• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to F1 2021
11 minutes ago, Tommy said:

First podium of my young career. 🥲

I constantly have worse laptimes than the guys around me, but my speciality is to stay out of trouble and drive clean races. xD

20220428233401_1.jpg

Ah online is a warzone on that game, I've put so many hours into it but mostly play the career mode against the AI so I at least get fair races xD. I'm the same as you when it comes to speed, consistent top 5 but there's always 1-2 cars that are just a second or so ahead of everyone else.

12 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Ah online is a warzone on that game, I've put so many hours into it but mostly play the career mode against the AI so I at least get fair races xD. I'm the same as you when it comes to speed, consistent top 5 but there's always 1-2 cars that are just a second or so ahead of everyone else.

I only play online. Haven't even touched the single player modus since I got the game. 😅 I think it feels more rewarding to race against other actual pepole. But yea, there are lots of idiots out there. I always play on the servers of two German twitch streamers. There are usually decent people around so it's mostly not too bad. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Yeah I've not heard loads about this but it seems like a really stupid feature. There's so much more they could invest their time into in this game, such as balancing the AI and driver transfers for career mode.

But this is what to expect when EA take over the series. It was getting bad already with them offering stupid shite like podium poses as DLC and unlockables.

I'm giving serious thought to skipping this year's edition and just getting the manager game.

1 hour ago, MUFC said:

And the bastardisation of Codemasters by EA has begun.

Why the fuck are supercars being introduced into a game about.......you know.....Formula 1?

EA (as let's be honest. I highly doubt Codemasters themselves are doing this) putting in this 'F1 Live' bollocks just sums them up really, as I doubt it'll add any value to F1 22 and, considering EA's track history of online components (looking at Sim City 2013 mainly), you probably won't be playing it for too much anyway, especially if they make it a requirement.

For anyone also interested (just because I'm in mini rant mode), here's an article of studios shut by EA and when you read it, you'll generally see one common theme.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/heavy.com/games/2017/10/studios-ea-has-killed-visceral-games/amp/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

Bought this game tonight as I had nothing to do. The driving side of it is fine, different to the old games to reflect the new cars but not better or worse.

Didn't look at the F1 Life or Supercars shite.

Decided to do a race around Bahrain. Pumped in about 10 laps in time trial with a setup off the F1 car setup app I have for this series until I was reasonably happy. There's also a guide on reddit for what difficulty to set the AI depending on your best time in time trial, so I stuck it on 90 and went into the race weekend playing as Yuki Tsunoda.

TL;DR for the rest of this post. If you buy this game for the career mode and you want the races to somewhat resemble actual F1 races, do not buy this game unless they massively update it. The AI are terrible and stupid to the point it just isn't fun.

- Qualifying: seemed alright during Q1 where I put in a scruffy lap and was 0.5s off Gasly but easy top 15. Q2 was a piss take. Came 10th with the top 10 of the leader board looking sensible but somehow all of the five eliminated cars were over a second behind me. I noticed there was a yellow flag at one point but still strange. Q3 I only did one run because I picked up floor damage. Realised the problem. All of the AI cars literally steam out of the pits within 30 seconds of each other, charge around in a big queue, so any fast cars behind slower cars just match the car in front and do slow laps.

- I won't detail the whole race but I finished 10th after a front wing change late in the race. Hit the back of Ricciardo when we went for a wheel to wheel battle and he just stopped on the apex after successfully defending his line.

- I had a battle with Hamilton after he made an early stop. He was over a second a lap faster than me. Three laps in a row he got DRS on me and I didn't fight him. He gets alongside in the braking zone with the inside line, I'm still not fighting him. But because my front wing is sort of alongside his rear wheel coming out of turn one he jerks out of the way completely and lets me back through. This happens twice in a row and costs us both several seconds. The third time around I just let him through as if it was blue flags so he could fuck off.

- I checked after the race. 11 pit stops in a single race for front wing damage. One of them me. Two of them from the first lap. Eight of them just from the AI being stupid with each other while lapping or racing each other or trying to jerk out of each other's way at pit exit. Alonso and Sainz were among the early victims and made inexplicable 4 stop strategies afterward while most just adjusted their 1 stop to a 2 stop.

- There was a series of other mistakes by the AI on the same kerb on that horrible double left hander. Three times early in the race I saw cars go side by side into the corner, the car on the outside mounts the kerb and just jerks away from the track or spins. The same mistake by the AI every time, so more of a glitch than a simulated driver error. Multiple times later in the race I saw yellow flags at the same corner so it kept happening. Later in the race, leading cars would make the mistake trying to lap backmarkers at this corner. It happened right in front of me when I was a lap down after my extra pit stop. Verstappen spun from the lead and Leclerc took the win because of dumb AI lapping behaviour. If I was doing career mode and picked up a win from that it would piss me off because it would feel super cheap.

These issues aren't brand new and have always existed to some extent in this series but based off the first race I've done on this one, the offline racing has taken a big step backward.

If you play F1 for the online aspect then it's probably the same as the rest of the series. If you're a career mode person, you're better off sticking with the old version if you still enjoy it. That is my review of this game. Welcome to the party, EA.

23 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Bought this game tonight as I had nothing to do. The driving side of it is fine, different to the old games to reflect the new cars but not better or worse.

Didn't look at the F1 Life or Supercars shite.

Decided to do a race around Bahrain. Pumped in about 10 laps in time trial with a setup off the F1 car setup app I have for this series until I was reasonably happy. There's also a guide on reddit for what difficulty to set the AI depending on your best time in time trial, so I stuck it on 90 and went into the race weekend playing as Yuki Tsunoda.

TL;DR for the rest of this post. If you buy this game for the career mode and you want the races to somewhat resemble actual F1 races, do not buy this game unless they massively update it. The AI are terrible and stupid to the point it just isn't fun.

- Qualifying: seemed alright during Q1 where I put in a scruffy lap and was 0.5s off Gasly but easy top 15. Q2 was a piss take. Came 10th with the top 10 of the leader board looking sensible but somehow all of the five eliminated cars were over a second behind me. I noticed there was a yellow flag at one point but still strange. Q3 I only did one run because I picked up floor damage. Realised the problem. All of the AI cars literally steam out of the pits within 30 seconds of each other, charge around in a big queue, so any fast cars behind slower cars just match the car in front and do slow laps.

- I won't detail the whole race but I finished 10th after a front wing change late in the race. Hit the back of Ricciardo when we went for a wheel to wheel battle and he just stopped on the apex after successfully defending his line.

- I had a battle with Hamilton after he made an early stop. He was over a second a lap faster than me. Three laps in a row he got DRS on me and I didn't fight him. He gets alongside in the braking zone with the inside line, I'm still not fighting him. But because my front wing is sort of alongside his rear wheel coming out of turn one he jerks out of the way completely and lets me back through. This happens twice in a row and costs us both several seconds. The third time around I just let him through as if it was blue flags so he could fuck off.

- I checked after the race. 11 pit stops in a single race for front wing damage. One of them me. Two of them from the first lap. Eight of them just from the AI being stupid with each other while lapping or racing each other or trying to jerk out of each other's way at pit exit. Alonso and Sainz were among the early victims and made inexplicable 4 stop strategies afterward while most just adjusted their 1 stop to a 2 stop.

- There was a series of other mistakes by the AI on the same kerb on that horrible double left hander. Three times early in the race I saw cars go side by side into the corner, the car on the outside mounts the kerb and just jerks away from the track or spins. The same mistake by the AI every time, so more of a glitch than a simulated driver error. Multiple times later in the race I saw yellow flags at the same corner so it kept happening. Later in the race, leading cars would make the mistake trying to lap backmarkers at this corner. It happened right in front of me when I was a lap down after my extra pit stop. Verstappen spun from the lead and Leclerc took the win because of dumb AI lapping behaviour. If I was doing career mode and picked up a win from that it would piss me off because it would feel super cheap.

These issues aren't brand new and have always existed to some extent in this series but based off the first race I've done on this one, the offline racing has taken a big step backward.

If you play F1 for the online aspect then it's probably the same as the rest of the series. If you're a career mode person, you're better off sticking with the old version if you still enjoy it. That is my review of this game. Welcome to the party, EA.

Your war with the games AI continues. Giving it a miss this year. Doing all 3 practice sessions with the race programs, qualy and the actual race. Just a single weekend is too time consuming for me at the minute. I'll be passing on it this year.

Archived