Jump to content
talkfootball365
  • Welcome!

    Tired of Kevins and Karens on Facebook and other social media platforms?

    Our forum is completely focused on football and moderated to keep discussions civil. Sound good? Sign up!

CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers


Recommended Posts

Have to love the snow and cold in Edmonton.  The Mexicans must have been shi**ing themselves when they first came on the field.  -15  and ten centimeters of snow.  Could't even warm up on the sideline because of the snow.   Canada should play the rest of their home games there, unless there is a stadium in Whitehorse. .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sign up to remove this ad.
18 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm gonna be honest, I quite like Mexico's national team... but I wish I'd watched them lose to Canada because for some reason that feels like it was a historic victory for Canada.

Would be very cool if Canada qualified for the World Cup - I would be pretty pleased for @Viva la FCB

This run is really cool, add in the Davies connection and ive gotten more interested as this has gone along. Definitely the best team we've assembled that I can remember that actually has a seemingly pretty good shot at making it. Its kinda funny as Ive never really followed on the Canadian national team before as theyve never been relevent in my lifetime meanwhile my dads German and I grew up watching and following them instead. 

Probably the most encouraging part about the win over Mexico is Davies didnt factor in at all and Johnathan David started on the bench and we still managed the result. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Did Canada invest heavily in football when they got hosting rights? They dont normally get to the final group stage let alone qualify. It appears that Qatar did the same as they suddenly produced one of there best teams in their history 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/11/2021 at 02:58, Gunnersauraus said:

 Did Canada invest heavily in football when they got hosting rights? They dont normally get to the final group stage let alone qualify. It appears that Qatar did the same as they suddenly produced one of there best teams in their history 

Get some African players to play for you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 16/12/2021 at 16:26, Redcanuck said:

Got my tickets for Canada/USA  in Hamilton January 30th.

Good win. Hope they qualify. Watched a video online. Are canadians generally passionate people. They seemed so happy to win.

Edited by Guest
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Good win. Hope they qualify. Watched a video online. Are canadians generally passionate people. They seemed so happy to win.

I am surprised by the passion of the core supporters,  not sure if it's real or they are just copying what they have seen or heard from football supporters around the world.

We were at a qualifying game earlier in Toronto, Canada was playing Belize, so it was the first game of the first round. The stadium was packed, there were fights in the stands, flares and even a cannon going off.  Add that the stands are metal and with people consently stomping, it was hard to hear or see at times. We took the train home from the ground and within about 5 minutes it had to stop, because there were fights in three of the cars.  Cops came aboard, breaking heads, arresting people, it was like being at match in England in the 70's.

Playing and beating the Americans add to the passion being shown, as does the alcohol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, The Käiser said:

Hope u stayed warm

watched it and was a great game 

what a win

almost qualified!!

It had warmed up a lot here to about minus 6 or 7 Celsius.  If it had been Thursday or Friday night it would have been brutal, it was -18, with a windchill of -30.   You learn to bundle up here and carry a flask of whiskey.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A couple of the Honduras players got hypothermia in their match in the US. I can understand why Canada hosts in frigid conditions - if they're the host nation and the whole nation is fucking frozen... what are you meant to do? But the US? They're big enough to have shitloads of not totally frigid playing conditions.

I understand it's CONCACAF and a lot of shithousing goes into these "unfriendly away" fixtures including waterlogging the pitch on days where it's going to be very hot so you can actually see steam rising out of the muddy pitch... but this is Honduras, in last place in their group. Did it need to be done?

Having said that, I guess if I were planning things for the US side I probably wouldn't care xD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Congrats @Viva la FCB. Looking forward to at least one CONCACAF club not embarassing itself on the world stage.

Canada plays without fear, which is more than I can say for the US.

