The better place to talk football.

Tokyo 2020 Olympics

football forum

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Another good morning for GB.

Gold & Silver in 200m freestyle swimming.

And another silver Taylor-Brown winning silver in triathlon after getting a puncture as well in the cycling leg. What an effort. 

Sticking with the triathlon, Flora Duffy winning Bermuda's first ever olympic gold and only there second medal is another one of those amazing olympic stories. 

Might be seeing a few more Bermudan triathletes in the coming years especially with the World Series now including a stop over in the country.

She could have completed for GB and was actively sought out by them as a teenager, so beating a GB athlete might be extra sweet.

One thing that never ceases to amaze me is how much the triathletes seem to have a level.of camaraderie almost o par with a sports team even when from.different countries, considering how bitter some sports can be it's really refreshing.

Meanwhile some cunt bit someone in the boxing at the other end of the scale. Claiming he did it cos he was being headbutted.

Simone Biles withdraws from the women's team gymnastics on the day of the competition.

Hope she's ok. Sounds like it may have all just been getting a bit much for her, with the GOAT expectations and all. Always hard to be on that level, and probably harder in a pandemic year when you're more isolated and harder to stay grounded.

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Simone Biles withdraws from the women's team gymnastics on the day of the competition.

Hope she's ok. Sounds like it may have all just been getting a bit much for her, with the GOAT expectations and all. Always hard to be on that level, and probably harder in a pandemic year when you're more isolated and harder to stay grounded.

That sucks. 

They are saying it's a medical issue...damnit. 

There's a constant debate about sports that should and shouldn't be added to the Olympics, including disciplines in other sports. One that bemuses me is the Ironman Triathlon, if the Olympics is a place for the greatest sporting festival on earth surely endurance events like the Ironman are exactly what's needed. Just being watching highlights of 2019 Kona World Championship and it's an incredible feat by any standard to finish one, let alone to competitively race as a professional in them. I'd argue I'd have added the Ironman ahead of the mixed relay triathlon. I guess the length of it means it's not great for telly in some countries, but surely the old marathon trick of cutting in for progress during lulls in other sports could be done. 

Not to mention it can be held entirely outdoors and due to sure the length could take the olympics to areas outside the other events. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, internationalsfan said:

At the risk of triggering the woke brigade, Simone Biles withdrawing from the gymnastics due to mental health issues! It too much to say that you shouldn't be at an olympics if you're mental health is that bloody bad and it's actually quite selfish to go anyway when you've clearly got problems affecting your performance? 

What if she didn't have problems going in to the Olympics, but developed them while she was there?

7 minutes ago, internationalsfan said:

At the risk of triggering the woke brigade, Simone Biles withdrawing from the gymnastics due to mental health issues! It too much to say that you shouldn't be at an olympics if you're mental health is that bloody bad and it's actually quite selfish to go anyway when you've clearly got problems affecting your performance? 

The olympians arrived some 2 weeks before they started, so why is it not possible they developed while there? She is being called the greatest ever in her field, and everything here in the States is about her and her quest for gold again. 

She did poorly in quali (by her standards), and people were putting more pressure on her. 

I'm guessing you haven't had much pressure on you before? Certainly it makes sense when you literally have a country watching everything you do and critiquing every false step you make. 

Do you also have a problem with Naomi Osaka? 

25 minutes ago, internationalsfan said:

Simone Biles is a survivor of sexual abuse. Now she is renowned as the greatest gymnast of all time.

Can you even comprehend the mental strength required for that?

6 minutes ago, internationalsfan said:

Like everyone on the planet, I've been in highly pressurised situations professionally and personally. Like almost everyone else on the planet, I've had to learn to be aware of my own personal limits are and what I can and can't do in my current mental state and am able to make friends/colleagues aware of that when necessary. The idea that an Olympic athlete isn't aware of those things at their level - or worse is selfish enough to ignore them for an outside chance at being able to combat them is frankly either farcical or downright unpleasant to her fellow teammates. 

And Noami Osaka is an example of exactly what I'm on about - she's pulled out of events before they happened when she's known she can't manage them. That's the right way to handle these things. There's a difference fundamentally here - I couldn't give a shit if an athlete angers their sports governing body like Osaka by not sitting in frankly disgustingly intrusive interviews and an athlete pulling out in the middle of an event and letting her teammates down. If this had been an England player coming off at half time because they had anxiety at the Euros, would there be this deferential pandering over it? Osaka also withdraw between matches, not in the middle of the event. Biles should have pulled out last night if she was going to do so. 

I hear you, but honestly I'm just not sure why it matters to you in this regard. She's doing what's best for her and made a tough decision during the biggest moment in her life. 

