• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tokyo 2020 Olympics

football forum

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Machado said:

"Imagine" played at every opening. I wonder if anyone who's singed it ever meant it.

Maybe I'm too cynical but "imagine there's no countries" doesn't make sense in the context.

If there’s no countries, all Olympic glory belongs to all of us.

• Subscriber
43 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Nice, as of right now Iran has more gold medals than the USA 

thats because the real medal haul isnt till the last few weeks then it turns into a very one-sided race

On another note, just how good is Adam Peaty. Zip zip in the water.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

thats because the real medal haul isnt till the last few weeks then it turns into a very one-sided race

1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

He holds the 16 fastest times in 50m breast stroke history. 

Absolute beast of a man in the pool. 

2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Haha yeah I know, but I’ll enjoy it while it lasts

• Subscriber
14 hours ago, El Profesor said:

Has anyone found guide of this edition of the Olympics where one can find the schedule and the medal favorites for every modality? 

Feels a bit strange an Olympics without Bolt and Phelps. 

There's an official app with the daily schedule on it but it's not very good really. There isn't even a page to see all of the medal results by event, just the medal table.

So apparently the broadcasting rights have changed in the UK this year. Discovery/Eurosport have most of the rights and instead of being able to show almost all of the live events the BBC is limited to two live streams at a time so you get the main coverage and one other option on the red button. It's not great to be honest. They haven't figured out how best to do it yet, the main coverage seems to be a scatter gun of trying to get as many British athletes on as possible but they keep showing stuff 20-30 minutes after it's actually happened by which time it's already all over Twitter. Hopefully they figure it out but at the moment I'm really struggling to keep track of what has actually happened and what's going to be shown during the day.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

There's an official app with the daily schedule on it but it's not very good really. There isn't even a page to see all of the medal results by event, just the medal table.

So apparently the broadcasting rights have changed in the UK this year. Discovery/Eurosport have most of the rights and instead of being able to show almost all of the live events the BBC is limited to two live streams at a time so you get the main coverage and one other option on the red button. It's not great to be honest. They haven't figured out how best to do it yet, the main coverage seems to be a scatter gun of trying to get as many British athletes on as possible but they keep showing stuff 20-30 minutes after it's actually happened by which time it's already all over Twitter. Hopefully they figure it out but at the moment I'm really struggling to keep track of what has actually happened and what's going to be shown during the day.

It's kinda strange that with all information we have today, at times I feel less informed than in the past.

When I was younger, I always bought a magazine with a complete guide to the Olympics, schedule, favorite for all modalities and where Brazil had a realistic shot to win medals. 

3 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

To be fair the £6.99 for Eurosport/Discovery+ isn't too bad, and it has 20+ event streams on it, that said broadcasting them without/with the wrong commentary is a poor showing. 

The timings of things being completely awful for most of us in the UK is out of telly channels control, as is the ever more noticeable lack of spectators. We even noticed on the swimming heats this morning, a sport you wouldn't thing would be affected that much by it to be honest. The BBC are really catering to the TEAM GB crowd who don't watch any of the other events, which is annoying for those of us who like to sit down and watch extend runs of different sports throughout the tournament.

3x3 Basketball seems to be really badly affected by the lack of crowds, given it's set up entirely to be for the crowd, hopefully other urban sports don't suffer as badly. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, internationalsfan said:

To be fair the £6.99 for Eurosport/Discovery+ isn't too bad, and it has 20+ event streams on it, that said broadcasting them without/with the wrong commentary is a poor showing. 

The timings of things being completely awful for most of us in the UK is out of telly channels control, as is the ever more noticeable lack of spectators. We even noticed on the swimming heats this morning, a sport you wouldn't thing would be affected that much by it to be honest. The BBC are really catering to the TEAM GB crowd who don't watch any of the other events, which is annoying for those of us who like to sit down and watch extend runs of different sports throughout the tournament.

3x3 Basketball seems to be really badly affected by the lack of crowds, given it's set up entirely to be for the crowd, hopefully other urban sports don't suffer as badly. 

