talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Xherdan Shaqiri Leaves Liverpool for Lyon

Xherdan Shaqiri: “I told Liverpool board I feel ready for a new challenge. They accepted my decision and will now consider bids to sell me. Liverpool won’t stop me this summer”, he told CorSport. 🔴 #LFC

“I’d love to come back to Italy, and I’d like to play for Lazio”, he added. - Fabrizio Romano

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to play for Lazio, what a strange thing for a player to say. Surely they must be interested in signing him if he's making statements like that to the media. 

No disrespect to Lazio but it wouldn't be the first side you'd say you'd like to play for in Italy would it. 

53 minutes ago, Devil said:

I'd like to play for Lazio, what a strange thing for a player to say. Surely they must be interested in signing him if he's making statements like that to the media. 

No disrespect to Lazio but it wouldn't be the first side you'd say you'd like to play for in Italy would it. 

They're one of the club's that he's been linked with

Interest in Xherdan Shaqiri expected to ramp up this week. 

Sevilla, Villarreal, Lazio and Napoli among clubs to express interest. Liverpool ready to do business at the right price.

#LFC

7 hours ago, Devil said:

They've been linked with him lately - I think he's been made available since the season ended tbh, and his agent has probably been putting feelers out trying to get other clubs interested.

I like Shaqiri - I think he's clearly got quality in him, but I do think the time is right for him to move on. He's good - but I think as backup for our front 3/Jota he's maybe a bit too far behind them in quality to be relied on to do as good of a job. Or if his quality isn't the issue, I guess his playstyle is just a bit too different to fit in as a like-for-like replacement in how we typically play. I also think at this stage of his career, probably getting more regular football is what's best for him. And unlike the last time he took a "step down" in clubs to play more regularly, Lazio are a bit more of an interesting prospect than being the main man at Stoke.

I think it's important to shift him and Origi out - to open up some non-homegrown spaces for some much needed signings to address our depth up front. Our relative lack of action makes me wonder if perhaps Minamino is going to be considered again for front 3 depth.

14 minutes ago, Cicero said:

The Italian clubs are skint so you'd assume it be a loan with an option/obligation to buy. 

Dunno how well that will fly with FSG trying to make it out like we're the most skint club out there

• The title was changed to Xherdan Shaqiri - Wants to Leave Liverpool for Lazio
  • 2 weeks later...

It makes sense to me he'd want out now, at 29.

He's done a good few years in the Premier League with Stoke & Liverpool. Won a league title. Had played for Bayern & Inter before Stoke signed him. I remember it seemed quite the coup for Stoke at the time. And I'm sure there are a few sides around Europe that would still get the Stoke style excitement from signing him.

1 minute ago, Reluctant Striker said:

It makes sense to me he'd want out now, at 29.

He's done a good few years in the Premier League with Stoke & Liverpool. Won a league title. Had played for Bayern & Inter before Stoke signed him. I remember it seemed quite the coup for Stoke at the time. And I'm sure there are a few sides around Europe that would still get the Stoke style excitement from signing him.

I think he's now won league titles at Bayern, Liverpool... and maybe (but I don't think so) Inter. And 2 European cups. And he gave us some good moments as a squad player in his few seasons here - scoring a brace against United and getting Mourinho sacked sort of made him a cult hero with us - but him stepping in for Salah against Barcelona sort of solidified his cult hero status. I absolutely wouldn't begrudge him getting a move where he gets to play more regularly.

I do like him, and he does give us something different when he's fully fit and in the swing of things... but I do think we'd maybe want someone a bit "less different" as a backup, so if we need to rely on him we won't have to change so much about how we play (as an attacking midfielder centrally, he sort of requires us having 2 holding players & as a winger, well he just doesn't have the pace that Salah and Mane have so it changes how we play quite a bit).

Hope he goes somewhere where he gets plenty of time on the pitch so he can score some fucking bangers wherever he goes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Xherdan Shaqiri Leaves Liverpool for Lyon

Archived