The better place to talk football.

2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup FINAL: USA 1-0 Mexico

football forum

• The topic was pinned
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Probably the best international tournament that will be played this summer. Should get more coverage.

USA should stroll this really. 

Backing Jamaica as they have Liam Moore. Looking at their squad they've got a lot of British-based players too. 

Leon Bailey & Alphonso Davies the big stars of the tournament no doubt.

Also great to see Qatar there. They really do meet the Central American criteria.

14 minutes ago, internationalsfan said:

I heard Costa Rica are quite good tbh, managed to come first in a group containing the two best sides in Europe a few years back. 

8 years ago. 

They aren't bad, but have nothing on the big two teams. 

1 minute ago, Eco said:

8 years ago. 

They aren't bad, but have nothing on the big two teams. 

Honestly don't understand why Concacaf and Conmenbol don't just run a joint cup, it could honestly be as big as the Euros. 

Between the 10 members of Conmenbol and 41 members of Concacaf, that's 51 members, UEFA has 55. With 24 teams, you'd be able to ensure most of the big countries made it, whilst still given enough space for smaller nations. 

I get the South Americans have a bit of a cultural attachment to Copa America, but it increasingly becomes a joke with the need to invite other countries to make up numbers and the small number of teams. 

Just now, internationalsfan said:

Honestly don't understand why Concacaf and Conmenbol don't just run a joint cup, it could honestly be as big as the Euros. 

Between the 10 members of Conmenbol and 41 members of Concacaf, that's 51 members, UEFA has 55. With 24 teams, you'd be able to ensure most of the big countries made it, whilst still given enough space for smaller nations. 

I get the South Americans have a bit of a cultural attachment to Copa America, but it increasingly becomes a joke with the need to invite other countries to make up numbers and the small number of teams. 

I'd have no issue with merging the two, but some teams obviously might have an issue with it as you'd be adding other more 'bigger' teams to an already hard tournament. 

I do hate the bit about inviting teams into it, and the fact that Qatar are in the Gold Cup makes me hope they get crushed early and often. 

I'm still a little surprised Haiti are playing after the assassination of their president just days ago. Different topic, but just another storyline heading into this edition of the Gold Cup. 

1 hour ago, Eco said:

I'd have no issue with merging the two, but some teams obviously might have an issue with it as you'd be adding other more 'bigger' teams to an already hard tournament. 

I do hate the bit about inviting teams into it, and the fact that Qatar are in the Gold Cup makes me hope they get crushed early and often. 

I'm still a little surprised Haiti are playing after the assassination of their president just days ago. Different topic, but just another storyline heading into this edition of the Gold Cup. 

Surely it would give the teams who qualify for the world cup, which is the only reason anyone plays international football, a better grounding going into it. If the likes of Trinidad and Tobago play Argentina regularly they might be less likely to get trounced by England. 

2 hours ago, internationalsfan said:

Surely it would give the teams who qualify for the world cup, which is the only reason anyone plays international football, a better grounding going into it. If the likes of Trinidad and Tobago play Argentina regularly they might be less likely to get trounced by England. 

Probably not, since T&T doesn't have the football infrastructure that England has with football. But I get your point. 

Yeah - again, I'd be all for it. 

Seriously, Mexico has the worst fans in the sport. Already the second stoppage because of fans. Their fans have done chants which are homophobic, thrown things, and continue act like a bunch of ignorant bullies. 

Concacaf and FIFA should seriously drop the hammer on them. It’s getting absurd.

Wow - what a performance from T&T! They were getting pounded all game but didn’t give up the goal and open up the Gold Cup with a 0-0 draw…and in classless Mexico form, they continue to do their stupid damn chant. 

Ignorant bastards.

Mexico 0-0 T&T FT

Haiti just misses on their second good chance thus far. 

This is like USA 3 squad, so I have changed my expectations, but we need to be better and get another on the board. 

17 minutes ago, internationalsfan said:

Rain delay. Seriously since when did football matches get delayed due to rain?

00:00 Qatar v Panama (Delayed)

02:00 Honduras v Grenada

I remember when I went to America it can rain very hard. I suspect it was very heavy rain 

• The title was changed to 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup FINAL: USA 1-0 Mexico
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived