talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I know it's CONCACAF so the quality is a bit wonky but... you look the best side in the conference. Mexico should probably be the best side on paper, but their manager can't set them up to save his life and there's attitude issues in their squad (and shitloads of Mexicans are actively wanting their side to do badly because they're upset with Mexico's FA for rampant corruption/that riot where people died getting covered up). The US has a decent squad, but they don't quite play the same way Canada do.

Whenever I've watched Canada play lately (which granted... has only been twice) they look like a real team that knows it's strengths and weaknesses, and plays to its strengths. CONCACAF's known for it's shithousery, but Canada look like a side that can handle the shithouses and still play quality stuff to win. And like @Coma said, it looks like they play without fear.

It's got to be exciting to see your country in a world cup for the first time in your life, but I think it's doubly exciting seeing a side that I think can play pretty well - certainly one that I think can do well enough to get results against against Asian/African/smaller European sides. So depending on how the group pans out, it could be an enjoyable ride for you.

Even with a tough group, it can be fun too even if you might not progress. Seeing Iran go toe to toe with Spain and Portugal at the last world cup was a bit mental tbh because the gulf in quality between Iran and those 2 is immeasurable tbh.

Sometimes it's better when you don't have much expectation for a side in these tournaments, so you can just fully enjoy the ride.

I was really hoping theyd have a match in Vancouver but it just didnt end up happening for whatever the reason..maybe the turf. but yeah its been a wild ride to follow along with. Men's football here just not only hasnt been relevent in my lifetime but we've just never had a team that could even compete. I still remember the fallout from that 7-1 beatdown Honduras layed on us years ago when there where some rumblings about this team back then. Ive still only watched a handful of matches myself too but its just a different feeling. I mostly listen to sports talk radio in and out throughout my workday and its primarily hockey naturally but this run has actually had lots of coverage and even yesterday a dedicated 3 hour show about qualifying. Its really cool to see the shift as basically only the woman's team has achieved anything. 

Either way your right about the group stage its all house money at this point, if they can score a goal great, win a match would be something and you never know about how the chips fall but theres 0 expectations really. I'd still love to watch Canada get destroyed by Italy (HAHA SORRY) or Spain or England or especially Germany for that matter. I know Davies can definitively play at that level even Jonathan David to a lesser extent but it would be cool to see how the rest of the squad matches up against the top sides and players regardless.  

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived