Euro 2020 - Team of the Tournament

football forum

• Administrator

Donnarumma/Pickford

Walker - Chiellini - Kjaer - Shaw

Phillips - Pedri

Chiesa - De Bruyne - Insigne

Schick/Ronaldo

Couldn't decide between the two strikers for that spot. Or the goal-keepers. Probably leaning towards Donnarumma given that he won the competition and made more saves in the final shootout, let alone being named the official player of the tournament, too.

What's yours?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Machado said:

Donnarumma

Meunier - Pepe - Bonucci - Spinazzola

Rice - Jorginho

Chiesa - Pogba - Pedri

Harry Kane

How does the Golden Boot winner NOT get into your Team of the Tournament? o.O

Donnarumma

Kjaer          Maguire      Chiellini

Trippier                                                 Shaw

K. Phillips       Jorginho

Chiesa                                              Sterling

Lukaku

Don't think anyone on the right really stood out, not many options there.

Just now, 6666 said:

Donnarumma

Kjaer          Maguire      Chiellini

Trippier                                                 Shaw

K. Phillips       Jorginho

Chiesa                                              Sterling

Lukaku

Don't think anyone on the right really stood out, not many options there.

I’d get rid of Kjaer for Pedri in midfield and that’s pretty much mine. 

Donnaruma

Maelhe

Bonucci 

Chielini

Walker

Pedri

Phillips

Sterling

Ferran Torres

Schick

I know people will think putting Ronaldo in was a bit of a shock but I think the fact he was the leading goal scorer from such a tough group edges it for me. 

Edit...

Completely forgot about Schick. @Devil-Dick Willie post below reminded me of him. 100% the best striker at the tournament. He replaces Ronaldo. 

3 pen Ronaldo can fuck off. 

-------------------------------Vaclik-------------------------------
Walker-----Bonnucci-----Chiellini--------------Shaw
--------------Jorginho---------Pedri---------------------------
Chiesa-----------------Forsberg------------------Insigne
----------------------------Schick----------------------------------

1. Rice very unlucky to miss out, as are Mahele, McGuire, Christensen, The don and Yaramolenko
2. People who had Philips over Rice, put your head in a microwave
3. People who have Sterling in their team, check your local for 5 G network and vaccines, as you have autism. He was up and down at best, a player who had some admittedly big moments between 80 minute spells of shite

On 12/07/2021 at 01:52, Eco said:

Harry Kane was poor, just one good game, agaisnt Italy 0 touches in the box and his off the ball play was dreadful in most games.

• Administrator

Uefa Team of the Tournament: Gianluigi Donnarumma (Italy); Kyle Walker (England), Leonardo Bonucci (Italy), Harry Maguire (England), Leonardo Spinazzola (Italy); Jorginho (Italy), Pierre-Emile Højbjerg (Denmark), Pedri (Spain); Federico Chiesa (Italy), Romelu Lukaku (Belgium), Raheem Sterling (England)

Donnarumma

Walker - Bonucci - Maguire - Spinazzola

Hojberg - Jorginho - Pedri

Chiesa - Lukaku - Sterling

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Spinazzola over Luke Shaw  xDxDxD

He got injured ffs, he didn’t die. 

I'm amazed they didn't include Eriksen out of goodwill. 

• Subscriber

Maguire was really good but so was Stones to be fair and he played the whole tournament. Think he's been overlooked a little bit in the discussion. I also think Kane shouldn't be in there. Apart from spells in the semi and the final, his general play offered little to the team and in terms of goalscoring, others scored more in fewer games like Ronaldo and Benzema, who I also think offered more to their sides. It depends though, there's a case for including him on the basis of his leadership of the second-placed team and his big goals against Germany and Denmark.

On 12/07/2021 at 01:52, Eco said:

He took 3 penalties.

I thought Ronaldo was extremely sub par in the majority of the games. Didn't even see him against Belgium and that's when Portugal actually dominated a game. 

No way does he get in the team of the tournament.

7 hours ago, Stan said:

Uefa Team of the Tournament: Gianluigi Donnarumma (Italy); Kyle Walker (England), Leonardo Bonucci (Italy), Harry Maguire (England), Leonardo Spinazzola (Italy); Jorginho (Italy), Pierre-Emile Højbjerg (Denmark), Pedri (Spain); Federico Chiesa (Italy), Romelu Lukaku (Belgium), Raheem Sterling (England)

Donnarumma

I actually don't think that's bad.

It's hard to leave out Chiellini... but it's also hard to leave out Stones. I do think Maguire and Bonucci were the best CBs in the tournament though. I'd swap out Spinazzola for Shaw though because I think Shaw was England's best player and the best left back in the tournament (Spinazzola was very good, before getting injured though).

Can't fault that midfield, tbh. Also tbh, I don't think Phillips and Rice were all that great tbh so I don't think they should really be in contention. They were important midfielders for England and our conservative setup, for sure... but best midfielders of the tournament? Not in my books.

I'd swap out Lukaku for Schick. Not that Lukaku was bad, but Schick was probably the best player for the Czech Republic by far and without him their tournament performance would have been a lot uglier. Sterling I think had lots of good and bad moments, but he ended up being the best England attacker by far. Chiesa was a star for Italy.

7 hours ago, Stan said:

Donnarumma

Glad they haven't included Ronaldo out of the 'oh we have too' bollocks. 

19 minutes ago, internationalsfan said:

I think it's because his playing style is far more entertaining to watch than Luke Shaw to be fair. 

Luke Shaw is stuck in Southgates system and still provided numerous chances as well as assists. Spinnazola was fantastic when he played, but he was injured in the quarters. I believe he missed a group game as well? Just reeks of tokenism. 

• Subscriber

Pretty fair team actually. I would tend to lean Shaw as well but Spinazzola was probably Italy's player of the tourne up unti the injury. Overall theres a few you could quibble with but kind of splitting hairs. 

I'm struggling to spot any clear & obvious errors in the Team.

Luke Shaw wasn't getting rave reviews, because we see him every week, we're conditioned to see him as a failure to Liverpool's Robertson & hear Jose Mourinho/Roy Keane type analysis of Man United defending. But he was good in the knock out games in particular. Marauding at times. He really did seem to raise his game. And that finish for his goal was one any left footed attacking player would have been proud of.

Sterling was immense at times. Just a pity he can be that good, keep several good quality players out of the side, but apparently need them to be there for penalties 3, 4 & 5. (rumour has it Pickford was lined up for the 6th..)

If Kasper Schmeichel was Italian, he'd have been the goalkeeper.

Probably only Maguire's goal & shimmy dribbles that get him ahead of ever present Stones.

Thought it seemed a bit odd how much the Three Lions song seemed to have been itching away at Bonucci on some deeply personal subconscious level. But I make no apologise that I'm glad Chiellini isn't there. He seems a twat rather than just a bit of aggro to be honest. And I do know Maguire, Stones, Rice or Phillips rugby tackles Chiesa in the same Saka type situation. But personally I also add the weird thing with Spain's captain to my feeling he seems a bit of an arse of an opponent. The ref's seemed to be thinking what I was.

Archived