talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Serie A Bans Green Shirts From 2022/23

https://forzaitalianfootball.com/2021/07/serie-a-to-ban-green-shirts-from-2022-23/

SERIE A TO BAN GREEN SHIRTS FROM 2022/23

The 2021/22 Serie A campaign will be the last time teams will be allowed to wear green jerseys as they will not be able to wear the colour from the season after.

Sassuolo are famous for their home jerseys with green and blacks stripes while Atalanta have recently worn a dark green third jersey and Lazio had a fluorescent green alternative kit but they won’t be permitted to wear them from 2022/23 onwards.

According to Calcio e Finanza, Lega Serie A have released the regulations for the 2021/22 season and Article 2, Paragraph 1 has a regulation that relates to the following campaign.

The ban will apply to outfield shirts, meaning goalkeepers will still be able to wear green.

They are claiming to ban green jerseys for television audiences because do not want viewers to confuse the player jerseys with the colour of the pitch, therefore creating a camouflage.

They believe it will also be beneficial for spectators at stadiums watching the games as well as match officials who can identify players easier.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Yeah, this was mentioned in another thread. 

Silly really, and can't really think of a team that has all green kits in Italy, although my brain is currently fried and I'm on a lack of sleep so I'm sure there is someone big I'm missing. 

Wait - I thought Sassuolo was find because of the black stirpes, but it appears that isn't the case. 

giphy.gif

14 minutes ago, Batard said:

Ridiculous. Imagine Saint Etienne in any colour other than green if that was applied in France. Sacrilege. 

I do think it's a bit fucked to ask sides to change their kits they've been using for (what I'm assuming is) ages. I'd be pissed off if I were a Sassuolo fan.

4 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Imagine having to give up a part of your club's identity so that television viewers can watch a game better. Ridiculous.

Imagine thinking cameras and TVs in 2021 can't display an arrange of greens. It's not fucking 1985 anymore.

@Tommy @Coma @Eco @Dr. Gonzo @Mel81x @Batard

According to this it looks like Viacenza and Sassulo are exempt because it only applies if green is the dominant colour, like Lazio's away kit. Sassuolo wear black shorts and socks so it wouldn't matter to them. The article in OP is sensationalist.

https://www.calcioefinanza.it/2021/07/15/serie-dal-2022-23-vietate-le-divise-di-colore-verde/

10 minutes ago, Spike said:

@Tommy @Coma @Eco @Dr. Gonzo @Mel81x @Batard

According to this it looks like Viacenza and Sassulo are exempt because it only applies if green is the dominant colour, like Lazio's away kit. Sassuolo wear black shorts and socks so it wouldn't matter to them. The article in OP is sensationalist.

https://www.calcioefinanza.it/2021/07/15/serie-dal-2022-23-vietate-le-divise-di-colore-verde/

Yeah that's what I had heard as well, but it wasn't mentioned in the above article. 

5 hours ago, Coma said:

Green kits are all too rare in football so when I see them I take notice.  Off the top of my head only Sassuolo would be affected, and their kits are gorgeous.

Huh? They are fairly common in Germany though. 

Bremen, Wolfsburg, Furth, Gladbach, Hannover, and even Augsburg are known to don a green kit. 

2 minutes ago, Eco said:

Bremen, Wolfsburg, Furth, Gladbach, Hannover, and even Augsburg are known to don a green kit. 

It is rare in the UK because green is associated with goalkeepers.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

It is rare in the UK because green is associated with goalkeepers.

Yeah - but he follows the Bundesliga fairly closely and it's not uncommon there. 

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Spike said:

Imagine thinking cameras and TVs in 2021 can't display an arrange of greens. It's not fucking 1985 anymore.

Yeah thats the part that made no sense to me. Its not like you cant tweak the image in real-time post distribution to the masses live to help them see better. Also, if this is such an issue now how come it hasn't been an issue for all the years they have been wearing those colours? 

On 16/07/2021 at 21:08, Eco said:

You're right about that.  Germany seems to be the exception so I should've clarified.  Thinking of other countries the only teams I can come up with off the top of my head would be Plymouth, Betis, Sassuolo, and St. Etienne.

I can only think of Plymouth Argyle in England. A lower division side. Sponsored by Ginsters.

Can not ever see them being told to change their colours though. Perhaps their sponsor when it's found school kids are bunking off school too often to pig out on cheap pasties.

In Italy, it wouldn't surprise me if an influential someone somewhere has grumbled to the right people. I'm imagining Wolves of the last few years playing in green & Italy's version of a Roy Keane type analysis, losing to them, the new kids, wannabe upstarts not playing for the pride of the J badge.. or something similar..

• Administrator
17 hours ago, Reluctant Striker said:

I can only think of Plymouth Argyle in England. A lower division side. Sponsored by Ginsters.

Can not ever see them being told to change their colours though. Perhaps their sponsor when it's found school kids are bunking off school too often to pig out on cheap pasties.

In Italy, it wouldn't surprise me if an influential someone somewhere has grumbled to the right people. I'm imagining Wolves of the last few years playing in green & Italy's version of a Roy Keane type analysis, losing to them, the new kids, wannabe upstarts not playing for the pride of the J badge.. or something similar..

Their kits tend to be a Jade green rather than bright green. Forest Green however might be impacted by this. 

image.png

• The title was changed to Serie A Bans Green Shirts From 2022/23

Archived