The better place to talk football.

FINAL - Italy (p) 1-1 England - Sunday 11th July, 2021

football forum

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
3 hours ago, The Premier Steve's said:

I just don't buy this idea that an MP that doesn't is making some sort of massive mistake. What I'm hearing and what I'm seeing is that there's maybe a good size audience who will respond well those MPs

Politically perhaps not, doesn't make it right in my eyes or the others that have criticised it.

Even from an electoral perspective, while I agree there's quite a big chunk of voters who are sceptical of the knee taking, it's a minority, it's shrinking and it will probably continue to do so. These attitudes are trying to have a last hurrah but it's taking cock and bull conspiracy theories about Marxism to even get the argument traction anywhere near the mainstream public space. This stuff has a shelf life.

Even Steve Baker, king of the libertarian Brexity backbench Tory types, is getting on board:

• Subscriber

This is also worth mentioning. While Tom Harwood is pretty much a fully paid-up Conservative outrider a lot of the time, and his motivation here is to do the work of 'the right wing' in trying to play down the conversation about racism and the work that still needs to be done in this country, these numbers still raise questions. This incredibly divisive conversation can be stoked pretty easily in the UK with a few racially abusive posts aimed at the right people. It would be very much in keeping with those weird Russian bots and their past patterns of behaviour to be helping to instigate this stuff and whip up division. I'm not saying that to play down the work that still needs doing to educate some people and police social media platforms for hate speech but it is worth bringing into the conversation.

4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Politically perhaps not, doesn't make it right in my eyes or the others that have criticised it.

Even from an electoral perspective, while I agree there's quite a big chunk of voters who are sceptical of the knee taking, it's a minority, it's shrinking and it will probably continue to do so. These attitudes are trying to have a last hurrah but it's taking cock and bull conspiracy theories about Marxism to even get the argument traction anywhere near the mainstream public space. This stuff has a shelf life.

Even Steve Baker, king of the libertarian Brexity backbench Tory types, is getting on board:

Read the full article, it's being used as a smokescreen to bring in their draconian and authoritarian social media laws. If the Tories suddenly start caring about something, you always need to ask why!!

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, internationalsfan said:

Read the full article, it's being used as a smokescreen to bring in their draconian and authoritarian social media laws. If the Tories suddenly start caring about something, you always need to ask why!!

Lol who do you think I am? :ph34r:

Just now, RandoEFC said:

Lol who do you think I am? :ph34r:

Johnson summoned tech companies to Downing Street on Tuesday to ask them to hand over details of those who posted racist content online to the police.

His official spokesperson said Johnson would “reiterate the urgent need for action ahead of tougher laws coming into force in the online harms bill”, and said there was “no question that abuse was upsetting, unfair and must be stamped out”.

A Twitter spokesperson said the platform had had a “constructive conversation” with Johnson.

Asked whether No 10 agreed with a government source who said the perpetrators should have their details handed over so that they could be made an example of, they said: “Yes, we expect social media companies to do everything they can to identify these people.

“The police already have a range of powers to identify and pursue those who use anonymity to spread hatred, but we have committed to strengthening the criminal law in this area.”

In the most serious version of this law everything you've ever written on this site would be linked to your name and address. By stoking the culture war on race, they (and the Russian government, who are pulling the strings here) have. You've got people flooding in larger numbers to a petition by Katie Price to be able to track anybody who disagrees with her because it's being resold as a way to catch racists out, it's utterly ridiculous and there's serious parallels to Trumpian US or Berlusconian Italy here. 

@The Premier Steve's I think you are saying that people have liked to keep politics and football separate before recent events? Something I agree with. However even if you think that to boo it shows that more often than not you are probably at least a bit racist. Even if you think politics should be kept out of football its unlikely you would boo taking the knee if you thought racism was a serious issue. As for politics and football it is only prohibited in match time. There is a potentially argument taking the knee breaks that rule. However at the same time that doesn't stop players from stating their positions in these matters out of match time. Marcus rashford campaigning for kids to not go hungry is allowed. 

Personally I dont feel that taking the knee does break the rules. They are not taking a political position they are just campaigning against inequality 

2 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

WTF

well they are black, aren't they?xD 7news coming in hard on the facts. Cue the Quiet Australian brigade getting angry over this 'censorship of facts and free speech' despite never watching 'bloody w'ogball' in their lives and how much they hate Aboriginals on doll

6 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

It's like when people boo taking the knee and say its because they dont like politics in football. No its they dont like the message they are hearing 

Horseshit. 

