talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Peer Pressure/Following the Crowd

football forum

Something most of us will have done during our teenage years. Is there anything you did when younger, simply because everyone within your circle was doing it? During my teen years, there were quite a few cannabis lovers in my group. I didn't particularly like it as I felt that due to it's affect of monging you out. It potentially could ruin your night most of the time. I'd just take a drag or 2 from each spliff, but it was enough to make me light headed. Something I did as everyone else was carrying it out.

What about the rest of you? 

• The title was changed to Peer Pressure/Following the Crowd
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Devil said:

I smoked for a short period but just didn't enjoy it at all, glad I kicked the habit early because I was only doing it through peer pressure. 

Same here, was for around 3 years. On a couple of occasion I was vomiting 🤣

• Subscriber

Back in my days smoking was the big thing then, follow the crowd and whatnot, I can remember going around my mates with the wife for a drink as he only lived 2 streets up from us and I was half pissed when we got there and carried on drinking until I got absolutely sozzled, plus he was smoking a joint and apparently I smoked one when we left it took the wife half-an-hour to drag me home as I was staggering all over the place.

I had to work the next day and I woke up with a raging headache plus the wife was giving me jip for smoking the joint and getting legless, when I saw my mate at work he said he was pissing himself laughing at me smoking the joint, never again, have not touched a joint since then and that was 1992 and I have stopped smoking for 4 years come this December. : )

45 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Same here, was for around 3 years. On a couple of occasion I was vomiting 🤣

Mental really when you look back, why did we think it was the thing to do.

I also didn't really get into weed either. Because I never really got into it I'd throw major whiteys whenever I'd try a little bit. I remember once I'd finished playing football for a team I was playing for an this lad from Moss side offered me a lift home, he pulled out this big joint and offered me some, I didn't want any but felt peer pressure and smoked a bit. Whilst smoking it he actually said take it easy that stuffs lethal. 

I ended up asking him to drop me about a mile from my house because my head had just totally gone, that mile long walk home felt like it took me 2 hours. I walked straight through the door and went straight up the stairs, my mum said your tea is in the microwave. 3 hours later I woke and went down for me tea, my mum was about to chuck it in the bin, I can remember her saying what the hell was wrong with you earlier, you looked terrible. 

I probably was a bit more of a slut because my friends were and I just figured that was the way it was being a 'guy' and all. Not my best years for sure. 

I tried out Catholicism and christianity while in college because it was just everywhere and I wanted to make friends as I wasn't near my hometown. 

Certainly beer, liquor, and coffee.  Which are 3 drinks I don't think anyone actually 'enjoys' when they first try it, but over time develop a taste for it. 

And in most philosophical way, I'm sure a lot of my personality is just masking those around me and what I think makes people successful and likable. I imagine that if was born on Mars and came here as a fully developed male, I'd be confused AF as to why people do some of the things they do. 

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Eco said:

Certainly beer, liquor, and coffee.  Which are 3 drinks I don't think anyone actually 'enjoys' when they first try it, but over time develop a taste for it. 

I drank coffee since I was a kid... Loved it from the very first try. Same with beer (well I didn't drink it since I was a kid, contrary to what some people might think). Agree with liquor though. 

24 minutes ago, nudge said:

I drank coffee since I was a kid... Loved it from the very first try. Same with beer (well I didn't drink it since I was a kid, contrary to what some people might think). Agree with liquor though. 

I'd say you are in rare company. I drink black coffee, and always have, but enjoyed the effects early, and then loved the taste. 

Same with beer really. 

7 minutes ago, Eco said:

I'd say you are in rare company. I drink black coffee, and always have, but enjoyed the effects early, and then loved the taste. 

Same with beer really. 

I only drink black coffee myself but it took me years to decide that's how I like it. I'd have two sugars and milk in the early days then I gave up the sugar and eventually decided without milk was more to my taste. 

I like Nudge enjoyed beer fairly early, I remember having the odd beer with my dad and uncle from a fairly young age. 

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, Eco said:

Same with beer really. 

2 minutes ago, Devil said:

I only drink black coffee myself but it took me years to decide that's how I like it. I'd have two sugars and milk in the early days then I gave up the sugar and eventually decided without milk was more to my taste. 

I like Nudge enjoyed beer fairly early, I remember having the odd beer with my dad and uncle from a fairly young age. 

