The better place to talk football.

Cheick Tiote Passes Away Aged 30

football forum

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
Just now, Toony said:

I'm still holding out hope that this may not be true although BBC and Daily Mirror have picked it up now. 30 years old. :( 

probably picking up on the same stories we've seen from one account in China.

still awaiting something official... 

• The title was changed to Cheik Tiote Passes Away Aged 30

His wife is pregnant and the baby is due this week. 

This is terrible.

:(:(:(:(:(:(

My ringtone for 2 years was our local radio commentator screaming his name after he scored to equalise in the 4-4 against Arsenal.

A beast of a player easily worth £25m+ at the height of his game.

Tio-Tio-Tiote! Tiote! Tiote! Tio-Tio-Tiote! Tio-Tiote!

RIP 

I remember a thumping goal he scored against Man City as well which was wrongly ruled out for offside, the whole of St. James' Park spent the rest of the game in bitter anger at the officials.

He was an incredible tackler, in his pomp you just couldn't beat him. Flicks and tricks and skills never fazed him. 

His career went down hill early, he had injury problems, he got into trouble with the law over driving without insurance, he had personal life problems with his decision to have two wives. It's a great shame to hear that just as he was about to become a father it all ends for him as he was obviously putting things right. :(

Fucking hell. I know I'm busy but this stuck me quite badly. I remember having huge respect for Chieck and really liking him as a player and as a person. Thirty is far too young to die and for such a player to go this young is horrible. It doesn't fill me with hope for my future and just proves that we could go at any time.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Cure said:

Fucking hell. I know I'm busy but this stuck me quite badly. I remember having huge respect for Chieck and really liking him as a player and as a person. Thirty is far too young to die and for such a player to go this young is horrible. It doesn't fill me with hope for my future and just proves that we could go at any time.

last sentence is a bit odd. 

true that we can go at any time, so live as well as you can for the time you have here. it shouldn't put you off your hopes for your future. 

That equaliser against Arsenal was special and subsequently the fans shouting shoot at him for the next 5 years every time he got the ball in the opposition half.

It just doesn't sit right with me, can't get my head around it. He was in and around our first team 4 months ago.

• Subscriber

Terribly sad news indeed. I remember him having a cracking game against us and the Toon drawing as a result. Great athleticism, you'd never think the guy would have gone this way. RIP.

Archived