talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Ill share this here as well but this might be the best goal in the history of Canada, Davies...just oh my. Timely goal as that was the go ahead 2-1 at the time..ended up 4-1 after conceding the first to Panama. Big win.

https://streamja.com/OBAqn

also updated standings:

standings.png

and that's why he plays for the best club side in the world. ;)

Incredible goal, his pace is astonishing. 😲

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Historic win for Canada 2-1 over Mexico last night moving them into first place for the time being. With Davies not really figuring into much for once the team still looked strong. Heres the updated standings but things looking real good for the good guys.

Untitled.png

2 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Historic win for Canada 2-1 over Mexico last night moving them into first place for the time being. With Davies not really figuring into much for once the team still looked strong. Heres the updated standings but things looking real good for the good guys.

Untitled.png

Huge win for Canada but it’s a bit disheartening that 4th place is only 2 points behind. 
dont relish a playoff fixture 

Have to love the snow and cold in Edmonton.  The Mexicans must have been shi**ing themselves when they first came on the field.  -15  and ten centimeters of snow.  Could't even warm up on the sideline because of the snow.   Canada should play the rest of their home games there, unless there is a stadium in Whitehorse. .

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm gonna be honest, I quite like Mexico's national team... but I wish I'd watched them lose to Canada because for some reason that feels like it was a historic victory for Canada.

Would be very cool if Canada qualified for the World Cup - I would be pretty pleased for @Viva la FCB

This run is really cool, add in the Davies connection and ive gotten more interested as this has gone along. Definitely the best team we've assembled that I can remember that actually has a seemingly pretty good shot at making it. Its kinda funny as Ive never really followed on the Canadian national team before as theyve never been relevent in my lifetime meanwhile my dads German and I grew up watching and following them instead. 

Probably the most encouraging part about the win over Mexico is Davies didnt factor in at all and Johnathan David started on the bench and we still managed the result. 

Did Canada invest heavily in football when they got hosting rights? They dont normally get to the final group stage let alone qualify. It appears that Qatar did the same as they suddenly produced one of there best teams in their history 

On 19/11/2021 at 02:58, Gunnersauraus said:

Did Canada invest heavily in football when they got hosting rights? They dont normally get to the final group stage let alone qualify. It appears that Qatar did the same as they suddenly produced one of there best teams in their history 

Get some African players to play for you. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 16/12/2021 at 16:26, Redcanuck said:

Got my tickets for Canada/USA  in Hamilton January 30th.

Good win. Hope they qualify. Watched a video online. Are canadians generally passionate people. They seemed so happy to win.

17 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Good win. Hope they qualify. Watched a video online. Are canadians generally passionate people. They seemed so happy to win.

I am surprised by the passion of the core supporters,  not sure if it's real or they are just copying what they have seen or heard from football supporters around the world.

We were at a qualifying game earlier in Toronto, Canada was playing Belize, so it was the first game of the first round. The stadium was packed, there were fights in the stands, flares and even a cannon going off.  Add that the stands are metal and with people consently stomping, it was hard to hear or see at times. We took the train home from the ground and within about 5 minutes it had to stop, because there were fights in three of the cars.  Cops came aboard, breaking heads, arresting people, it was like being at match in England in the 70's.

Playing and beating the Americans add to the passion being shown, as does the alcohol.

19 hours ago, The Käiser said:

Hope u stayed warm

watched it and was a great game 

what a win

almost qualified!!

It had warmed up a lot here to about minus 6 or 7 Celsius.  If it had been Thursday or Friday night it would have been brutal, it was -18, with a windchill of -30.   You learn to bundle up here and carry a flask of whiskey.

A couple of the Honduras players got hypothermia in their match in the US. I can understand why Canada hosts in frigid conditions - if they're the host nation and the whole nation is fucking frozen... what are you meant to do? But the US? They're big enough to have shitloads of not totally frigid playing conditions.

I understand it's CONCACAF and a lot of shithousing goes into these "unfriendly away" fixtures including waterlogging the pitch on days where it's going to be very hot so you can actually see steam rising out of the muddy pitch... but this is Honduras, in last place in their group. Did it need to be done?

Having said that, I guess if I were planning things for the US side I probably wouldn't care xD

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Making the Worldcup is quite an achievement, as Ive said before the national team has never been relevant in my lifetime but the one thing I will say is this team could do some damage. If they get a favourable group at all who knows what could happen. Gives me something else to follow along with and cheer for :hh:

On 28/03/2022 at 08:17, Viva la FCB said:

Making the Worldcup is quite an achievement, as Ive said before the national team has never been relevant in my lifetime but the one thing I will say is this team could do some damage. If they get a favourable group at all who knows what could happen. Gives me something else to follow along with and cheer for :hh:

I know it's CONCACAF so the quality is a bit wonky but... you look the best side in the conference. Mexico should probably be the best side on paper, but their manager can't set them up to save his life and there's attitude issues in their squad (and shitloads of Mexicans are actively wanting their side to do badly because they're upset with Mexico's FA for rampant corruption/that riot where people died getting covered up). The US has a decent squad, but they don't quite play the same way Canada do.

Whenever I've watched Canada play lately (which granted... has only been twice) they look like a real team that knows it's strengths and weaknesses, and plays to its strengths. CONCACAF's known for it's shithousery, but Canada look like a side that can handle the shithouses and still play quality stuff to win. And like @Coma said, it looks like they play without fear.

It's got to be exciting to see your country in a world cup for the first time in your life, but I think it's doubly exciting seeing a side that I think can play pretty well - certainly one that I think can do well enough to get results against against Asian/African/smaller European sides. So depending on how the group pans out, it could be an enjoyable ride for you.

Even with a tough group, it can be fun too even if you might not progress. Seeing Iran go toe to toe with Spain and Portugal at the last world cup was a bit mental tbh because the gulf in quality between Iran and those 2 is immeasurable tbh.

Sometimes it's better when you don't have much expectation for a side in these tournaments, so you can just fully enjoy the ride.

Archived