• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Sardar Azmoun to Join Leverkusen in Summer

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
15 minutes ago, nudge said:

Think he's a direct replacement for Alario, although it will probably be hard to keep Schick, too. Imagine Azmoun AND Schick upfront, with Wirtz behind them and Diaby on the wing...  

I wonder if Wirtz will get plucked by a bigger club...

2 hours ago, Tommy said:

Impressive stats at Zenit. :o Are Leverkusen expecting Schick to leave?

He’s a very good player - creative and a good goal scorer.

I think he’s making a step up because it’s a much tougher league imo, so I hope he does well

• Subscriber
On 22/01/2022 at 11:42, nudge said:

Think it's just a question of time...

This is probably the answer on both Wirtz and Schick unfortunately. I feel kinda off admitting it but its the most Leverkussen matches ive watched in years, their just a fun team to watch.

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

This is probably the answer on both Wirtz and Schick unfortunately. I feel kinda off admitting it but its the most Leverkussen matches ive watched in years, their just a fun team to watch.

Yeah, I kinda have this general image of Leverkusen in my mind where they are closely associated with entertaining, attacking football in the last few decades. Soane is surely doing a great job so far...

I think Wirtz' dad said that he wants his son to remain at Leverkusen for at least 2-3 more years if I remember correctly. 

And yes, I share the sentiment that they are just a joy to watch at times. The kind of team you'd turn on the TV for on a Sunday evening just to be entertained. 

Here's one more person enjoying their football since many years, It's indeed a bit sad their only have won 1 DFB-Pokal and 1 Uefa cup in their history of more than 30 years of attractive football. Mentioning this time as I'd even go as far to say they always played football that's pleasing on the eyes since Rinus Michels was their manager.

I'm very glad to hear he's joining a club that plays pretty football. Should be good for him assuming he can adapt to the Bundesliga.

And what's good for him should theoretically be good for the national team if he does adapt. And he's already so very important for the Iran team - there's a lot of debate amongst Iran fans over who's better: him or Taremi... and I think both are really really good, but imo Azmoun's the best player our national team has right now. And now that he's playing in a bigger league than Russia's (no offense to Russia), maybe he'll get a bit more recognition from Iran fans that seem to think if you don't play in Western Europe than you are complete dogshit.

Anyway, here's a hype video:

I wonder if they'll spell his name right on the back of his kit in Germany or if they'll do what they did when Russia played in Europe and put "Serdar" on the back of his shirt instead of Sardar. Cos I hate that xD

24 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm very glad to hear he's joining a club that plays pretty football. Should be good for him assuming he can adapt to the Bundesliga.

And what's good for him should theoretically be good for the national team if he does adapt. And he's already so very important for the Iran team - there's a lot of debate amongst Iran fans over who's better: him or Taremi... and I think both are really really good, but imo Azmoun's the best player our national team has right now. And now that he's playing in a bigger league than Russia's (no offense to Russia), maybe he'll get a bit more recognition from Iran fans that seem to think if you don't play in Western Europe than you are complete dogshit.

Anyway, here's a hype video:

I wonder if they'll spell his name right on the back of his kit in Germany or if they'll do what they did when Russia played in Europe and put "Serdar" on the back of his shirt instead of Sardar. Cos I hate that xD

Well, his name Azmoun isn't that hard to spell.xD

5 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Well, his name Azmoun isn't that hard to spell.xD

He likes using his first name on the back of his shirt - with Iran & at Zenit. I dunno about when he was at Sepahan or Ruben Kazan, but I suspect it was the same.

But in Europe with Zenit on the back of his kit they put Serdar instead of Sardar & I’ve never understood why. When he plays with Iran it’s Sardar, which is how his names pronounced.

44 minutes ago, Devil said:

The Iranian Messi, didn't he play for Rostov the year we won the Europa.

Didn't do much in that game to be fair.

I've never understood why some people call him "the Iranian Messi" - he's a good player but he plays nothing like Messi. He's a bit closer to Ibrahimovic if we were to compare him to someone world class - but he's never done it at anywhere near as high of a level as Ibra, obviously. I think maybe the Messi comparisons might be a result of when he came through the Iran youth program - he was initially played as an attacking midfielder and he looked very good for someone his age...

...but he's much better as a striker than an attacking midfielder - he ends up creating more as a striker and he's got really great movement in the box and good finishing ability (he's probably the best finisher in the Iran side, Taremi's close but he's much more wasteful imo).

What year was it you won the Europa? I think he was at Rostov for 2 years, but I don't remember which ones. I think his first year, not so impressive compared to his second year there (where the form he showed got him his move to Zenit, where he's been brilliant).

10 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I've never understood why some people call him "the Iranian Messi" - he's a good player but he plays nothing like Messi. He's a bit closer to Ibrahimovic if we were to compare him to someone world class - but he's never done it at anywhere near as high of a level as Ibra, obviously. I think maybe the Messi comparisons might be a result of when he came through the Iran youth program - he was initially played as an attacking midfielder and he looked very good for someone his age...

...but he's much better as a striker than an attacking midfielder - he ends up creating more as a striker and he's got really great movement in the box and good finishing ability (he's probably the best finisher in the Iran side, Taremi's close but he's much more wasteful imo).

What year was it you won the Europa? I think he was at Rostov for 2 years, but I don't remember which ones. I think his first year, not so impressive compared to his second year there (where the form he showed got him his move to Zenit, where he's been brilliant).

Just now, Devil said:

Oh I think that was a pretty decent year for him with them - that's when he started getting linked with bigger clubs in bigger leagues (even with us, which would have been cool) before eventually joining Zenit, which I think was the right move for him because he's really pushed on as a player there and a move somewhere bigger at that time might have been a bit too soon.

It wasn't really until he was with Zenit that he was more lethal in front of goal. He was more known for being a creative striker than someone as clinical.

I really hope he can take that form from Zenit and perform at a similar level at Leverkusen - from my perspective it would be really cool to see an Iranian player do well in one of the bigger leagues. Taremi being a hit in Portugal is nice, but the Bundesliga's a level above that imo.

Shame none of the Iranians that have played in England have really been a hit. Fun fact: the first black player to play for United, Dennis Walker, was half-Iranian (like me!). He only played 1 match for United though. He passed in the 1996 Manchester bombing, sadly.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Coma said:

He came on at the weekend against Bayern.  I didn't catch whether that was his debut or not.  Wearing the 9 shirt.

According to his insta it was his debut. I wanted to watch it, but I was unable to.

On 07/03/2022 at 15:05, Dr. Gonzo said:

According to his insta it was his debut. I wanted to watch it, but I was unable to.

He's missed 2 sitters so far in this Köln match. Poor guy is nervous af.

Archived