talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Do South Americans Think 1966 World Cup Was Fixed?

So I've just come across this article. Is this just sour grapes from sore losers or do we reckon their could be a grain of truth in it somewhere? After all the Argentinian's being fixed tk win it in 1978 is widely entertained over here as plausible? 

Obviously the main claimant on this one is disgraced Jaoa Havelange, so pinch of salt on his personal claims but some of the things do seem a bit worrying. Especially as we now know the Germans were roided up as well

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jul/24/1966-world-cup-final-conspiracy-refereeing-50-years

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don´t know abut 1966, but 1978 was fixed. 

I mean, not the entire competition, because Netherlands really played to win it and Rosenbrink almost scored the winning-goal in the last minute. 

But that match against Peru was fixed IMO. Argentina needed a 4-goal difference to qualify for the final and they beat Peru 6-0. Peru was pretty decent back then, so...

Considering the military junta tortured dissidents only some meters away from the stadium Monumental de Núñez, while the most important World Cup matches were bening played there, fixing a match was nothing in comparison. 

A freaking joke. We got robbed so hard here. lol

32 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

I mean, not the entire competition, because Netherlands really played to win it and Rosenbrink almost scored the winning-goal in the last minute. 

But that match against Peru was fixed IMO. Argentina needed a 4-goal difference to qualify for the final and they beat Peru 6-0. Peru was pretty decent back then, so...

Considering the military junta tortured dissidents only some meters away from the stadium Monumental de Núñez, while the most important World Cup matches were bening played there, fixing a match was nothing in comparison. 

The Peruvian captain said the Argentine dressing room was disturbing noisy before the game, like the players couldn’t keep still... the implication being they were on amphetamines, or at least that is the anecdote I’ve heard from the grapevine

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Should Southgate be sacked? :35_thinking:  ..his football's shit, how good would England be under a top manager?

You'll have had top managers and not gotten very far. This guy got you to a final. 

5 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

You'll have had top managers and not gotten very far. This guy got you to a final. 

Like the CL with  Chelsea it's just pure luck England got to the final, look at his recent record and the garbage football he has us playing. Germany is the only decent team he's beaten

Panama-W
Tunisia-W
Belgium-L
Sweden-W
Columbia-D (W on pens)
Croatia-L
Belgium-L
Croatia-W
Scotland-D
Czech Republic-W
Germany-W
Ukraine-W
Denmark-D (W AET)

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Like the CL with  Chelsea it's just pure luck England got to the final, look at his recent record and the garbage football he has us playing. Germany is the only decent team he's beaten

Panama-W
Tunisia-W
Belgium-L
Sweden-W
Columbia-D (W on pens)
Croatia-L
Belgium-L
Croatia-W
Scotland-D
Czech Republic-W
Germany-W
Ukraine-W
Denmark-D (W AET)

I think the bigger question to ask is "can he take you further?". Keep in mind that a new manager wouldn't get as much time before the next WC to get this team playing to his tune because of the limited time he'd get with these players and maybe Southgate gets better in that time and learns from his mistakes. On the flip-side, if immediate success isn't the important factor here and you're willing to wait it out for this team to peak then it could work long-term with a new manager.

5 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I think the bigger question to ask is "can he take you further?". Keep in mind that a new manager wouldn't get as much time before the next WC to get this team playing to his tune because of the limited time he'd get with these players and maybe Southgate gets better in that time and learns from his mistakes. On the flip-side, if immediate success isn't the important factor here and you're willing to wait it out for this team to peak then it could work long-term with a new manager.

It will be the luck of the draw if he can take us further or not tbh. he needs to come back and study under Pep again especially with half the team being Man City players with the possibility of Grealish & Kane adding to that too.  ..if we could get a top manager though id change him now

• The title was changed to Do South Americans Think 1966 World Cup Was Fixed?
5 hours ago, El Profesor said:

1978 was fixed, a number of decisions in the final were very dodgy that went in Argentina's favour.  We could have won it though at the end against all the corruption. 

2 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Panama-W
Tunisia-W
Belgium-L
Sweden-W
Columbia-D (W on pens)
Croatia-L
Belgium-L
Croatia-W
Scotland-D
Czech Republic-W
Germany-W
Ukraine-W
Denmark-D (W AET)

You forgot the nation league as well on there,  when he lost 3-1 to Netherlands.

8 hours ago, internationalsfan said:

So I've just come across this article. Is this just sour grapes from sore losers or do we reckon their could be a grain of truth in it somewhere? After all the Argentinian's being fixed tk win it in 1978 is widely entertained over here as plausible? 

Obviously the main claimant on this one is disgraced Jaoa Havelange, so pinch of salt on his personal claims but some of the things do seem a bit worrying. Especially as we now know the Germans were roided up as well

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jul/24/1966-world-cup-final-conspiracy-refereeing-50-years

Yes 66 was fixed, it was a dodgy Russia linesman against West Germany

8 hours ago, internationalsfan said:

1934 World cup was 100% fixed.

23 minutes ago, It's Coming Home! said:

1934 World cup was 100% fixed.

Italy won the next World Cup as well though, so we're clearly a strong team. There isn't really a similar argument in 1966 or 1978.

To be fair most of the accusations seem to be that England and Germany were fixed to get to the final as that would get most punters into Wembley but they did win that match on merit. 

I dont think 1966 was fixed. Germany's equaliser was actually controversial there appeared to be a handball in the build up. I think studies have shown that that 97% of the ball crossed the line so it understandable the linesman gave it.

Statistically speaking refs to tend to give more decisions to home teams. However I think England v Spain in 1996 and South Korea v italy were quite dodgy. Its possible the ref was told to try to get the home teams through but I do have doubts because I think match fixing would get found out.

I feel it's very likely that Argentina v Peru was fixed to a certain degree. The argentina president was seen going into the Peru dressing room so I think something was said there.

I think there was some controversy over Germany's win in 1954 because apparently fifa didnt want Hungary to win because they were communists. I think Hungary had a good goal disallowed and germany had an offside one allowed but I dont know 

3 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Should Southgate be sacked? :35_thinking:  ..his football's shit, how good would England be under a top manager?

Hes probably England best manager since alf Ramsey. If we want an english manager then no he definitely shouldn't 

1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Hes probably England best manager since alf Ramsey. If we want an english manager then no he definitely shouldn't 

Think that is the problem, there isn't any top class English managers. someone like Wenger would get us playing better football

Just now, Happy Blue said:

Think that is the problem, there isn't any top class English managers. someone like Wenger would get us playing better football

I dont really care if the footballs good mate I just wanna win. I think Wenger could do a decent job because he was in England for so long. Lampard is decent, gerrard is decent. For me we need a young manager because I think older managers cant adapt to modern football. Since St Georges park opened England are definitely producing  more talent and part of the plan was to develop better coaches as well so hopefully that will happen. But southgate has been a great england manager so I dont want him to go. I dont think England have ever played with so much passion. I was thinking about this the other day. Is it actually an english problem or a premier league problem? I mean how many great managers have come from the premier league? Look at all the top managers they haven't played in the premier league? 

Archived