talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Atlanta United Dismisses Gabriel Heinze After 17 Games

football forum

Atlanta United dismisses Gabriel Heinze as coach after 17 games

Gabriel Heinze has been relieved of his duties as Atlanta United FC head coach, the club announced Sunday.

Heinze did not make through one season with Atlanta after being hired in December 2020, finishing his time with a 2-4-7 league record. He went 2-1-1 with Atlanta during CONCACAF Champions League play.

The team is on an eight-game winless streak in Major League Soccer, the club's longest since joining MLS in 2017.

Assistant coach Rob Valentino will take over as interim head coach with the club saying in a statement "a variety of issues relating to the day-to-day leadership of the team led the club to this decision."

- ESPN+: MLS chat and more on ESPN FC Daily (U.S. only)

"This was certainly not a decision we wanted to make at this point in our season, but it was the right one for the club," Atlanta United president Darren Eales said in a statement. "Gabi is a talented coach and is undeniably passionate about his craft and the sport of soccer. We are grateful to him for his service; and wish him all the best in the future."

https://www.espn.com/soccer/atlanta-united-fc/story/4434807/atlanta-united-dismisses-gabriel-heinze-as-coach

Wow. Just wow.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Whiskey - One of the early names being mentioned to replace Heinze is Gallardo at River Plate. 

That person we got from River Plate was a complete flop (Pity Martinez), so I'm not sure about this one, but reports are that he is considered one of the best in South America. 

Any thoughts? 

12 hours ago, Eco said:

@Whiskey - One of the early names being mentioned to replace Heinze is Gallardo at River Plate. 

That person we got from River Plate was a complete flop (Pity Martinez), so I'm not sure about this one, but reports are that he is considered one of the best in South America. 

Any thoughts? 

Would Gallardo move to MLS though? Has been linked with some top jobs in Spain and Italy, and can't imagine he'd progress himself too much in America, if he wanted to coach outside of South America.

51 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Would Gallardo move to MLS though? Has been linked with some top jobs in Spain and Italy, and can't imagine he'd progress himself too much in America, if he wanted to coach outside of South America.

Maybe, I was just looking at the early lists, and surely we aren't the worst stepping stone in the world, as our first manager had raging success and got the job at the Mexican NT. We also have a ton of South American talent so it's only naturally for us to continue to look there for our next manager, and I'm guessing Gallardo is the biggest and best in South America at the moment so that's why his name is getting thrown around, even if it's unlikely he'll come here. 

Gallardo is the best coach in South America. 

It would be a great signing for Atlanta, but I feel like he would only leave River for the Argentina NT or to an european giant, considering the prestige and the ammount of power he has at River. 

Having said that, Atlanta should at least try to poach him. I mean, the prospect of living in the US and earning in US dollar is also very appealing. I´d pick Atlanta any day over the likes of Sevilla or Valencia. Great stadium and fanbase, a league that is growing, a chance to win the title and a nice place to live. 

• The title was changed to Atlanta United Dismisses Gabriel Heinze After 17 Games

Archived