talkfootball365

FINAL - Italy (p) 1-1 England - Sunday 11th July, 2021

7 minutes ago, internationalsfan said:

I don't think it would dilute the prestige of international tournaments. The nation's league hasn't really damped the prestige of the Euros or World Cup as everyone thought it might. 

I'd prefer to see a World Cup every two years, and a Euros in the off year, only having two or three chances to win a world cup in your entire career, when many sports have yearly world championships seems harsh. 

I don't drink thankfully, so no hangover to worry about.

I do think a World Cup every 2 years would make sense.

I guess regional confederations would want to work out some way to maintain regional competitions of some format.

But the current every 4 year thing dates back to the 1930's. And for us, the Euro's was added to as the alternate cycle from 1960.

I would agree a 21st century model, with so much commercial appetite for the sport, a World Cup every 2 years would seem like a good move.

Just now, Stan said:

WC would become so saturated if it was every 2 years. 

FIFA  already seem keen to saturate it with the move to 48 teams and a nonsensical 3 Team Groups format, I'd much rather they just admitted they only want more cash and went to 32 teams every two years rather than ruin the entire tournament to make more money. 

20 minutes ago, montybhopa said:

I think Champions League should be once in 4 years

Think about this really hard. And how it wouldn’t work……..

“Sorry lads, I know you’re champions but the competition was last year. Tough titties”.

I think Southgate´s biggest mistake was not the selection of penalty takers, but giving Italy the ball after scoring the goal. 

Funny how football works sometimes, because I think the Shaw goal actually turned the scenario of the match to something much more favorable to Italy. They were having a really tough defensively early on, especially on that Emerson side. But after it, England stopped putting pressure on their defence.

That lead was a sort of a mental trap to England, in the sense that holding it became their sole objective on the match. 

Having sais that, it´s a tough defeat for sure, but the future still looks bright for England. France also lost an Euro final at home and then two years later came back stronger to win the World Cup. 

Edited by El Profesor

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

After an absolute shitbag of a year battling a disease that has crippled the world, what a fantastic four/five weeks that was in bringing everyone together.

Talk about uniting a country that was on it's knees start of the year in lockdown and compare those times to what's happened the past few weeks.

It was an incredible ride, one we never truly expected and we all got to share those moments with the people we love around us.

These Euro's were all anyone was really talking about anywhere you went here, and in all the tournaments I've seen from us, I've never seen an England squad as together and united as what we displayed. What a great spirit we've shown, you could never accuse these guys of not caring.

We literally went inches away from winning the whole bloody thing. Bad luck. Maybe we could have done some things differently. We were not the most exciting team in the tournament, but we did it our way and we nearly won it that way. I never in a million years thought we'd get that close and I was massively proved wrong.

I'm gutted like a lot of us, it could so easily have gone our way. But it just wasn't meant to be, best team won.

Don't let the English Media ruin the positivity. Ignore the idiots that tried to tarnish the occasion for some. Let's just reflect on what was a brilliant Euro's, and chill before we all go back to hating one another's clubs xD

We're at the beginning of the cycle with this England squad. I think it will peak at Euro 2024. Plenty to be optimistic about. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

I’d like it to peak around 2026.

Really hope Greenwood does the business for you lot cos we need another out and our goal scorer with Kane

1 hour ago, montybhopa said:

If Chiesa did not get injured, Italy would have won in the normal time.

You aren't getting off that easily. 

How do you propose a 4 year CL work? 

giphy.gif

United players playing for England a jinx?

1998 World Cup - Beckham gets sent off.

Euro 2000 - Phil Neville gives a penalty away near the end of the game.

World Cup 2002 - Rivaldo equalizes but the move started because Beckham jumped out of a tackle, the Ronaldhino goal via a free kick was from a stupid tackle from Scholes.

World Cup 2006 - Rooney gets a red card.

Euro 2020 - Sancho and Rashford miss penalties. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, montybhopa said:

I see he’s been called out somewhat on his Hillsborough shouts in those tweets. They’re not really comparable, bar too many people being in one area, though it’s quite a link to tie the two together, especially when you consider the differences between Hillsborough and Wembley, like Hillsborough being fans actively encouraged and welcomed into the stadium, where Wembley wasn’t that and people forced their way in. 

That said, the whole England culture, I’ll call it that, we’ve seen grow over the past few tournaments, the chucking of pints and bottles that’s completely purposely done and not natural, the congregating and anti social behaviour and general anti social behaviour, that needs addressing as does the societal issue we have with racism in this country that go way behind football supporters. 

Anyway, it’s sad there’s a lot of this side of things being discussed and it’s not all the analysis of the tournament and the final. 

Edited by Smiley Culture

16 minutes ago, MUFC said:

World Cup 2002 - Rivaldo equalizes but the move started because Beckham jumped out of a tackle, the Ronaldhino goal via a free kick was from a stupid tackle from Scholes.

To be fair England flopped even before Man Utd were famous :ph34r:

• Wow 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Ban Man Utd.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, El Profesor said:

I think Southgate´s biggest mistake was not the selection of penalty takers, but giving Italy the ball after scoring the goal. 

One can say it's still a tactical failure, but it wasn't intentional to give the ball away, if we're to believe his words in the post-match.

I agree that scoring early wasn't good for England. The possession and chances created would probably have been more even if no one scored until later in the game.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Masterclass from Southgate, creating dummy accounts to racially abuse his own players in order to deflect attention from the defeat.

Government latching onto it as well despite previously saying it's fine to boo players taking the knee, presumably to distract attention from the woeful policing operation in London and particularly Wembley last night. It seems like both the police, government and FA have all planned for a final without England in it. Imagine CMS is absolutely screaming down the phone at Home Office and FA for that shitshow given it probably cost us the 2030 World Cup bid that Boris was desperate to get. 

Edited by internationalsfan
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

That said, the whole England culture, I’ll call it that, we’ve seen grow over the past few tournaments, the chucking of pints and bottles that’s completely purposely done and not natural, the congregating and anti social behaviour and general anti social behaviour, that needs addressing as does the societal issue we have with racism in this country that go way behind football supporters. 

It really has become an epidemic this. The pub I was watching at there were lads there trying to get the Southgate You're the One chants going which is fine but they're not even watching the game, they just want to feel like they're the don of the room leading the chants and then film themselves getting beer poured over their heads so they can stick it on Instagram and show what mad lads they are.

The majority of that behaviour is not born out of genuine passion and excitement, it's mostly idiots so pissed they don't even know what the score is or attention seekers with proper small dick energy who have gone out with the primary or sole intention of getting people to look at them being cunts because that's how they get their kicks.

Most people who actually care about the football and genuinely support England act like normal human beings. On the occasion you do get genuine football fans properly losing it like the ones in the actual stadium though it's still pretty special. The beer chucking thing and yobbish fanzone behaviour has become very pathetic and cringeworthy though.

• Upvote 2

All these fucking politicians criticising the players are an absolute joke, tbh.

The England players fought harder for the country than these politicians have ever done in their careers. And that's with Tory cunts like Priti Patel fanning the flames of racism around our players.