• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Hungarian GP - 30th July -1st August

football forum

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Remember when Hungary was viewed as one of the worst races? Can't remember the last bad Hungarian Grand Prix. That one really took the piss. Brilliant. The Alonso Hamilton battle was one of the highlights of the last few years. People bum overtaking but there's a real art to great defensive driving that I actually think is more impressive than getting an overtake done. We've lost a lot of those battles due to DRS making overtaking easy on most tracks and midfield teams becoming overly conservative and flat-out letting faster cars past them without a fight to maximise their own race. Today we saw the perfect cocktail of DRS actually working as it should, allowing the car behind to keep up but still having to work to get the overtake done, Hamilton on one of his trademark hard charges and Alonso, who is the best current driver by far at putting his car in all the right places while skirting the line between what's allowed and what isn't.

I'll maintain that Hamilton and Mercedes are lucky to be leading both championships. Hamilton drove brilliantly today as he has all season, and as Max has as well. They're both going to get the maximum out of the car on basically every lap and the difference is going to be on who makes more mistakes. You'd think given their relative experience that it would be Max but it really hasn't. Some people have been trying to establish a narrative following the Silverstone incident that Max should have been more careful but all sane analysis that I've seen has pretty much agreed that, at worse, it was a 50/50 incident where Max and Red Bull ultimately took all of the damage in terms of championship points. Outside of that incident, Lewis made major mistakes in Imola and Baku as I described earlier. Nobody can really point to a big mistake by Verstappen. 

• Subscriber

It's not letting me post the second half of it and I don't know why. No naughty words in there and I can't even screenshot the rest of the post because I have a new phone and I'm too lazy to look up how. 👎

• Subscriber
31 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I think there are several drivers on the grid who could have done that in that car. 

I strongly disagree. And I’m sure more people here will agree with you than they do me. But ah well :)

• Subscriber
44 minutes ago, Tommy said:

❤️

This is amazing btw, probably my favourite thing about the whole race. Huge for Williams and for the sport, even if the circumstances helped them massively they both drove superbly 

• Subscriber

Can I just ask how Raikkonen only got a 10 second penalty for an unsafe release that literally took another driver out of the race, and Bottas only gets a 5 place grid penalty for taking two cars out of the race and heavily damaging another? 

But nah apparently the stewards are now more interested post race in pulling up Vettel and other drivers for wearing the wrong t-shirt during the Hungarian national anthem in support of LGBT+ rights, and then Ocon has to go and see them for leaving his car at the end of the pitlane.

Bore the fuck off.

• Subscriber
52 minutes ago, Stan said:

Pretty sure plenty of other drivers have done that before.

On the current grid, I think Kimi stand outs with the number of comebacks during the race.  Just to name a few most impressive ones:

Australia 2003 - pitlane to P3
Suzuka 2005 - P17 to P1
Bahrain 2006 - P22 to P3
Fuji 2007 - P22 to P3

The comeback drives used to be even more impressive when there was no DRS though. I'm currently in 1983 season of F1 historical races, and the US GP West was a fantastic watch. John Watson and Niki Lauda started from P22 and P23 respectively, and finished at P1 and P2 xD 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Lewis is dizzy and ill they saying.

Yeah he didn't look well there on the podium. Confused, dizzy and disoriented. Sounded a bit confused numerous times on the radio during the race as well?

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, nudge said:

Yeah he didn't look well there on the podium. Confused, dizzy and disoriented. Sounded a bit confused numerous times on the radio during the race as well?

He's always confused on the radio 🤣

29 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

God, I love this kid. This is also amazing:

1 hour ago, Whiskey said:

Apparently Lewis is still suffering from the long term effects of Covid.

Shit. I was really worried about him on the podium. Thought he was going to pass out any second. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived