talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FINAL - Italy (p) 1-1 England - Sunday 11th July, 2021

football forum

2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Can I have a blutwurst too?

Blutwurst is mostly called "Flönz" here. Never even tried it. Although there's a traditional dish here called "Himmel und Äd" which means "Sky and Earth" which contains Blutwurst and mashed potatoes. 

the more you know. 

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Blutwurst is mostly called "Flönz" here. Never even tried it. Although there's a traditional dish here called "Himmel und Äd" which means "Sky and Earth" which contains Blutwurst and mashed potatoes. 

the more you know. 

Blutwurst is vile.

I don't rate Southgate very much, but to be fair he has got most thing spot on this tournament, but I do think he bottled it going to a 3 at the back formation today. Especially using Mount as one of our 3 attackers, he just doesn't offer enough creatively for me and when you consider what he had on the bench it's a headscratcher. Italy's fullbacks were so average both completely exposed for the goal, but we didn't attack them nearly enough. The way we dug in defensively for so long was tough to watch and you could see the equaliser coming. 

It's a shame as this was as good a chance of winning a tournament as we ever will have probably. Home advantage plus we had easily one of the 3 or 4 best squads in the tournament. The next World Cup being so close should be a good thing, I just don't know if Southgate will ever be that man. 

Don't feel bad funnily enough. We've had an absolute belter of a time two tournaments in a row. Real joy. Great scenes. Great journey. Great memories. 

I think the problem next is it is largely relative, don't know whether we can or will have a great time again soon as we'll need to do more. That means more exciting team and more latter stages.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Ah boo, Blutwurst is great. Boudin is even better.

My father loves it... I normally eat all kind of stuff, but Blutwurst is one of the few things I just can't stomach :4_joy:

8 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

I don't rate Southgate very much, but to be fair he has got most thing spot on this tournament, but I do think he bottled it going to a 3 at the back formation today. Especially using Mount as one of our 3 attackers, he just doesn't offer enough creatively for me and when you consider what he had on the bench it's a headscratcher. Italy's fullbacks were so average both completely exposed for the goal, but we didn't attack them nearly enough. The way we dug in defensively for so long was tough to watch and you could see the equaliser coming. 

It's a shame as this was as good a chance of winning a tournament as we ever will have probably. Home advantage plus we had easily one of the 3 or 4 best squads in the tournament. The next World Cup being so close should be a good thing, I just don't know if Southgate will ever be that man. 

Considering England were at home most of their games. I dont really think they were outstanding at all, the group games were pretty average and hard to watch. German result was good though but again performance wise wasnt good same with Denmark.  The only game England had freedom was away from home agaisnt Ukraine even though Ukraine were dead on their feet after 30 minutes, England took them apart.   

• Subscriber

They were the better team throughout the tournament and for the majority of the game tonight. A sickening way to lose, but Italy fully deserved it. I've no qualms about them taking it home. They're deserved winners and the tournament deserved a worthy one.

A good tournament for England but an eerie similarity to Russia where you'll forever just wonder what if. We've taken steps forward, but we're not the finished article.

What a shame.

I’m sure it’s been mentioned but Southgate’s subs didn’t work out at all today. Grealish was alright, and although I was surprised that Henderson came on, I was more surprised he wasn’t kept on to take a pen!

My England analysis.. as I'm not sleeping for a few hours yet..

The consistent selection of Mount was the puzzling bit of the tournament.

Presumably Southgate seems him as good defensively.

But would it really have been too risky to go 4-3-3? Matching Italy? With Sancho or Grealish rather than Trippier?

I did fear it could go wrong at some stage.. because of the don't lose approach. And it sort of did, right at the last. And I'd lay that at Southgate more than the penalties. We didn't seem to really change to that properly when the changes came. Saka doesn't have anything like the momentum of Sancho or Grealish as a wide attacker. Yet he was on the pitch before them. And I do wonder how much of that is because Saka has played full back. And we can't risk losing / winning. Henderson on for Rice, who looked like he'd have done a Maguire if required. I was finding it difficult to tell Rice & Maguire apart during the game with their shimmy's & dribbles.

Could we not have been able to hit on the counter attack better with a proper front 3, used to doing so?
Had more outlet balls in the 2nd half? When under pressure?

And still would have had Rashford & whichever of Sancho or Grealish didn't start on the bench? Foden if fit.

I do hope the lesson Southgate sees himself & learns from, is that we were in the mix in this tournament. It wasn't a lucky draw. We did deserve to be there. That final spot wasn't gifted to us. We earned it by getting past a decent Croatia side. A decent Germany team. A determined but perhaps spent Ukraine side. And an inspired Danish side determined to repeat 1992. And we did take it to Italy at times, who were worried & stepped it up when they had to.

And as for the young England lads who didn't score in the shoot-out. Mbappe is the only guy they need to look at & think about. Not the people who may blame them. Or tell them we had a free pass to that final.

Italy deserved it on the night, played with more mentality from the start of the second half and as soon as they scored, I prepared myself for the worst, and looking back you probably have to admit there was only one winner even if it came about on penalties. We started the second half like we were playing the final 10 minutes of the game and failed to get out of that mindset until well into extra time.

Hard to take.

England was just too happy to get the goal and sit back the rest of the match.

Italy was struggling in the first 30 minutes and if England had kept pushing forward, I think they would have got a second one.

Bonucci was immense and, despite Donnarumma being decisive in the final, I think Bonucci was the best player this tournament.

@Carnivore Chris to answer your question, I'm just not that much into football anymore. Sure, I still enjoy watching the Euros and World Cups (these will always be special tournaments), but club football just isn't the same anymore. And by taking a step back from it, you can give a more objective analysis of what's happening, without your emotions getting in the way of your judgment.

Archived