I know it isn't the BBC's fault they can only stream two things at once and the timezone issue is unavoidable but what I'm saying is they can at least show live sport on the main broadcast surely. They keep showing stuff from 30 minutes earlier which they could have showed live if they weren't showing a replay of something else at the time, and it isn't the same in this day and age where anyone with a passing interest will have seen the result on social media. They are the experts at this at Wimbledon, where it feels like you see all of the key action live and whenever there's a lull in the live action they have five minutes of highlights from elsewhere to pummel you with and it feels like you haven't missed anything. They haven't quite figured it out yet with these Olympics but granted, it's early days and we're talking about quite an unruly beast compared to Wimbledon.

I actually have access to Eurosport on my Sky app on PS4 but not the red button stuff so I've just stuck to the BBC coverage.

2 hours ago, El Profesor said:

It's kinda strange that with all information we have today, at times I feel less informed than in the past.

When I was younger, I always bought a magazine with a complete guide to the Olympics, schedule, favorite for all modalities and where Brazil had a realistic shot to win medals. 

I've found that seasonal major tournaments tend to be really bad at making apps with good information that are easy to navigate. They always feel like something from the start of smartphone culture in 2010ish. All four of the tennis majors, the major international football tournaments, the Olympics, all horrible apps. It's surprisingly difficult to find even a web page that just pops up with the medal winners and their countries when an event finishes, which is what I'm actually interested in.

2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I know it isn't the BBC's fault they can only stream two things at once and the timezone issue is unavoidable but what I'm saying is they can at least show live sport on the main broadcast surely. They keep showing stuff from 30 minutes earlier which they could have showed live if they weren't showing a replay of something else at the time, and it isn't the same in this day and age where anyone with a passing interest will have seen the result on social media. They are the experts at this at Wimbledon, where it feels like you see all of the key action live and whenever there's a lull in the live action they have five minutes of highlights from elsewhere to pummel you with and it feels like you haven't missed anything. They haven't quite figured it out yet with these Olympics but granted, it's early days and we're talking about quite an unruly beast compared to Wimbledon.

I actually have access to Eurosport on my Sky app on PS4 but not the red button stuff so I've just stuck to the BBC coverage.

I've found that seasonal major tournaments tend to be really bad at making apps with good information that are easy to navigate. They always feel like something from the start of smartphone culture in 2010ish. All four of the tennis majors, the major international football tournaments, the Olympics, all horrible apps. It's surprisingly difficult to find even a web page that just pops up with the medal winners and their countries when an event finishes, which is what I'm actually interested in.

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/all-sports/medalists.htm

Don't know how long it takes to update though. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, internationalsfan said:

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/all-sports/medalists.htm

Don't know how long it takes to update though. 

Yeah they have that page on the app, just think it would be much better if when an event finished it came up and said

GOLD Uzbekistan

SILVER Great Britain

BRONZE Russia

With the athletes' names. That way you can sort of keep track of it, see what events have finished and what medals have been given out since you last checked.

For those who want to watch but can't due to the late nights, the triathlon kicking of at 22:30  tonight is a good shout. Should be done and dusted by 1am at the absolute latest.

Also finish late enough to keep those less bothered about late nights awake for the swimming Inc Adam Peaty

So a good night for Team GB then.

Alex Yee putting in an outstanding performance for silver in the triathlon, being beaten by Blumenfeld who had to be literally wheeled off in a chair after exhausting himself. Triathletes go much older than a lot of others so Yee's one to watch in Paris and LA at just 23 for gold. 

Especially pleased for Tom Daley (and of course Matty Lee) on the gold medal, long overdue to and hopefully shuts his critics up at last. Who am I kidding they'll still be telling us if he'd have 4 gold medals if he hadn't went on Splash!!!

Tom Pidcock winning a gold in Mountain biking Cross Country also great to see. Peaty's breaststroke never really in doubt.

And Lauren Williams fights for gold in Taekwondo soon. Inspired by watching London 2012 living in a caravan with her mum....

• Administrator

Glad Daley could finally get his gold. Especially when it was even more expected for him to achieve it in 2016.

Pidcock with a mammoth effort to win that gold in the mountain-bike.

Peaty's gold was pretty much guaranteed.

Great morning news to wake up to with all the golds.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived