talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Smoking

football forum

• Subscriber

Any smokers on here? Anyone a former smoker? Trying to quit? Social smoker? Cigar connoisseur?

I've been a social smoker pretty much since I turned 18 but that transitioned into becoming an actual smoker (about 5 a day) just over a year ago, not long after I moved into my own place. However, I've now made the decision to quit whilst probably still having a few fags on a night out - wish me luck!

Edited by RandoEFC

Hate smoking. Total fucking fix by the government to keep the poor as poor as possible. Older generations had the excuse of how cheap they were and how uninformed people were about the dangers. These days, no fucking excuse. Anyone wants to spend thousands a year to get emphysema and cancer is welcome to do so.

Much luck to anyone trying to quit.

• Subscriber

Started as a "social smoker" when I was 16 or 17, smoked half a pack a day for about 10 years (so not really a heavy smoker I'd say, mostly smoked when I was going out), last three years before quitting I only smoked at work as it was a way to cope with stress. Quit 3 years ago when I made a few other big changes in my life. Best decision ever. I still enjoy a  cigarillo or a good cigar along whisky sometimes,  but cigs are pretty much disgusting. 

Never even tried it. My mum's a pretty heavy smoker, my grandfather also used to be one and then needed a heart transplant, after which he quit, and my father's parents both died of cancer before I was born. So you could imagine that I fucking hate it. 

I don't get preachy to people, but some of my friends smoke, mostly just when they drink, and it bugs the life out of me. I'm around 2nd-hand smoke normally at home, so I can't complain from that perspective. From a personal health perspective, I don't keep perfectly healthy to say the least, so I guess I need to let them have their personal poison. 

Never smoked a cigarette, but I do enjoy a good cigar. Definitely not a "cigar connoisseur" but am becoming quite knowledgable about it all. Probably smoke one once a fortnight, although they're smoked the Bill Clinton way [not inhaled].

• Administrator

hate it. Can't stand the smell. Can't stand the dangers of it. Can't stand it when people smoke in front of your face and have no care or respect that you may not like it yet they still blow it in your face.

One of the worst things I see is parents smoking in front of their children. Don't think they realise the effects of passive smoking and the risks it has to other people, let alone their own children. Despicable that there's people out there smoking 30-40 a day without realising how dangerous it is for themselves and others.

I have friends that smoke but thankfully they're polite enough not to smoke around others who don't like it.

• Subscriber

Passive smoking and smoking in confined spaces is actually even worse than puffing on a fag as the smoke that comes out of the end is unfiltered if you breathe that in. Pretty shitty all round.

I know a lot of people are turning to vaping but last time I checked the line was that there was "a good chance" it's healthier for you than smoking tobacco. Not sure about anyone else but if something only has "a good chance" of being better than cigarettes I'm not sure I'll be hopping on that gravy train xD.

Smoked fags & weed from age 14, jacked in the weed around 24, jacked in the fags getting on for 4 years now I think. I used the vapes for 9 months and weened myself down from 20 a day habit to 0, don't even crave when drinking fags are like burnt cotton. 

I smoke about 5 Cubans a year mainly on special occasions or that odd night in the summer after a BBQ with a drink and some genuine peace & quiet.

Cohiba, Hoya de Monterey & RJ's are my preference 

11 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I smoke about 5 Cubans a year mainly on special occasions or that odd night in the summer after a BBQ with a drink and some genuine peace & quiet.

Cohiba, Hoya de Monterey & RJ's are my preference 

Seems we are similar in taste. I'd add H. Upmann, Montecristo and Partagas to that list. Trying more 'New World' ones lately.

On 04/06/2017 at 0:50 PM, Tanksie said:

Hate smoking. Total fucking fix by the government to keep the poor as poor as possible. Older generations had the excuse of how cheap they were and how uninformed people were about the dangers. These days, no fucking excuse. Anyone wants to spend thousands a year to get emphysema and cancer is welcome to do so.

Much luck to anyone trying to quit.

I think that is actually a bit of a myth. My dad is 60 and started smoking when he was 11 and stopped in 2009 but we think he has a sligh one sometimes.  He said that people were quite aware smoking was bad for you when he was younger. Not like today but they still new it was bad for you.