I don't like to see players bending the knee, because they are showing support to a political group that creates even more racism than fighting it.

So, yes, I don't like the bending the knee, for the reason above and because it brings politics into football.

4 minutes ago, ASF said:

Horseshit. 

I don't like to see players bending the knee, because they are showing support to a political group that creates even more racism than fighting it.

So, yes, I don't like the bending the knee, for the reason above and because it brings politics into football.

What political group? It has nothing to do with blm. It's been very specifically stated it's an anti discrimination gesture and has nothing to do with any political group 

Bending the knee is contextual, USA and Ingerlund? Yeah I get it. But for a country like Serbia or Albania it doesn't make sense because they can't even go a week without being at eachother's throat and they are practically cut from the same cloth, how can you expect understanding and empathy when they are tearing themselves apart?

It's lost all it's lustre anyway, it is such a meek gesture now. It meant a lot when the Americans were doing it during the anthem to protest injustices, now it is a routine handshake. It gets to the point where one must figure out their own method of protest, can't just import American cultural values and ideals and plug them in for the same effect.

This is an image I think of as defiance and protest and it's a good one as well, give NRL it's awful human beings but AFL has a weird history with racism.

Photographer who captured iconic Nicky Winmar racism image reflects ahead  of statue unveiling - ABC News

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

That sort of attitude doesn't help, just has people dig their heels in.

I dont care mate. Hes a prick. Hes scum and he's part of the problem. Southgate was very clear it wasnt to do with blm it was an anti discrimination gesture. 

2 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I dont care mate. Hes a prick. Hes scum and hes part of the problem

Well I do because I'd rather have someone turn a new leaf or appreciate a new view instead of telling them to fuck off. It doesn't have to be a fight, sometimes it does but there is no point alienating someone and having them associate your ideals with your aggressive behaviour.

I came from a small and rural town and I had some of the more conservative ideals due to my locale in life and if it wasn't for meeting new people and listening to how they think I'd probably be the same, and I definitely wouldn't have changed my mind if I was called 'scum'.

@Spike I dont have much tolerance for racist people. Maybe insulting them is the wrong thing to do.  But these people make the world worse. I'm not  black mate I'm white. But it makes me sick. I've seen enough of asf over the years to know hes stubborn and wont change. So why try to change him. Just call him the prick he is 

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@ASF  your a prick and part of the problem.  

No need for this as it never helps but @ASF if you're going to believe a YouTube video about the knee stuff over the players and manager saying repeatedly what the point of it is you're basically disagreeing with it for made up reasons. The video you've posted is by a guy called Paul Joseph Watson. A quick look at his Twitter feed...

... reveals him as someone who feels more upset about people showing solidarity to Marcus Rashford getting abused online, than he is about the racism itself. In fact he appears to spend so much time tweeting each day complaining about masks and denying the existence of racism in the UK that I'm surprised he's got time to make a video. I mean how stupid is this guy that he blames the actual racist graffiti on the mural in Manchester on social media accounts in Asia? Absolutely desperate stuff.

Why do people find it so much easier to believe that a bunch of multi millionaire footballers who see their team mates get racially abused on a regular basis, are secretly conspiring with the Marxist BLM defund the police group than they are to make a simple gesture in solidarity? Paul Joseph Watson has probably never met a single one of these players. Is he really better qualified than them to explain why they're making the gesture? This isn't a matter of opinion, the answer is no. Come on mate.

4 hours ago, Spike said:

It's lost all it's lustre anyway, it is such a meek gesture now.

It's tempting to think this and I did for a while. It remains true that the gesture alone is only a gesture but they've been vindicated in continuing to do it. See the conversations that have occurred around these issues over the past months. See the polling that says the majority of English football fans support the gesture even in the face of all the bed wetting from the Murdochian type newspaper columnists and and Paul Joseph Watson types tweeting from their Mummy's basement. See the way this England team mobilised the decent people of this country to rally around the lads who were racially abused by a dumb minority over the past few days. See the way the juvenile booing at the gesture reduced throughout the tournament.

Despite all of this, action is needed to combat racism, not just a gesture, but it's hard to argue that the protest itself hasn't had some positive impact over the last few weeks.

Archived