• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

F1 New Car 2022

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, nudge said:

I actually love it :o:x

I want to start off by apologizing as I'm sure my American words don't fit the proper names, but...

What are teams allowed to alter? The front wing? The shaft leading up to the front wing? 

The spoiler looks slick on this and the entire car looks closer to the ground. 

So, what can and can't be altered through innovation? 

• Subscriber
49 minutes ago, Eco said:

I want to start off by apologizing as I'm sure my American words don't fit the proper names, but...

What are teams allowed to alter? The front wing? The shaft leading up to the front wing? 

The spoiler looks slick on this and the entire car looks closer to the ground. 

So, what can and can't be altered through innovation? 

The regulations are complex, and at this point, it's not exactly clear to a layman how big the differences between different cars will be. The front wing, just like the rear wing as well as the whole body geometry is not standartised, so teams will have a certain amount of freedom to alter it, but they will have to follow specific prescribed templates which are said to be quite restrictive, so the differences probably won't be huge, at least not visually. The sidepod inlets, edges of the floor, the area around the wheel deflectors, etc will probably be mostly used as opportunities for innovative changes, especially in order to improve the air flow to the venturi tunnels. Stupid over-complicated bargeboards are finally banned. 

Expect some articles to be coming up in the next days, with better analysis and details.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, McAzeem said:

What's the most controversial rule in this? That always starts a debate like handball/offside in football. Every sport has one

Not much of a controversial rule, but people seem to be mostly divided by the flat wide nose and huge front wing.

That said, there's not much debate as the changes are being made mostly in order to reduce the wake and make it easier to follow the car ahead in dirty air, which was quite a big problem for quite a while. Whether it works or not, remains to be seen though!

• 4 months later...

Archived