talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arjen Robben Officially Retires

football forum

• Subscriber

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2021/7/15/22578681/bayern-munich-arjen-robben-groningen-bundesliga-champions-league-dfb-pokal-real-madrid-chelsea-psv

Arjen Robben has officially announced his definitive retirement from professional football.

The 37-year-old Dutch winger had originally retired after leaving Bayern Munich in the summer of 2019, but had made a comeback a year later to help his boyhood club FC Groningen. However, injuries kept Robben from playing a proper season in his home country, and he was limited to just seven appearances all year.

Robben released a statement saying: “Looking back on the past season, I have to come to the honest conclusion that the number of match minutes was disappointing.”

“I knew in advance that this could happen, but I took up the challenge and gave everything to make it work. And not only me, everyone within the club and in my immediate environment has helped and supported me at all times. I am also not unaffected by the warm reactions and support from all football fans.”

It was heartwarming to see Robben suit up for his home team one more time in an attempt to help them, and it was also sad to see that it didn’t work out too well. However, Robben’s legacy will not be tarnished by this as he hangs up his boots once and for all.

Robben has had a star-studded career up until this point, beginning his career in the Netherlands with Groningen and PSV Eindhoven before moving to Chelsea. After three years in London, he swapped one capital city for another as he transferred to Spanish giants Real Madrid. Two seasons later, he left Spain and arrived in Bayern Munich, a move he described as the best decision of his life. He spent the next ten years wearing the number 10, and establishing himself as a true Bayern legend. The highlight of his career came in 2013, when he scored the winning goal against Borussia Dortmund in the UEFA Champions League final.

Robben also had a highly successful international career, being capped by the Netherlands 96 times, and leading his country to two consecutive World Cup semifinals.

We at BFW wish Arjen a blissful retirement, and hope for a possible reunion in Munich one day!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Arjen Robben Officially Retires
  • Administrator

There's only so many players who can overcome the concept of defenders always knowing what you're gonna do with the ball and they still can't stop you. Robben was one of them.

Cut inside on his left, whip one in to the top corner. Did it countless times.

Wand of a left foot. 

11 hours ago, Stan said:

There's only so many players who can overcome the concept of defenders always knowing what you're gonna do with the ball and they still can't stop you. Robben was one of them.

Cut inside on his left, whip one in to the top corner. Did it countless times.

Wand of a left foot. 

Yup, when he had the ball on the right wing, you just knew what was about to happen. xD

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Why did you say huh? xD

Huh? 

I just didn't know why you'd quoted me and pretty much said the same thing xD

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, Stan said:

Huh? 

I just didn't know why you'd quoted me and pretty much said the same thing xD

That's called "keeping the conversation going", Stanley. 

• Subscriber

Theres been alot of fond memories and thinking back about some of the best moments with Robben. Naturally 2013 comes to mind but this goal I saw crop up again and was one of the first that came to mind for me as it was somewhat recent to. It was a thrilling comeback victory against RB but this whole play just embodies Robben. 

Archived