Edited by Coma
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Making the Worldcup is quite an achievement, as Ive said before the national team has never been relevant in my lifetime but the one thing I will say is this team could do some damage. If they get a favourable group at all who knows what could happen. Gives me something else to follow along with and cheer for :hh:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/03/2022 at 08:17, Viva la FCB said:

Making the Worldcup is quite an achievement, as Ive said before the national team has never been relevant in my lifetime but the one thing I will say is this team could do some damage. If they get a favourable group at all who knows what could happen. Gives me something else to follow along with and cheer for :hh:

I know it's CONCACAF so the quality is a bit wonky but... you look the best side in the conference. Mexico should probably be the best side on paper, but their manager can't set them up to save his life and there's attitude issues in their squad (and shitloads of Mexicans are actively wanting their side to do badly because they're upset with Mexico's FA for rampant corruption/that riot where people died getting covered up). The US has a decent squad, but they don't quite play the same way Canada do.

Whenever I've watched Canada play lately (which granted... has only been twice) they look like a real team that knows it's strengths and weaknesses, and plays to its strengths. CONCACAF's known for it's shithousery, but Canada look like a side that can handle the shithouses and still play quality stuff to win. And like @Coma said, it looks like they play without fear.

It's got to be exciting to see your country in a world cup for the first time in your life, but I think it's doubly exciting seeing a side that I think can play pretty well - certainly one that I think can do well enough to get results against against Asian/African/smaller European sides. So depending on how the group pans out, it could be an enjoyable ride for you.

Even with a tough group, it can be fun too even if you might not progress. Seeing Iran go toe to toe with Spain and Portugal at the last world cup was a bit mental tbh because the gulf in quality between Iran and those 2 is immeasurable tbh.

Sometimes it's better when you don't have much expectation for a side in these tournaments, so you can just fully enjoy the ride.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I know it's CONCACAF so the quality is a bit wonky but... you look the best side in the conference. Mexico should probably be the best side on paper, but their manager can't set them up to save his life and there's attitude issues in their squad (and shitloads of Mexicans are actively wanting their side to do badly because they're upset with Mexico's FA for rampant corruption/that riot where people died getting covered up). The US has a decent squad, but they don't quite play the same way Canada do.

Whenever I've watched Canada play lately (which granted... has only been twice) they look like a real team that knows it's strengths and weaknesses, and plays to its strengths. CONCACAF's known for it's shithousery, but Canada look like a side that can handle the shithouses and still play quality stuff to win. And like @Coma said, it looks like they play without fear.

It's got to be exciting to see your country in a world cup for the first time in your life, but I think it's doubly exciting seeing a side that I think can play pretty well - certainly one that I think can do well enough to get results against against Asian/African/smaller European sides. So depending on how the group pans out, it could be an enjoyable ride for you.

Even with a tough group, it can be fun too even if you might not progress. Seeing Iran go toe to toe with Spain and Portugal at the last world cup was a bit mental tbh because the gulf in quality between Iran and those 2 is immeasurable tbh.

Sometimes it's better when you don't have much expectation for a side in these tournaments, so you can just fully enjoy the ride.

I was really hoping theyd have a match in Vancouver but it just didnt end up happening for whatever the reason..maybe the turf. but yeah its been a wild ride to follow along with. Men's football here just not only hasnt been relevent in my lifetime but we've just never had a team that could even compete. I still remember the fallout from that 7-1 beatdown Honduras layed on us years ago when there where some rumblings about this team back then. Ive still only watched a handful of matches myself too but its just a different feeling. I mostly listen to sports talk radio in and out throughout my workday and its primarily hockey naturally but this run has actually had lots of coverage and even yesterday a dedicated 3 hour show about qualifying. Its really cool to see the shift as basically only the woman's team has achieved anything. 

Either way your right about the group stage its all house money at this point, if they can score a goal great, win a match would be something and you never know about how the chips fall but theres 0 expectations really. I'd still love to watch Canada get destroyed by Italy (HAHA SORRY) or Spain or England or especially Germany for that matter. I know Davies can definitively play at that level even Jonathan David to a lesser extent but it would be cool to see how the rest of the squad matches up against the top sides and players regardless.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

football forum
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...