talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tokyo 2020 Olympics

football forum

A week a way from the opening ceremony now, and even less to the opening events on Wednesday (softball and women's football).

The event will run to the 8th August. I don't know about other countries but the build up has been pretty lowkey here in the UK. The BBC have lost a lot of proliferal rights to Discovery+/Eurosport so they'll like be going back to the chopping and changing of really old Olympics between highlights as opposed to sticking with events for hours. That said Eurosport pricing is reasonable for those who prefer other sports. I've followed Olympics since Beijing and this definitely has the least buzz around it.

The day of sport running from roughly 10pm to 3pm in the UK likely hasn't much helped build up to it. I'm sure night-shifters will be pleased with it.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, Machado said:

Has the world ever cared less about the Olympics? No media hype whatsoever.

Will try to tune in for some of the swimming and track races.

I think this is influenced by the fact there's no fans there and it's a year later than planned. 

It really does seem like nothing is happening. Maybe when it gets started it'll pick up some hype but I agree it's very underwhelming right now. 

Olympics as an idea is outdated, the logistic/cost problems of only one city hosting it and the virus this time around.

It's good seeing hardworking athletes from ordinary background get the sporting world spotlight once in a while away from those arrogant tax evading footballers, cricketers, tennisers etc but I don't feel anything special about this event.

I also find it sorry that countries try to push to get their kind of sports into the Olympics to increase their chances of winning medals. 

OIC is also unfair to sports who actually treat Olympics as their prime event like Hockey which might be discarded after 2024, Squash which repeatedly has been turned down to get included but want to bring in sports like Golf, Rugby, E-sports who frankly don't even care that much.  

• Administrator

Well this is shit. 

No doubt the victim (Torunarigha & Germany) will be punished for 'failure to complete a game' or some shit like that as opposed to the actual racist abuse being focused on... 

• Subscriber

I love the Olympics. Haven't been that excited about it due to the nature of the last 18 months and knowing almost anything can be overhauled or cancelled in the blink of an eye. I am pretty excited though. Coincides with the start of the summer holidays for me and I'm not travelling again this summer so I'll be turning into a lot of it. Just a shame about the timezones really from a selfish point of view.

I’ve always liked the Olympics from a sporting point of view, like the swimming and athletics. Never really been big on Team GB though, you’d think coming from a family that’s partly Irish Catholic that that would be the reason why but no, don’t get how people want England, Scotland, Wales to lose in the footy or rugby depending on who they support but then go on to pretend there’s a national identity and cohesion for this just so they can celebrate some xtra gold medals.

Happy to see the English and Irish athletes win medals, not overly bothered by anyone else.

• Subscriber

Love the Olympics, shame about how this one is happening. Some fantastic memories over the years watching Team GB smash it. B|

I’ll be tuning in anyway, hype or no hype, it’s still the worlds best athletes competing against each other.

So we're off and away then. The calm before the storm in this regard with team sports that are only going to interest a minority. It always feels weird the olympics starting before the first ceremony tbh.

Only watching the football as baseball and softball bore me to tears. Not to mention them being on at ridiculous 'o' clock at night

• The topic was pinned
On 17/07/2021 at 05:25, Machado said:

Has the world ever cared less about the Olympics? No media hype whatsoever.

Will try to tune in for some of the swimming and track races.

Pretty devastating to Japan to be in such shit circumstances. They would be a great host of the Olympics in normal times.

Why did someone merge the Olympic Football thread with the Olympic thread? I figured we'd treat it like the Nations League or any other major football tournament. 

Germany vs Brazil tomorrow. 

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, Machado said:

"Imagine" played at every opening. I wonder if anyone who's singed it ever meant it.

Maybe I'm too cynical but "imagine there's no countries" doesn't make sense in the context.

I always found it slightly amusing how Lennon sang "imagine no posessions" in his mansion while playing the song on the Steinway piano with his custom made Rolls Royce standing right outside xD 

To be fair the song was supposed to be about imagining the things that divide us weren't doing so. Not that they weren't there at all. In that sense it may be considered fitting for the Olympics.

Lennon once said something weird like imagine is about if you want a car go get the keys. This is what happens when art is made by people off their tits. No one gets what it was about, it becomes something else.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived