• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Men's Olympic Football - Tokyo 2020

football forum

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, nudge said:

Well this is what happens when you have a pretty much meaningless tournament right before the new league season... Nobody wants to play and risk it. Stefan Kuntz made a list of 100 players and called them all, only 18 agreed to go or were allowed to go - so they didn't even manage to get a full squad of 22 players...

I don't even think football should be an olympic sport tbh. Futsal maybe, but not football - we've got enough tournaments and the interest in Olympic football, imo, is pretty low.

• Subscriber
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't even think football should be an olympic sport tbh. Futsal maybe, but not football - we've got enough tournaments and the interest in Olympic football, imo, is pretty low.

Either that, or it should be strictly for amateurs and semi-pros only. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Pub league players only would be cool

It's probably a fairly unpopular opinion, but I enjoyed the Olympics much more when it was a purely amateur affair. For me, it caught the essence of sport and sporting values, and was the celebration of that.

• Subscriber

True that there was more excitement watching some young lady/gent who was given time off work, school or even college to go to the Olympics, you look at some of the football players in the Olympic format, today, some of them earn a mint for the club that they play for, me and the wife would love watching the Olympics years ago for the sake of the latter mentioned but we hardly watch them nowadays when they are on.

2 hours ago, nudge said:

It's probably a fairly unpopular opinion, but I enjoyed the Olympics much more when it was a purely amateur affair. For me, it caught the essence of sport and sporting values, and was the celebration of that.

When was this? 1960?

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

Ummm, it all changed in late 80s - early 90s, depending on the federation and sporting discipline. 

True I knew it was amateur for a very long time and I agree with you to some extent. Imagine that now though, it’s a bit hard to unfortunately. 

5 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

The more Mikey mouse the tournament, the harder Australia go. 

I was going to make a South Africa joke, crashing out without scoring a goal but you probably don't support them in football !?

5 hours ago, Khan of TF365 said:

I was going to make a South Africa joke, crashing out without scoring a goal but you probably don't support them in football !?

No idea what you’re on about 

11 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

The more Mikey mouse the tournament, the harder Australia go. 

Well I get it’s not huge for football but every side there is playing to win, and it’s arguably gonna be the biggest tournament for so many of the footballers that they’ll play in so I honestly really do not understand your comment.

12 hours ago, Toinho said:

Well I get it’s not huge for football but every side there is playing to win, and it’s arguably gonna be the biggest tournament for so many of the footballers that they’ll play in so I honestly really do not understand your comment.

Look at the list of podiums, some nothing teams there at times, and as mentioned, Germany didn't even field a full team. Its a nothing tournament 

1 hour ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Look at the list of podiums, some nothing teams there at times, and as mentioned, Germany didn't even field a full team. Its a nothing tournament 

Perhaps COVID has affected it this time.

• Administrator

Germany losing to Ivory Coast. 

At the moment, Ivory Coast top the table. Brazil drawing with Saudi Arabia. Germany need to win to qualify. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived