talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FINAL - Italy (p) 1-1 England - Sunday 11th July, 2021

football forum

Taking a penalty in a final is more about confidence and maturity than ability. Sure some players will have a better shot than others, but I don't believe scoring 100 out of 100 penalties in training means a whole lot.

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Danny said:

Southgate’s taken us to a final when we thought we’d not make it past the round of 16 and you lot are moaning about penalty takers. Clearly something that they’ve worked out in advance and the one thing that didn’t come off for us this tournament.

Exactly how I feel. This is the furthest I've seen England get in a tournament in my life so far and depending on what happens with this squad over the next few years it could be a long time til we see a run like this again, let's celebrate a team that took us to a place many England fans have long thought impossible. 

Given how regimented everything is in this England side, those players will almost certainly chosen to take the pens based on training/analysis. 

Talking point will be having 3 young’s subs take penalties for England. Saka, Sancho, and Rashford all missed.

Regardless, when this tournament started it was France and Belgium’s to lose. England weren’t really in that conversation but they played great and made it to the final. 

Same can be said for Italy, who went from missing the last WC to winning the Euros. I have always loved Mancini and I’m happy he’s taken over for Italy, and his team played so well all tournament and surprised people much like England.

two best teams played in the final, and the better team won.

but England should be proud. They are a serious contender for major football tournament.

• Subscriber

I don't think anyone doubts Henderson's leadership skills but I do doubt his penalty taking ability. He missed one a few weeks back and he was the only one to miss in the Colombia shootout at the World Cup.

Rashford and Sancho I believe were a mistake. Huge occasion, great players, but the rest of them have had 120 minutes out there to find their feet whereas they've come on and not had a touch of the ball to settle themselves. Walker, Shaw, Phillips, Sterling, Stones I'd have fancied to score. Saka is a weird one. He's had a very good tournament but he looked a bit overwhelmed tonight. That said, hindsight is a fine thing and I was absolutely convinced Rashford would score if he stepped up. The manager has to trust the players gut feeling when choosing his penalty takers. Those two lads off the bench have played a fringe role and probably wanted to come on and score a penalty so badly they've convinced themselves they will.

It's a young team and they'll learn. Such a shame though after they've done so much right between them to lose in that fashion but that's football and that's penalties.

5 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Jordan Henderson missed his last penalty, for England for fucks sake. Club loyalty really is a fucking parasite isn't it. Quite rightly wasn't anywhere near the shootout.

all the italian players that stepped up missed penalties this season

Just now, MUFC said:

Unlucky England, nearly but not quite. I felt Southgate was a bit negative in his approach. Either way, no shame in losing to the best side in the competition. On a side not over the course of the semi final and the final. Kane and Sterling performed some of the most blatant cheating and diving I've seen in recent years. It was literally non-stop over 2 games. 

It was almost like watching the England Rugby Union side at times.

Winning a throw in or free kick rather than a line out.

I think Kane & Sterling are like that generally.

Grealish certainly is.

8 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Well fuck. I'll probably type more tomorrow but well done to Italy who have been excellent for most of the tournament.

Still more proud than gutted. And a big shout out to Jordan Pickford who has had a great tournament for the most part and vitally kept the tedious T-Rex arms meme brigade quiet for the whole tournament. They might even have to think of a new joke three years down the line.

Yeah.. a semi final in 2018. A final in 2020/21.

And we want another star really anyway.

We feel a bit silly when some have 4 or 5.

Qatar 2022 & Germany 2024 should be seen as chances to do similar. Perhaps more.

There's France. With Mbappe. We may not be lucky enough to avoid them.

But Mbappe seemed dodgy on penalties.

Either way now we can all enjoy videos of drunk England fans doing stupid shit because they've lost instead of drunk English fans doing stupid shit because they've won. 

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Jordan Henderson missed his last penalty, for England for fucks sake. Club loyalty really is a fucking parasite isn't it. Quite rightly wasn't anywhere near the shootout.

He was truly abysmal all game too. Genuine 0/10 performance along with Saka. Subs did not work at all 

Just now, Tommy said:

Either way now we can all enjoy videos of drunk England fans doing stupid shit because they've lost instead of drunk English fans doing stupid shit because they've won. 

Beating up Italians because they lost, instead of harassing Italians because they won.

I’m willing to wager everything I own that if Henderson and Walker stepped up and missed, people will be calling for Southgate’s head for not putting goal scorers in Rashford or Sancho. 

Just now, Whiskey said:

Wasn't my point though was it.

For fucks sake mate, you made two points.

1. He shouldn't take one because he missed the last
  2. People only want him to take one because they are Liverpool fans

1 minute ago, DeadLinesman said:

Probably better than being in Italy and getting stabbed I suppose.

No no that's not how it works. England are badly behaved remember, that's why the Europeans don't like us.

2 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

No no that's not how it works. England are badly behaved remember, that's why the Europeans don't like us.

*vomits and shits pants on a beach in shagaluf* :ph34r:

Archived