talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Smoking

football forum

• Subscriber

I cut down smoking to around 5-10 a day at the beginning of last year (2017) then come December of last year I was rushed to hospital with a collapsed left lung, I was two weeks in the hospital and had a minor operation on the lung then discharged from the hospital and I have never smoked since, and come Dec 8th this year that will be one year off of cigarettes, the wife stopped 2 years ago. 

The amount of money saved in a year since I stopped was incredible as a packet of cheap 20 cigs cost me £7.35 last year but I see in shops cigarettes can cost now as much as £10/11 for a top brand, I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke now it's makes me cough something stupid.      

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, CaaC - John said:

I cut down smoking to around 5-10 a day at the beginning of last year (2017) then come December of last year I was rushed to hospital with a collapsed left lung, I was two weeks in the hospital and had a minor operation on the lung then discharged from the hospital and I have never smoked since, and come Dec 8th this year that will be one year off of cigarettes, the wife stopped 2 years ago. 

The amount of money saved in a year since I stopped was incredible as a packet of cheap 20 cigs cost me £7.35 last year but I see in shops cigarettes can cost now as much as £10/11 for a top brand, I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke now it's makes me cough something stupid.      

Congratulations on being nearly a year smoke-free. 

Not wholly directed at you but it can be a shame that it takes a serious illness or injury to encourage or be the catalyst for people to stop smoking.

• Subscriber

I initially gave up cold turkey without any social smoking or anything exactly a year and three days ago. I did have a smoke on my birthday night out though when I got too drunk so I need to make it to January 20th to be a full year smoke free but I can at least say now I've only had one cigarette in the last 12 months. Too bad it was a menthol, not even worth it.

• Administrator
40 minutes ago, Danny said:

Never smoked, have asthma so it'd be a pretty dumb thing to do.

Smells bad, tastes bad, kills, etc etc.

Hate when you have to sit next to a smoker, like mate you smell like your BO was just incinerated sit somewhere else

That's one of the worst because it's actually quite inconsiderate when someone doesn't try and disguise or cover that smell. 

There was this one woman who we used to work with and she'd take the piss with smoking breaks (which pissed me off in its own right). She must have smoked a couple within 15 minutes and come back in stinking the place out. You wouldn't even have to sit next to her; you could sit quite a few desks away and still get strong whiffs of her and her cigarettes.

3 hours ago, Stan said:

That's one of the worst because it's actually quite inconsiderate when someone doesn't try and disguise or cover that smell. 

There was this one woman who we used to work with and she'd take the piss with smoking breaks (which pissed me off in its own right). She must have smoked a couple within 15 minutes and come back in stinking the place out. You wouldn't even have to sit next to her; you could sit quite a few desks away and still get strong whiffs of her and her cigarettes.

Smokers always take the piss with breaks, always on a "quick 5 mins" that lasts about 15 and they'll have about 4 of those before lunch 😂

13 hours ago, Danny said:

Smokers always take the piss with breaks, always on a "quick 5 mins" that lasts about 15 and they'll have about 4 of those before lunch 😂

When I quit smoking, I decided that if smokers can take smoke breaks then non-smokers can take smoke breaks. So if I want a break for a bit I’ll hop outside for a few minutes. I don’t know if I’d get away with that at every job... but I’ve pulled it off here.

• Administrator
19 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

When I quit smoking, I decided that if smokers can take smoke breaks then non-smokers can take smoke breaks. So if I want a break for a bit I’ll hop outside for a few minutes. I don’t know if I’d get away with that at every job... but I’ve pulled it off here.

They probably think you've gone for a fag xD

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 05/06/2017 at 18:32, Stan said:

hate it. Can't stand the smell. Can't stand the dangers of it. Can't stand it when people smoke in front of your face and have no care or respect that you may not like it yet they still blow it in your face.

One of the worst things I see is parents smoking in front of their children. Don't think they realise the effects of passive smoking and the risks it has to other people, let alone their own children. Despicable that there's people out there smoking 30-40 a day without realising how dangerous it is for themselves and others.

I have friends that smoke but thankfully they're polite enough not to smoke around others who don't like it.

I hate it when I see parents doing that. Will hopefully be illegal to smoke in front of kids soon

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Just looked at a Quit Tracker our son put on my mobile so I can check on my Quit Smoking record, so far I am on Day 404 since I stopped smoking, I have increased my life expectancy by 22.1%, Smoke-Free reads 403d 19h 3m and I have saved out £5,451.23 when I quit smoking, the cheapest packet of cigs then if I remember right was £7.35 for 20, now the cheapest packet of 20 so I have been told is £8.00 odds!!    

On 06/11/2018 at 23:13, Dr. Gonzo said:

My workplace encourages that anyway. Not sure if everyone else's workplace has gone wellbeing mad in recent years but my work encourage getting up from my desk to the water cooler every hour and even give all employees an allowance of 500$ to pay for a gym membership or yoga lessons...

Edited by Harry
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Your workplace give you money to exercise? I'd be much more inclined to get out and lose some weight if that was the case. Personally I've never smoked and never intend on doing but naturally know a lot of people who do smoke and the smell is just vile and makes me feel so sick. Luckily with the introduction of e-cigs, the smell isn't as bad.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pyfish said:

Your workplace give you money to exercise? I'd be much more inclined to get out and lose some weight if that was the case. Personally I've never smoked and never intend on doing but naturally know a lot of people who do smoke and the smell is just vile and makes me feel so sick. Luckily with the introduction of e-cigs, the smell isn't as bad.

Second hand cigarette smoke just used to be an accepted part of life ten years ago. These days it makes everyone feel sick and outraged to think they need to be subjected to someone else's smoke.

On one hand it's a great sign of progress with us stamping it something relatively unpleasant. On the other hand it's a subject for the snow flake thread as people just seem to have more and more thin skin than they ever did before.

• Subscriber

I seem to be in the minority that doesn't mind it haha. I quit smoking myself almost 5 years ago (bar an occasional cigarillo every once in a while) but I don't mind if others around me smoke to be fair... You can still smoke indoors in bars and cafes here (well technically it's already against the law here as well but nobody gives a fuck), and maybe that sounds weird to many, but when I go out I actually prefer that over a non-smoking establishment. Just part of the ambience for me.

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

I seem to be in the minority that doesn't mind it haha. I quit smoking myself almost 5 years ago (bar an occasional cigarillo every once in a while) but I don't mind if others around me smoke to be fair... You can still smoke indoors in bars and cafes here (well technically it's already against the law here as well but nobody gives a fuck), and maybe that sounds weird to many, but when I go out I actually prefer that over a non-smoking establishment. Just part of the ambience for me.

I have no problem with second hand smoke either and that's coming from an asthmatic. 

That said in a public area with children present it would annoy me slightly.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Harry said:

I have no problem with second hand smoke either and that's coming from an asthmatic. 

That said in a public area with children present it would annoy me slightly.

Oh for sure that's a different thing altogether... I am talking just about bars and pubs and the likes with no children present...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

My 'Quit Tracker' our son put on my mobiles says that I am on day 420 smoke-free, money saved is £5,657,09, I have gained 96 days of life and have not smoked 12,571.3 lung busters, thank fuck he never put a drink thing on my mobile and a diet one as I still like my wine and have jumped from a nice 11 stone to a fat slobby 13 and 1/2 stone and my grandson said I will end up looking like...

Jabba the Hut

StarWars.jpg

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber

Just checked my smoke 'Quit Tracker' and if I had stopped smoking when I retired 4 years 9 months ago I would have had 182.942 hours saved on my life and at an average cost of a cheap packet of lung busters (£7.35 if I remember right) I would have been £22,954.2 richer  :shutup: :dam:

• Subscriber
On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 14:10, nudge said:

Na, you're a weirdo. Smoke smell is vile, especially when it gets in your clothes/hair, just a completely unsavoury experience.

• Subscriber

The smell of smoke nowadays since I quit makes me cough and I feel sick, it's nice now to have a smoke free house for our grandsons when they visit as they didn't like the smell of smoke and they knew if I had been smoking although the wife would remove ashtrays and spray air freshener before they called but they could still smell the tobacco on our clothes and hair.

We still have family members and friends that smoke and if they paid a visit we would not say no if they wanted a cigarette but ask them politely if they could smoke in the back room or do what our son & daughter did when they smoked, they would go into the kitchen and open the window and smoke away, lucky enough they have now stopped smoking.

On a nice note, it's lovely to be standing to wait for a bus or walking along and someone stops you and ask if you had a spare smoke on you and you say politely "Sorry buddy, I don't smoke". :D

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Storts said:

Na, you're a weirdo. Smoke smell is vile, especially when it gets in your clothes/hair, just a completely unsavoury experience.

Ha, it's a good thing I associate with other weirdos like me then :P Nah the smell of stale smoke lingering in my hair or clothes is definitely unpleasant the following day but it's nothing a shower and laundry wouldn't fix... Otherwise it doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's probably due to different upbringing and culture to be fair.

Also the smell of a good cigar mixed with the smell of freshly brewed coffee is simply heavenly. 

• Haha 1