I absolutely adore coffee; started drinking it regularly when I was maybe around 12-13 years old, black and strong, no milk or sugar. At least 2 cups a day, later  went a bit overboard with it and was drinking 5-6 cups a day at work. Which in hindsight wasn't such a great idea, and so when I turned 30, around the same time I also developed a massive caffeine intolerance. Once had such a bad reaction to it after having a cup for breakfast in a hotel that I thought I was actually dying (>_<) Scary shit. So reluctantly had to quit it, and these days I only drink a capuccino every once in a while, or a decaf. Meh. 

If I ever develop a similar intolerance to beer one day, then please just put me out of my misery... 

11 minutes ago, nudge said:

I absolutely adore coffee; started drinking it regularly when I was maybe around 12-13 years old, black and strong, no milk or sugar. At least 2 cups a day, later  went a bit overboard with it and was drinking 5-6 cups a day at work. Which in hindsight wasn't such a great idea, and so when I turned 30, around the same time I also developed a massive caffeine intolerance. Once had such a bad reaction to it after having a cup for breakfast in a hotel that I thought I was actually dying (>_<) Scary shit. So reluctantly had to quit it, and these days I only drink a capuccino every once in a while, or a decaf. Meh. 

If I ever develop a similar intolerance to beer one day, then please just put me out of my misery... 

I've never heard of a caffeine intolerance but I'm truly sorry to hear that. 

My coffee maker holds 10 cups, so I drink about 10 cups a day. Sometimes I'll add an extra 5 for good measure. 

Probably not the best, but it tastes so good, so maybe decaf should be something I look into....

(insert gif of white male shrugging as if he isn't sure what do to)

*Good luck with that one nudge*

14 minutes ago, nudge said:

My usual holiday routine, wake up and go down for breakfast. Three espresso coffee's to kick off the day after a few adult beverages the night before. 

That makes me feel alive again. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Eco said:

My coffee maker holds 10 cups, so I drink about 10 cups a day. Sometimes I'll add an extra 5 for good measure. 

Probably not the best, but it tastes so good, so maybe decaf should be something I look into....

¯\_( ͠° ͟ʖ °͠ )_/¯

Suppose sex can be the biggest peer pressure when younger, especially with girls I suppose as they feel the pressure. 

My actual first time was when I was 14 years of age, a girl from the year above fancied me for ages and she literally asked me to have sex with her in the local park after the Friday night youth club party (Finished at 8pm)

Didn't have a clue what I was doing and in reality I just wanted to back out but I had the pressure of my mates knowing and her mates knowing so not getting involved would have resulted in all sorts of weird rumours at school. As it happens actually doing it caused even more rumours at school as it spread like wildfire around the year, the lads were patting me on the back like I'd just returned from war and the girls all looked at me in disgust for sleeping with the school bike.

Needless to say it got back to one of the teachers who grilled me in the office and contacted both of our parents, we both just fully denied it claimed it was a stupid rumour. She wasn't allowed out for a long while and I was once spotted near her house by her dad so he chased me in his car and made threats to kill. 

Fully justified as well, being the father of two girls now I think I did well to come out of it without a slap around the head off her dad. 

• Subscriber

Once upon a time, I would drink coffee or tea with 3 teaspoons of sugar but I weened myself off that and can't stand it in the latter mentioned, we went around the wife's sisters a few years back and she made me a coffee, I took a great big sip then spat it back into the cup, she had only given me her hubbies coffee by mistake and he takes bloody 4 teaspoons of sugar in it, yuk. 

46 minutes ago, Devil said:

Suppose sex can be the biggest peer pressure when younger, especially with girls I suppose as they feel the pressure. 

My actual first time was when I was 14 years of age, a girl from the year above fancied me for ages and she literally asked me to have sex with her in the local park after the Friday night youth club party (Finished at 8pm)

Magical. Like a scene from a Shakespeare romance.

On 22/07/2021 at 21:28, Eco said:

My lord! 10 cups! Would put me in hospital. 

Love coffee though - pretty much always have it black. 

As for the title, I can’t really think of anything except maybe first starting to drink at 17… (I was late compared to so many friends as I really wasn’t interested and was focussed on football and other stuff). 

• Subscriber

Genuinely cannot remember doing anything for peer pressure. I'm a stubborn cunt so tend to do the exact opposite of the crowd. I once got kicked out of a house party at 15 and then jumped... (beaten up) whilst leaving off people older than me.  They got pills out and i said no i don't want them, then fell out with them for trying to force them on me. To this day I've never taken pills... or seen the people.  

Archived