And I promise, you idea of pressure, is peanuts compared to what she's had to deal with. Imagine not being able to go anywhere at home without be recognized, and then expected to continuously perform at a high level? It's more than just the Olympics and this moment, this is her life and it appears that it just got to her. 

So kudos to her for realizing it and take care of herself first and foremost. You'd think is anyone was going to have a massive problem with it, it'd be the Americans (we aren't), or her teammates (they aren't), not somebody on a football forum who is afraid of the woke brigade. 

Biles was also very outspoken that one of her main reasons for coming to Tokyo, was to remind the USA Gym admins about the amount of abuse that gymnast like her suffered at the hands of physios, especially Larry Nasser. She's kind of the last of his victims so she certainly had an entirely different chip on her shoulder. So she's a world famous athelete that is constantly being considered the GOAT, and having to talk about change about sexual abuse at which she suffered? 

Fuck off, mate...that not a Woke Brigade issue, it's a human decency one. 

And lastly, Osaka played Round 1 in the F.O., and retired afterwards due to mental health. Certainly she's selfish in your eyes because another athlete could have been at the F.O. in her stead? 

4 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Simone Biles is a survivor of sexual abuse. Now she is renowned as the greatest gymnast of all time.

Can you even comprehend the mental strength required for that?

Sure he can because he has faced 'pressure' in his job and in his Sunday League. 🤯

1 minute ago, internationalsfan said:

Fuck off, you don't know the first thing about me you demeaning cunt. Absolutely no need to make this personal. 

I don't.

But you made it personal but assuming you have the right to judge what's going on in Biles's head in regards to the Olympics and her sexual assault she suffered and came forth with. 

I think that it's a fair share that you've never had anything near the amount of pressure she's had, because 99.99% of the world hasn't. 

Maybe you should realize how much of a hypocrite you sound like when you are getting so sensitive when someone calls you out on your B.S. while you are calling out a world famous athlete and abuse survivor on her mental state. 

5 minutes ago, Eco said:

I don't.

But you made it personal but assuming you have the right to judge what's going on in Biles's head in regards to the Olympics and her sexual assault she suffered and came forth with. 

I think that it's a fair share that you've never had anything near the amount of pressure she's had, because 99.99% of the world hasn't. 

Maybe you should realize how much of a hypocrite you sound like when you are getting so sensitive when someone calls you out on your B.S. while you are calling out a world famous athlete and abuse survivor on her mental state. 

In posts which I quickly deleted, realising exactly how dickish the were that you then decided to respond to anyway after I'd removed them and make snide comments about me anyway about. Maybe refresh the fucking page before you go off on a vindictive rant? I'd honestly expect more of a fucking moderator than this? 

If you really cared about Biles insteading of scoring internet points you wouldn't have responded to the deleted posts.... 

Tbh, I feel a bit bad for her because - and I say this as a foreigner living in the US that gives 0 fucks about the Olympics - the amount of pressure she seems to be under from the US media & public is ridiculously high. She's already the record holding Olympian gymnast and she's working under tremendous pressure with the weight of an expectant nation upon her shoulders.

Countries like the US & China, where there's tremendous expectation for athletes to deliver gold medals... I think it's a bit unhealthy what they do to their young athletes tbh. Although I can understand the pressure in things like womens football, where the US has been dominant for what seems like forever, or mens basketball, where I'd expect the US to dominate because they've got the best players in the world. But for things where it's not really a "team" sport (and yes, I know they're in teams... but things like gymnastics it's really the individual competing)... I think the pressure is a bit fucked in some countries.

But I think Biles may have felt some extra pressure to perform after seeing the media/social media reactions to the US losses in womens football and basketball.

Just now, internationalsfan said:

In posts which I quickly deleted, realising exactly how dickish the were that you then decided to respond to anyway after I'd removed them and make snide comments about me anyway about. Maybe refresh the fucking page before you go off on a vindictive rant? I'd honestly expect more of a fucking admin than this? 

Huh? 

I didn't know you deleted and responded to it. Hell, even during my response I went back to re-read your posts, so it wasn't THAT quickly. 

Once I responded, you kept at it, so did you expect me to just make sure you weren't deleting previous posts??

A simple, 'hey mate, i disagree and deleted my post as I'd rather not discuss this' would have sufficed, but again, you went personal. 

Personally, I think it's a good discussion to have about what is selfish in sports now that mental health is becoming more spoken about and dealt with properly, but you went a bit off the rails there with it and I think you were being unfair to someone who was going through more than just sports pressure. 

Regardless, we can leave it there as this has derailed the thread. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived