidence, partly because he's white perhaps, in all honesty.

But.. in his personal defence.. he is right footed, if you consider that against his highlight left foot moments in this tournament. Both his assists were off his weak foot. World Class players often use their weak foot. Kane wouldn't take a left foot shot chance vs Germany.

If you did want extended details, his club credentials, the following are probably all on YouTube:

For Villa he has scored goals like Manchester United (a). A Cantona style strike against them. He contributed in Aston Villa's 7-2 demolition of Liverpool. Go back pre-Premier League, he scored a volley from a corner Vs Derby County. During a club record run of wins just to reach play offs. He scored last day of the 2019/20 season Vs West Ham to keep them up in their first season back, on his weaker left.

So, he genuinely has been a very eye catching performer in recent seasons, as Villa's main man. A side that do catch the eye & garner a certain portion of attention. (As much as Jamie Carragher may like to laugh it off.)

Foden & Sterling may win things with Man City, but I've not seen them being as exciting individually.

Saka is very new & played wing back when I had seen him.

Sancho, I suspect many like myself have only seen him in an England shirt.

I do think there's a mystery we may one day get the full story of on the whole penalties question.

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, Tommy said:

Agreed. What a man, and what a head he has on those young shoulders.

Easy to say in hindsight I know but very strange choice to have Saka as the fifth penalty taker. Not just because he's 19, but surely penalty takers for shootouts are decided before the championships take place? Maybe not set in stone, but Southgate surely has a rough idea. As Saka wasn't necessarily definitely going to make it into the squad until Mason Greenwood's injury, and of course doesn't take them for his club, it seems an incredibly odd decision to have him as number 5.

I assumed Henderson was brought on for the shootout, because he took off Declan Rice who I thought had played quite well and wasn't on a card or anything like that. It's not like there were any injuries that would've caused a change to the order (Foden was injured but I presume he wouldn't have been top 5). 

53 minutes ago, JoshBRFC said:

Agreed. What a man, and what a head he has on those young shoulders.

Exactly, how many of these pathetic excuse for football supporters were calling for him to be knighted only twelve months ago. 

I loved our run in the Euro's but if it's going to create the level of hate towards lads like Rashford and Saka then I'm turned off by it. We're creating more pressure for the lads in future tournaments. Like any sport it's easy to sit in your seat or stand in a pub and say how the f*ck did he miss that but could you actually stand in their shoes with a full Wembley and the pressure of nation that hasn't won a trophy for 55 years. 

I'd imagine most people wouldn't have the balls to do it, he missed, he hit the post, he did a slow run up. He actually did everything right other than the finish, he sent the giant in goal the wrong way. 

As for Saka, too much for a 19 year old to take, Southgate held his hands up in the press conference, he got it wrong. I can live with that, he admitted he made a mistake with the penalty takers, could have gone the other way it didn't

3 minutes ago, Devil said:

Exactly, how many of these pathetic excuse for football supporters were calling for him to be knighted only twelve months ago. 

It won't be the same people. The racists will be the same ones who were saying 'don't have kids if you can't afford to feed them' and that he should concentrate on football rather than politics when he was making sure kids were getting fed.

12 hours ago, internationalsfan said:

That's an unnecessary leap.

At the end of the day the storming of Wembley wouldn't have happened if the authorities thought it might happen. A security and policing blindspot occurred. 

Our football domestically is regularly on the brink. Any large away following with high alcohol consumption is susceptible to an opportunist explosion at any moment. Our security in presence or action stop it happening every weekend. It is largely controlled and confined but always teeters on the brink. What could any moment escalate is not eradicated, rather we just try to stop it escalating. With England often abroad and now seemingly at home what controls and confines falls short of the standard required.

11 hours ago, Dan said:

Completely agree. I don't want him to be absolutely pillaried, I mean, it's a poor penalty for someone of his ability, but the management and senior members of the team should never be letting it get to a point where a 19 year old is taking a penalty like that. But don't mollycoddle. Toughen him. He will be better for it in the long run. I like Saka and I think he'll be a really good player one day. Shit like this has the mirage of helping him whilst doing the total opposite.i

That's just not true. And that isnt me saying that its psychologists. He volunteered to take the final penalty in a European championship final on home soil. Hes mentality strong he wouldn't do that if he wasn't. The last thing he needs now is people being hard on him. It may seem like it toughen people up but all it does is creates is repressed anger and makes people depressed long term. Again mate that's not me saying that that's experts 

24 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

It won't be the same people. The racists will be the same ones who were saying 'don't have kids if you can't afford to feed them' and that he should concentrate on football rather than politics when he was making sure kids were getting fed.

Yeah, I know the type I've just come from a forum full of them. Totally ignoring the fact the majority of the kids suffering are from single parent homes where the father has upped and left them in the lurch. 

Marcus should just carry on what he's doing, he might not go down as one of the best footballers that ever lived but he will most certainly go do as one of them most inspirational. The type of role model this country should be immensely proud of for our children. 

I noticed Puff Daddy had commented on his Instagram post last night, that's the regard this lads held in, he's getting global superstars respect. 

8 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I would bet my remaining testicle that the people who signed that don’t watch football.

The amount of people on my timeline calling for a red card for Chiellini on his Saka shirt pulling, as well as mumsnet style “if this is what winning is then I’m glad we lost”...no, actual football fans would have jizzed our pants if we won the euros after doing what Chiellini did.

Some people are saying southgate has been a terrible england manager. I'd be fairly confident England wouldn't have reached the final with almost all the previous england managers. I'd actually say we would of not reached the semi finals of the world cup with quite a lot of them. We lost to iceland in the tournament before. It perfectly plausible we would have lost to Columbia or sweden with another manager

14 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Some people are saying southgate has been a terrible england manager. I'd be fairly confident England wouldn't have reached the final with almost all the previous england managers. I'd actually say we would of not reached the semi finals of the world cup with quite a lot of them. We lost to iceland in the tournament before. It perfectly plausible we would have lost to Columbia or sweden with another manager

Terrible is not fair.

In the past I've definitely criticised him for not getting the best out of the talent we have and he deserves credit for this tournament for sure. As good a ride as we have had, I still think we haven't found the right balance yet.

He deserves great credit for creating an amazing bond through the squad and he found a way to win games even if for the most part, we were a very conservative team.

I understand his approach in setting up to be solid and hard to beat, but you also wonder what could have been had he been a bit more flexible and actually gone for it a bit more. We have some truly unbelievable options and yet, it feels like we never really utilised them to their potential.

That would be my criticism. We've had two tough to take defeats in successive tournaments now, he's earned another shot but I hope he's learned some lessons himself. Sometimes, you got to be a bit more ballsy and it's those fine lines where you reap rewards.

22 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

England now have a young team and it remind me of Belgium 2014 (medium age is 24 for England) times are changed and this coach isn't even so bad. They just need a pure striker because Kane is not enough, we seen a good England, but not many goals. We should wait after 2022 cup for judge Southgate, but after all is the only one that achived results for England after a lot of time. I know that change coach every year result as a sick choice for the team. I will dismiss Southgate only for Antonio Conte.

Remember what happend to France after Euro 2016 their defeat at home in front of their fans maked them more strong. They ''cemented'' the group and had hungry to succeed in the World Cup, but France had strikers. Sadly  thinking of people that play in the Heat of Arabia isn't so good.

Archived