talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Xbox Series X controller issue

football forum

Wondered if anyone was good at fixing issues with Xbox controllers or can advise. 

I can turn on my Xbox and all seems fine through the password code stage but as soon as it gets to the dashboard my screen goes insane as if my controller is stuck going down insanely fast. 

Now it's not been dropped or got wet but the really strange thing is when I press the power off button on the pad the controller works perfectly fine on the screen that says controller off, turn off xbox or reset xbox. 

I can't get to the settings etc.. Because I can't do anything on the Dashboard. 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Devil said:

Wondered if anyone was good at fixing issues with Xbox controllers or can advise. 

I can turn on my Xbox and all seems fine through the password code stage but as soon as it gets to the dashboard my screen goes insane as if my controller is stuck going down insanely fast. 

Now it's not been dropped or got wet but the really strange thing is when I press the power off button on the pad the controller works perfectly fine on the screen that says controller off, turn off xbox or reset xbox. 

So everything works fine when you've got the power button pushed down... but the joysticks seem to have a mind of their own? Have you tried it plugged in via USB? If so... what's it doing then.

First thing I'd do is power cycle the xbox (when it's on, hold the power button down when you turn it off - unplug it from the wall, count to 10 or 15... I can't remember which one it is). Plug everything back in... power the fucking thing back up.

Now, see if that's stopped it. There's a chance this might be enough to have fixed it - I doubt it will though, but maybe (hopefully) it will. The next thing I'd do is keep it plugged into the Xbox by USB and try to update the controller (I think nowadays you can do it wirelessly, but while shit is acting weird... it's probably best to keep it plugged in). If the sticks are stopping you from getting through the menus, download the Xbox app on your phone and connect to Wifi... you should be able to detect your Xbox there and do basic controller shite navigating through menus and whatnot just through the app.

If updating the thing hasn't fixed it... it's a Xbox Series X, so you probably haven't had it for very long - the warranty's still got to be active. I'd probably call Microsoft and file a warranty claim with them - they've got decent customer support. They'll also probably troubleshoot it with you, and maybe do some other things on the phone with you other than what I've suggested to get things working.

But before you call anyone, try power cycling & updating the controller with it all plugged in.

38 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

So everything works fine when you've got the power button pushed down... but the joysticks seem to have a mind of their own? Have you tried it plugged in via USB? If so... what's it doing then.

First thing I'd do is power cycle the xbox (when it's on, hold the power button down when you turn it off - unplug it from the wall, count to 10 or 15... I can't remember which one it is). Plug everything back in... power the fucking thing back up.

Now, see if that's stopped it. There's a chance this might be enough to have fixed it - I doubt it will though, but maybe (hopefully) it will. The next thing I'd do is keep it plugged into the Xbox by USB and try to update the controller (I think nowadays you can do it wirelessly, but while shit is acting weird... it's probably best to keep it plugged in). If the sticks are stopping you from getting through the menus, download the Xbox app on your phone and connect to Wifi... you should be able to detect your Xbox there and do basic controller shite navigating through menus and whatnot just through the app.

If updating the thing hasn't fixed it... it's a Xbox Series X, so you probably haven't had it for very long - the warranty's still got to be active. I'd probably call Microsoft and file a warranty claim with them - they've got decent customer support. They'll also probably troubleshoot it with you, and maybe do some other things on the phone with you other than what I've suggested to get things working.

But before you call anyone, try power cycling & updating the controller with it all plugged in.

Bought it off Ebay because I couldn't get one at Crimbo. 😂

Paid more than I should as well, be gutted if its a softwear issue and not just the pad. 

3 hours ago, Devil said:

Bought it off Ebay because I couldn't get one at Crimbo. 😂

Paid more than I should as well, be gutted if its a softwear issue and not just the pad. 

That's shit! Well if you do need to call Microsoft for help, don't tell them you bought it off Ebay xD say your pal Gonzo got it for you as a gift or some shit, so you don't have receipts or proof of purchase.

They've got pretty good customer support, imo and if nothing else works, they'll probably be the most helpful. I bet you can get it fixed without any additional charge to you... but it might be annoying in that you might have to go a few weeks without a controller.

• Subscriber
On 13/07/2021 at 23:36, Devil said:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/calibrate-xbox-one-controller-in-windows-10#:~:text=Connect the Xbox Controller with,and scan for hardware changes.

long long shot but if you can find a way to connect it to a Windows machine you can run the diagnostics and calibrate the controller. If it still persists call Microsoft and follow @Dr. Gonzo's advice.

When I got a controller some time back I had to calibrate it because the BT receiver I was using had issues and then it never went out of sync again.

Archived