• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2. Bundesliga 2021/22 - [1. Spieltag] - 23-25th July, 2021

football forum

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Just awful. No excuses, with most of the last season's players still in the squad, we should have won it - instead, Hannover was the better team and we're lucky to get a draw today. I do think a lot of it is psychological, but it's so frustrating to see the same shit like in the last few years.

Just now, nudge said:

Just awful. No excuses, with most of the last season's players still in the squad, we should have won it - instead, Hannover was the better team and we're lucky to get a draw today. I do think a lot of it is psychological, but it's so frustrating to see the same shit like in the last few years.

Yeah - like I said, disappointing first weeks from both Schalke and Bremen. 

I can only suspect that it'll get much better as the season progresses. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Eco said:

Schalke looked much better, imo. Just unlucky Heuer Fernandes had a great day, and then HSV caught them on the break.

We looked alright for 15 minutes, and then just switched back to the usual "I don't know what to do, let's just pass the ball aimlessly until we lose it" mentality. 

2 minutes ago, Eco said:

Wouldn't bet on it, the difference in quality between the second half of Buli and the most teams in 2.Liga is really not too pronounced.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Wouldn't bet on it, the difference in quality between the second half of Buli and the most teams in 2.Liga is really not too pronounced.

Also worth considering that we'll sell at least 3-4 first team regulars before the transfer market closes. Surely that won't make us any better ... 😔

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Schalke looked much better, imo. Just unlucky Heuer Fernandes had a great day, and then HSV caught them on the break.

We looked alright for 15 minutes, and then just switched back to the usual "I don't know what to do, let's just pass the ball aimlessly until we lose it" mentality. 

I'd agree with that but since I do fancy Schalke, I was trying to avoid being baised. 

Schalke looked like they suffered from poor tactics. Bremen was poor quality. One is fixable in a week or two, the other not so much. Bremen were lucky for a point today and I do hope that they do improve. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Eco said:

I'd agree with that but since I do fancy Schalke, I was trying to avoid being baised. 

Schalke looked like they suffered from poor tactics. Bremen was poor quality. One is fixable in a week or two, the other not so much. Bremen were lucky for a point today and I do hope that they do improve. 

I'd say we suffered from poor tactics as well. I know I mentioned it before, but why in the world would you play a system with two wingers if you don't have a single winger in the squad? Just doesn't make any sense. 

Also players like Toprak, Eggestein, Osako, Sargent, Füllkrug, Schmid have more than enough quality for the 2. Liga. It honestly baffles me.

Both Schalke and Bremen were happy to give up possession and let their opponents play out their game plan. As a club coming down from the Bundesliga you have to want the ball and dictate play. Flex your muscles. Both clubs just looked lost.

Just now, nudge said:

I'd say we suffered from poor tactics as well. I know I mentioned it before, but why in the world would you play a system with two wingers if you don't have a single winger in the squad? Just doesn't make any sense. 

Also players like Toprak, Eggestein, Osako, Sargent, Füllkrug, Schmid have more than enough quality for the 2. Liga. It honestly baffles me.

All true, but Schalke was more of a self inflicted issue where they sat back and just allowed so much space to a team that thrives on possession. 

Bremen looked off, like what you'd expect for a first preseason game or something, maybe it's tactics..

7 minutes ago, nudge said:

Also worth considering that we'll sell at least 3-4 first team regulars before the transfer market closes. Surely that won't make us any better ... 😔

Well, perhaps you also attract a few players, perhaps from foreign leagues or rivals. Werder are still a reknown and honoured club in my books. [Insert encouraging symbol]

1 minute ago, Coma said:

Both Schalke and Bremen were happy to give up possession and let their opponents play out their game plan. As a club coming down from the Bundesliga you have to want the ball and dictate play. Flex your muscles. Both clubs just looked lost.

Both clubs also played other big clubs. HSV and Hannover are two bigger clubs, so hopefully we will see that 'flex' when they go on to play some of the smaller teams. 

Just now, Eco said:

Both clubs also played other big clubs. HSV and Hannover are two bigger clubs, so hopefully we will see that 'flex' when they go on to play some of the smaller teams. 

I get that, but I'd also say HSV and Hannover have been wallowing in the zweite for awhile now. Hamburg are in cost cutting mode and Hannover have been balls for a few years now.  Even matches against sma.ller clubs like Aue and Sandhausen are going to be "cup finals". Bremen and Schalke need to come out and punch them in the mouth. Instead they both dropped back and defended for 90 minutes. There's no intimidation in that style.

19 minutes ago, Eco said:

Hate to pour water in your wine, still Hannover finished 13th last season, and are no favorites this year either. From this point of view this big club talking is misleading. I'm exagerating willingly here, but Kaiserslautern are a bigger club than RB Leipzig, that doesn't make them the better team out of these two, though.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Well, perhaps you also attract a few players, perhaps from foreign leagues or rivals. Werder are still a reknown and honoured club in my books. [Insert encouraging symbol]

(ง ° ͜ ʖ °)ง

8 minutes ago, Eco said:

I'd also add that there are a number of big clubs in this division now. It ain't gonna get any easier.

Another point... Half of Bremen's starters are supposedly transfer-listed. I don't understand why they are playing. Build the team around those that are staying and send a message to the rest that the club wants to start fresh with hungry players that want to fight for the shirt.

• Subscriber
Just now, Coma said:

Another point... Half of Bremen's starters are supposedly transfer-listed. I don't understand why they are playing. Build the team around those that are staying and send a message to the rest that the club wants to start fresh with hungry players that want to fight for the shirt.

Well that's the point, nobody knows who's staying and who's leaving at this point. None of the players are transfer-listed, by the way. Augustinsson is the only one who openly expressed how desperate he is to leave, and he wasn't in the squad today. The status of the rest is uncertain. Quite a few players  said they would not mind staying, but they are aware that the club might sell them because of the financial situation. Baumann expects another 15-20 transfers before the transfer window closes. There's so much uncertainty, nobody knows how the team will look like in early September.

Expected more of Bremen tonight to be honest. They were lucky in the 2nd half. Ducksch alone had so many chances. 

Anyway, really looking forward to our match tomorrow. Exciting times with the Christian Preußer at the helm. I have been very impressed from what I've seen in interviews and press conferences. You can tell that he learned a lot from Christian Streich at Freiburg. Hopefully it'll show on the pitch as well. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived