• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FINAL - Italy (p) 1-1 England - Sunday 11th July, 2021

football forum

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Spike said:

Why didn’t the veterans step up? Where was Grealish?

This. 

Where was the almighty, big game playing, best English player playing, Southgate needs to bring on playing, Jack Grealish?

• Administrator
Just now, Spike said:

The look on his face said he wanted to disappear, not take a penalty. 

Don't think that can be blamed on Southgate. Saka could have been confident about it and then gets to the box and confidence shakes. Southgate can't account for that. 

2 minutes ago, Danny said:

Best team won the comp, well done Italy.

Massive tournament from Southgate, big performances throughout, this team is still on the up. Still more progression from Saka, Sancho, Greenwood, Foden...done the country proud.

For those who rip on Portugal only winning 1 in 90. 
italy only win one knockout game in 90. 
pk against Spain and England and extra time against Austria 

poor pk decisions by England. Subs to take pk don’t work remember zaza in 2016?

Just now, Stan said:

Don't think that can be blamed on Southgate. Saka could have been confident about it and then gets to the box and confidence shakes. Southgate can't account for that. 

Yes he can, he is their manager, he should know his players. Part of his job is knowing what to expect from his boys

• Subscriber

Saka was absolutely abysmal from the moment he came on. Absolutely no surprise he’s taken a pen like that but got to look at management and wonder why he was allowed to do so.

Henderson was also a complete disaster. Rice going off was a huge blow 

Much of England will continue to write-off penalties as this mystical curse they have, and won't connect the dots with the fact that they hide all their experienced players and turn the whole team upside down about 10 seconds before they start. 

"It's a lottery". Tell Italy that. 

Just now, Stan said:

Agreed. Wouldn’t put a lot of blame on Southgate unless this was all forced upon on him. Looks like this was the best takers or players that volunteered. 

Just now, Machado said:

I'm not proud to say I've been sleeping on Jorginho and Chiesa.

Jorginho gets some ridiculous criticism from people. He has been consistently good for years.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

He’s the manager, it’s absolutely on his head how this shootout went. Taking off two experienced players right at the end, giving two of the first 5 pens to lads who have very little experience at this level is absolute madness. 

I was surprised Maguire took one.

Rashford has to be wishing he'd taken the same smash it approach.

Grealish? Beats me why he wasn't in the 5.

And Sterling... was a certain miss IMHO.. but.. he did so much all tournament to get things that far.

So... a step further than so many have known before.. but something familiar about the ending.

Just now, The Käiser said:

Out of curiosity are Italian fans as obnoxious blowing car horns everywhere or is that an Italian Canadian thing?

Americans, Australians, and Canadians with Italian heritage are some of the most obnoxious people I have ever met. 

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

He’s the manager, it’s absolutely on his head how this shootout went. Taking off two experienced players right at the end, giving two of the first 5 pens to lads who have very little experience at this level is absolute madness. 

But who’s to say in training, Sancho, Rashford, and Saka were miles better than the experienced? Or what if Henderson/Walker themselves didn’t want to take it? Particularly the former after his miss recently?

• Administrator
Just now, Rick said:

But they have experience at penalties, no? Rashford takes them for Man Utd? 

It's not on his head for how the players take the penalties 

I'm not totally absolving Southgate of the game, by the way. I'm just saying he can't be hounded on once the penalty takers are chosen. If those players have stepped up and shown the confidence to Southgate that he wants to take one, then what else can he do? Put someone in place that is less confident? What kind of management would that be? 

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Yes he can, he is their manager, he should know his players. Part of his job is knowing what to expect from his boys

I think the worst part is subbing on two players exclusively to take the penalties. 

It's a very hard place to be in because you're barely warm and don't really have that feel for the match that comes with the minutes you play. 

Not to mention the fact Henderson was one of the players subbed off. Captain at his club and has tons of experience.

Archived