talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Smoking

football forum

3 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

3 years coming up around December I quit smoking, not bad for an old bastard like me and to think a collapsed lung and 2 weeks in a hospital made me quit, no patches gums or whatnot just the thought that I want to live a good old age and see our grandsons grow into teenagers and maybe see the day when they have kiddies and me and the wife becomes a great granddad and great grannie.

Ciggarette.thumb.jpg.a25c2588a531f4821a8bca6a56c35c70.jpg

Well done on giving up for so long. I would love to quit. I have tried several times but always start again.

1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

3 years coming up around December I quit smoking, not bad for an old bastard like me and to think a collapsed lung and 2 weeks in a hospital made me quit, no patches gums or whatnot just the thought that I want to live a good old age and see our grandsons grow into teenagers and maybe see the day when they have kiddies and me and the wife becomes a great granddad and great grannie.

Well first of all congratulations mate.. great effort to have kept that up... :congrats:

Secondly what are you going to do with that 14K you saved??? @Dr. Gonzo needs a loan xD

• Haha 3

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

Well done mate. Those stats are crazy.

I have the odd one from time to time as i enjoy one with a beer once every blue moon. Very stupid i know!

• 11 months later...
  • Subscriber
On 04/06/2017 at 01:52, RandoEFC said:

Any smokers on here? Anyone a former smoker? Trying to quit? Social smoker? Cigar connoisseur?

I've been a social smoker pretty much since I turned 18 but that transitioned into becoming an actual smoker (about 5 a day) just over a year ago, not long after I moved into my own place. However, I've now made the decision to quit whilst probably still having a few fags on a night out - wish me luck!

Have you managed to stay off the cigs?

• Subscriber

4 years coming up in December, I still have the odd dreams about buying them or puffing away on one but that's about it, can't stand the smell of tobacco now and if anyone smokes near me I get short of breath and start coughing, the cheapest brand nowadays for a pack of 20 is £9.73.

Forget hypnosis, patches etc, willpower is the key, I know I suffered a collapsed lung in which I spent 2 weeks in hospital and had an operation was one of the reasons I stopped but I had cut down on them anyway.

I just kept thinking to myself I have 3 young grandsons and I (and the wife) want to see them get married in years to come and become a great, great, granddaddy, a long shot but it worked.

download.png

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

• Subscriber
57 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

4 years coming up in December, I still have the odd dreams about buying them or puffing away on one but that's about it, can't stand the smell of tobacco now and if anyone smokes near me I get short of breath and start coughing, the cheapest brand nowadays for a pack of 20 is £9.73.

Forget hypnosis, patches etc, willpower is the key, I know I suffered a collapsed lung in which I spent 2 weeks in hospital and had an operation was one of the reasons I stopped but I had cut down on them anyway.

I just kept thinking to myself I have 3 young grandsons and I (and the wife) want to see them get married in years to come and become a great, great, granddaddy, a long shot but it worked.

download.png

You've earned a donner kebab.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

This. I was a big smoker from about 14. Met my Mrs at 19 and she hated smoking. I stopped. Cold Turkey. I wanted her more than the cigs and it was non negotiable for her. 

I smoked since I was 16, quit cold turkey at 29 (I always planned to stop before I turned 30). If you don't really want to quit, every attempt will fail. If you're serious about it, it's not that fucking hard.

4 hours ago, nudge said:

I smoked since I was 16, quit cold turkey at 29 (I always planned to stop before I turned 30). If you don't really want to quit, every attempt will fail. If you're serious about it, it's not that fucking hard.

Imo it’s harder to get off cigarettes than it is to get off cocaine

• Subscriber
43 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Imo it’s harder to get off cigarettes than it is to get off cocaine

I wouldn't know that, never did cocaine xD

But I really don't think it's hard to get off cigarettes at all... I know a lot of people who did, but then again, each of them had a serious reason or a strong wish to quit. 

Would you say that you have an "addictive personality" in general? 

13 minutes ago, nudge said:

I wouldn't know that, never did cocaine xD

But I really don't think it's hard to get off cigarettes at all... I know a lot of people who did, but then again, each of them had a serious reason or a strong wish to quit. 

Would you say that you have an "addictive personality" in general? 

Yeah absolutely. Cigarettes kind of became a crutch when I quit doing hard drugs 

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, Khan of TF365 said:

Which cigarettes you smoke if any? my dad is a chain smoker and john player gold leaf.

When I smoked, Camel was always my first choice. If not, then either Parliament or Rothmans.