talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Euro 2020 - Your Player of the Tournament

football forum

• Administrator

Who stands out for you?

Genuinely think Spinazzola would have been in with a shout if he didn't get his terrible injury.

Chiellini, Chiesa, Insigne? Shaw or Phillips stand out for me from the England side. 

Donnarumma for his clean sheets (although perhaps more the defence in front of him that helped) and penalty saves?

Just seen that officially it's been given to Donnarumma - do you agree?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure why Kane would be getting a shout, he was rather poor in most moments. 

Chiesa or Bonucci for me. But Donnarumma was so quality that it makes sense it was given to him. 

24 man team
Keepers. 
Pickford, Vaclik, Donnarumma 

Defenders. 
Shaw, McGuire, Walker, Spinazzola, Bonucci, Chiellini, Stones, Pepe, Christensen 

Midfield. 
Jorginho, Soucek, Pedri, Pogba, Wijnaldum, Rice, Forsberg

Attack
Yaramolenko, Schick, Ronaldo, Chiesa, Insigne

51 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Donnarumma lolz. So reactive to one game. At least 3 Italy players ahead of him and a couple of English lads as well.

My short list would be
Bonnucci, Shaw, Vaclik, Chiesa, Schick and Forsberg perhaps if Sweden had beaten Ukraine and put in a shift against England. 

Chiellini. The man has been one of the best defenders in the world for a long time and he showed all of that and all his experience and his leadership abilities in the tournament.

• Subscriber

This is genuinely hard as there wasn't one particularly outstanding player from Italy. It probably was Spinazzola, but he ended up missing their two biggest games. He'd be in my team of the tournament, but not the main one I don't think.

I'd possibly say Chiesa.

How can you not pick Donnarumma though?

He kept 3 clean sheets in the group stages. He made crucial saves v Austria in the last 16, v Belgium in the quarters and was big in the semi final v Spain when Italy were overrun.

To cap it all, he's saved two massive penalties when it counts, in the final.

He has contributed in every single game of the tournament.

Chiesa really exploded in the knockouts but he did nothing in the group stages. That is where Italy set the foundations. You can't ignore that.

People seem to want to be 'different' which I get but on this occasion, it's extremely warranted to see he's got Player of the Tournament.

The guy is so big, I think he's been generally intimidating to score past in the same way Buffon was. He's come out on top in two penalty shootouts after all.

Yes Bonucci and Chiellini have helped and had great tournaments, but come on, he's been just as instrumental in that. It's not like he's sat there with nothing to do. Let's not forget there were times they were on the ropes against Austria, Belgium especially, and Spain. Donnarumma was just as instrumental in keeping Italy in it.

They wouldn't have the same level of confidence without a top class keeper behind them and he's shown he's one of the best.

And there wasn't one mistake he made, not one. Keepers can make one error and its remembered all tournament, he didn't make one.

Archived